Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things to Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 05:48 AM
retep2281
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Things to Chrome

I'm thinking of putting some chrome on my 2003 fxst and i was wondering what would the most important things to chrome be. I know the primary but what else could i do that wont cost an arm and a leg, but will really give the bike some pop while its sitting there. I was looking at some of the Kuryakyn chrome covers but im not sure if theyre good. Does anyone have any experience with them. Thanks for the imput.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:44 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts
Default RE: Things to Chrome

I have Kuryakyn's Primary, Lower base cover, Transmission cover and Oil line cover. Look great and were delivered in perfect condition. I would say their products are much better then allot of HD's made in Tiawan crap. Everytime I buy aHD chrome piece I have to inspect it before I leave the dealership. I always find scratches or blemishes in the chrome. $50+ dollars of chromed tin foil in a box [:@]

Old 04-04-2007, 08:20 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

I bought a set of chrome engine screws and handlebar clamp screws from Harley. Two of the four clamp screws rusted almost immediately. I also note that much of what I bought from Harley is almost chrome finish plastic... like grips, for example.

I think the best thing to do is go to a big bike event and make note of what you see that you like. If you are going to do the install yourself, and you live where there isn't a year round riding season, then consider finding a really good plating service (Browns in Padukah, KY for example) and have them do the chrome work.

For example, I really don't like chromed outer primary covers without the inner being chromed, too... just my personaly preference.

C#

Old 04-04-2007, 08:58 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not into "cover up" pieces of any kind, and that's what Kury is all about.
The only thing on my bike that is Kury are the mirrors, which have a huge pit in the stem from cheap casting by not using billet aluminum, andanoil line cover.. My dealer brought in two more stems from Kury, and both replacements were scratched from cheap packaging. Maybe my case is isolated, I don't know.
They do make some different stuff that nobody else makes, such as the rubber oil line cover under the oil tank.

I have never purchased a piece of MoCo chrome that wasn't perfect, and I bought a lot.
Screws? It's all about careful installation in not cracking the chrome in the screw head.

Do yourself a favor, use Zanottis for your chrome purchases.
JMHO.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:01 AM
jimb
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't do the tires.It just wears off.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

ORIGINAL: jimb

Don't do the tires.It just wears off.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 04-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

Fork lowers and inner primary. No covers, just replace.

Joe

Old 04-04-2007, 11:37 AM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

..shifter linkage..prefer stainless over chrome, HD has them..fork lowers..mirrors..headlight trim ring..pegs..A/C cover or medallion..levers..switch housings.. thats a good start.. you know..
HD/ "Hundred Dollars" at leastwhat it costs to get out of the dealer.
Later

Old 04-04-2007, 01:28 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: George C

The only thing on my bike that is Kury are the mirrors, which have a huge pit in the stem from cheap casting by not using billet aluminum,
I had similar experiance with there magnum mirrors, It took 4 mirrors before I got 2 that were good. I use thier grips and pegs, but for the engine chrome it's all HD, I just bought the engine kit from M&M cycles instead of piece by piece, saved money that way.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:39 PM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fork sliders, fork tins, inner primary cover, swingarm...DON'T cover, replace! Zanotti is the place to go! HD chrome is very good! JMHO

Steve

Quick Reply: Things to Chrome