Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long term report on Denim paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 05:32 PM
darkvisorman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Long term report on Denim paint

wish i had gone for vivid black rather than denim.

Custom paint job coming up!!!

Old 04-25-2007, 05:35 PM
rmv42158
Intermediate

Thats what turned me off aswell.I wanted it but then heard about the finishso i went with black pearl and glad i did.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:31 AM
scott_shoe
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deadeye,
I have an 07 Night Train with Black denim paint and although the paint makes it look sinister and old school it does show every little scratch. I have a few scratches from wiping the tank with anything but a soft rag and a few spots on the fender from when I relocated the directionals. Harley does have "touch-up" denim and denim clear coat but it is obvious that a touch up was performed
If I had to do it over again I would probably get the gloss black (a bit more forgiving) or possibly a lighter denim (black shows everything).
Scott

Old 05-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Asphalt Cowboy
Advanced

Sorry to hear that so many of you are having trouble with the denim paint. I guess I'm the devil's advocate on this thread..... Got an '07 Train in Black (what else is there?) Denim. I've had her about a year and the ONLY scratch, imperfection, or anything other than flat black that I have on my tins I put there just last weekend. I scratched the rear fender, under the strut, while installing my newkick a$$ sissy bar. Other than that, nothing. If Iget gas on the tank at the pump, I grab a wet and a dry one of those nasty little blue paper towels from the squeegie and whipe it off. I've had bags bungee'd to the bobtail countless times.... point is, maybe I'm just one lucky SOB, but I love the paint. I had some limited production color scheme on my old sporty and that, my friends, was a pain in the **** to take care of. Swirl marks, scratches, smudged spots from dried bug guts..... Just my experience, butI hope your's is/gets better!

Old 05-08-2008, 01:03 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

ONLY HAVE 1200 MILES ON MY BIKE. NO MARKS YET. i am not concerned with how long the paint will last because i average a year to 18 months with any given bike, then sell it or trade it in...either way, i am careful as usual, but i love the look of the denim and if it fades a little i think it will give it some character.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also read in another thread (when I was interested in this finish) that you can wear "shiny" spots into it, like where your legs rub the tank. A body man came on and said there was no way to get those out other than reshoot the finish. FWIW.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:09 PM
blackness
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: darkvisorman

you have to be real careful with zips from jackets etc,
ORIGINAL: scott_shoe

I have a few scratches from wiping the tank with anything but a soft rag
Those two posts above kill me, geez.

I don't know about everybody else but I'm always careful about what comes into contact with my bikes paint. I don't want scratches in my paint no matter if its shiny or matte. I can tell you I've had my bike for about10 monthsand have @ 9k miles on it and it still looks great, no fading or anything. Also I don't have any shiny spots worn into it either. Mine is the Pacific Blue Denim and it is very forgiving. Like someone said, if you splash gas on the paint you can just wipe it off and you can't even tell it. You can wipe it off with those cheap *** paper towels at the pump and it doesn't harm the paint. Try that with vivid black and look at all the tiny scratches and swirl marks that are left.

That being said, I do have a scratch in mine from where a hook from my bag scuffed it. If it were shiny I could sand it out and buff it, but with the denimI just have to live with it. Overall I like the denim and I would get it again.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:38 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm into my third year on my bike and about thirty thousand miles,ride to work every day it's not raining and really have not had any probs with the denim paint. I'm not real careful with the paint but don't have any bad nicks or scratches and if the paint has faded it's been so gradual that I haven't noticed it.

I've gathered up a complete set of used tins for a custom paint job if I ever get up the money but I'll keep the old set cause I really do like the color.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 05-10-2008, 03:28 AM
FREEFALL
Road Master

I love mine. Had it just about a year. Had a Vivid Black Super Glide before this and hated trying to keep that thing clean. I always use a scratch free cloth and I have no swirl marks and no scratches. I'm in Okinawa and rains about every other day. Bike sits outside and I ride in the rain about "every other day". Super easy to clean and doesn't spot after its been rained on.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:09 AM
mike@nhca.us
Tourer

Love the finish, it is what it is, and I have not even begun to get tired of it, ditto on another tins in 5-10 years with keeping original.

I have minimal if any marks, but I keep bikes a long time withminimal marks. I also keep a small bag of windex wipes to clean whenever, its all you ever need.

I like the black primer before a custom paint job look and am frankly bored by the other softail custom paint colors and tank graphics.

I like the badges on the trains and on my custom.

It isdifferent the same way a night train is different, it downplays chrome and shiny.

just my opinion, as an owner.

Mike

Quick Reply: Long term report on Denim paint