Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Vision and Soft Tail

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014 | 11:10 AM
TenMidgets
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Power Vision and Soft Tail

I bought the Vigilante EZ to tune the initially because it was cheaper than a Harley tune.

The bike is running a stage I but now I want more options. I have put off buying the Power Vision because they don't seem to have a lot of options for 14 Soft tails. Anyone using this to tune their new Soft Tails? I think i want to play with the settings and read temps etc for fun. Obtaining the best tune without going for Xeids or Dyno would be the goal. MPGs does not matter. Cool and smooth ride does.

I notice a lot of maps for older 103s. I cannot imagine why they would not work on a 2014.

Old 07-03-2014 | 11:40 AM
DAV
Cruiser

I use PV - if you can't find a base tune that you feel is close enough just email them with your bikes specifics and they'll email you one. There isn't much for 96" softails either - let alone options for 96" that's punched to 103 with cams, heads, custom air cleaner... they had a baseline tune for me in just a few hours - I flashed that tune and did one auto tune ride - I had my local dyno man check it and all he said was "I couldn't tune it any better if you had a gun to my head" (and he's pretty damn good). I couldn't be happier with Power Vision - not cheap - but VERY good at what it does.

Old 07-03-2014 | 11:58 AM
TenMidgets
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by DAV
I use PV - if you can't find a base tune that you feel is close enough just email them with your bikes specifics and they'll email you one. There isn't much for 96" softails either - let alone options for 96" that's punched to 103 with cams, heads, custom air cleaner... they had a baseline tune for me in just a few hours - I flashed that tune and did one auto tune ride - I had my local dyno man check it and all he said was "I couldn't tune it any better if you had a gun to my head" (and he's pretty damn good). I couldn't be happier with Power Vision - not cheap - but VERY good at what it does.
Good news. $400 is cheap when compared to the multitude of dynos and tunes one will need changing out parts.

Old 07-03-2014 | 12:04 PM
CajunIron
Cruiser

I highly recommend getting your PV through Fuel Moto awesome customer service and they will take care of you. They did a baseline map for me and it ran bad ***. Ran the auto tune and it just got better.

Old 07-03-2014 | 12:43 PM
TenMidgets
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by CajunIron
I highly recommend getting your PV through Fuel Moto awesome customer service and they will take care of you. They did a baseline map for me and it ran bad ***. Ran the auto tune and it just got better.
Yeah maybe worth spending $100 more for support. But I don't need the attachments. I won't be riding with the PV hooked up. PIA to disconnect it and nowhere to lock it up on a Heritage.

Old 07-03-2014 | 12:56 PM
CajunIron
Cruiser

It plugs into your data port takes maybe a minute to do. Comes with mounting hardware if you want to place it on the bars otherwise u download your tune and remove the screen. If you run auto tune then toss it in a saddle bag or pockets go for a ride then flash the learned values and be done with it. I love the display on mine. Gives me mpg, head temp etc. Mines on a 2014 and is fully supported.

Old 07-03-2014 | 01:16 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
I have put off buying the Power Vision because they don't seem to have a lot of options for 14 Soft tails. Anyone using this to tune their new Soft Tails? I think i want to play with the settings and read temps etc for fun.
Buying it through FuelMoto is well worth the extra cost. I went that route and could not be any happier with their support.

Originally Posted by CajunIron
+1 on this!

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Yeah maybe worth spending $100 more for support. But I don't need the attachments. I won't be riding with the PV hooked up. PIA to disconnect it and nowhere to lock it up on a Heritage.
You say you want to play with settings and read temps, but you don't want it hooked up to the bike. You need the PV to be hooked up to the bike for that to work.

While being able to flash a tune from the PV to the bike is extremely convienent, the real value of the product comes from what it can do while attached to the bike. Autotune is one huge feature that cannot be utilized if the device is sitting at your house.

As CajunIron said, you can have the PV hooked up and leave it in your saddlebag so you can run the autotune. I did that before I ran the wire under the tank to hard mount it to the bars.

If you still have no desire to have the PV connected to the bike while riding, then I would look for another product. That is just the honest truth.

Old 07-03-2014 | 02:36 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master

Originally Posted by sioux565
As CajunIron said, you can have the PV hooked up and leave it in your saddlebag so you can run the autotune. I did that before I ran the wire under the tank to hard mount it to the bars.

If you still have no desire to have the PV connected to the bike while riding, then I would look for another product. That is just the honest truth.
As a PV owner I would disagree. I personally don't want a cable and mount on my bars. When I do run AutoTune I just throw it in my swingarm bag, but I haven't done that for 2-3 years now, it just sits at home, and I still feel that the PV was worth it.

Old 07-03-2014 | 02:47 PM
TenMidgets
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by UT-rckr
As a PV owner I would disagree. I personally don't want a cable and mount on my bars. When I do run AutoTune I just throw it in my swingarm bag, but I haven't done that for 2-3 years now, it just sits at home, and I still feel that the PV was worth it.
Yeah same here. I don't need the distraction necessarily while riding. Instantaneous MPGs are not important to me, I already can read RPMS, and oil temps. I just want the best tuner with the best support. Not an expensive "gauge set" to have to disconnect when I park somewhere. As long as it can read and reset stored codes and make adjustments without having to be on the bike all the time..
Anything to keep my bike from the dealership's garage In that regard it will pay for itself even in my tool box drawer after an Auto tune where it will be in my bags. Don;t have any room for it on the bars anyway with my Eklipse and NUvi GPS mount,

From what I have been reading the PV2 is the best home tuner out there. Vigilante EZ was good enough to get a basic tune. But I think it would be good to dial it in and have a code reader as well.

Last edited by TenMidgets; 07-03-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2014 | 03:18 PM
Haxxor
Cruiser

PV2 the best? One day its the PV, the next its the Vance & Hines FP LCD, I can't keep up! lol

So many options!

Quick Reply: Power Vision and Soft Tail