Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else run out of gas today? Anybody? No?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 02:12 PM
mtnbkr62
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I taught my son a lesson when he first started to ride the Sporty, 1 know how far you can go before you run out of gas, Needless to say I caught up to him pushing the sporty down the street, and two never rely on the auto shutoff at a gas pump.
Damn glad to see I am not the only one who uses the squeegee at the pump for a quick bike wash

Old 07-01-2014, 04:32 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
i have heard that times are so hard, that many dealerships have a porter go steal a few ounces from each bike in the parking lot to help defray the cost of doing warranty work and giving demo rides to clowns. supposedly most commonly occurs in the southeastern states.
Is that why they call them stealerships? now I get it..............

Old 07-01-2014, 05:50 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,798 Likes on 11,583 Posts

I'm going to buy two of the Reda cans. Although they are designed for side bags, I'm going to strap them in place in the Trike trunk. They will be for "just in case"...and hopefully not for me to think I have an extra 2 gallons. Should be handy riding the Black Hills in a few weeks during Sturgis week.

I read another thread on the Redas, and folks seemed happy with them.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Racer78
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I came close 2 days ago. I had to run my tank low to recalibrate my recent install of a RSD fuel gauge. Figured I'd take a chance and run it down rather than drain it. It started sputtering at 320kms / 198mi just as the gas station I was heading to came into view. I figured it was push time but got lucky. Needless to say, the gauge is about as accurate as its going to get haha

Old 07-01-2014, 06:01 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts
Thumbs up What he said.

[QUOTE=gusotto;12931839]No reason to run out of gas. Just fill at a pre-determined mileage from your odometer.
3.3 gal on my Sportster and have never run out. I get gas every 100 miles or so. I know the reserve needs to kick in about 120. Even when traveling out west, never ran out. You just have to monitor your miles, not relying on that Harley electronic fuel guage. It isn't reliable!
Same with the Ultra. I pick a distance I want to fill up. Besides, I like to get off the bike and stretch. Shouldn't be running those FI bikes so low as the gas in the tank is the coolant for the fuel pump. You run the chance of burning up the fuel pump and they aren't cheap.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:16 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

A couple of weeks ago I found out how much NOT to fill a Breakout. I stopped for gas on my short drive to work (5mi), and decided to fill it up past the bottom of the neck. Noontime came and there's gas coming out in front of the rear tire - it'd been in the sun all morning. Dumb idea - unscrew the pop-up cap, and WHOOSH! I'm covered with gas. Needless to say, a lesson learned the hard way. Never overfill unless you're going to burn the excess off right away on the road.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:36 PM
*tragic*
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The results of splashing gas & no paint savers...being repaired as we speak

Old 09-28-2016, 08:06 PM
Maximus924
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

The day I bought my '12 Nightster I drove it the 30 miles home, it came from a reputable Ducati shop that got it as a trade in, they did a full service and it had a 30 day warranty on all parts so I wasnt too concerned, but then 5 miles from home the bike hesitated a bit. thats weird... pulled into the slow lane and it did it again, but when I dropped the trottle it was fine. pulled into the gas station on the exit to my house. I put 3.2Gal in a 3.3Gal tank.... Id say I had about 2 more miles before I was pushing.

Turned out the low fuel light sensor was faulty. They replaced it the next week under their warranty. Haven't had any issues since, as the idiot light gets me to a station ASAP if I haven't already filled up at my 90 mile odometer mark...

Last edited by Maximus924; 09-28-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:15 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,865 Likes on 808 Posts

I've never run completely out of gas, but I HAVE had to flip to the reserve a few times when pushing a tank on a long ride day (gotta love the reserve on a carbed bike.). I do know that Reaper is good for well over 200 miles on a tank at highway speed (avg. 75 mph).

Cheers!

Old 09-28-2016, 09:50 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Don't ever overfill the tank and go straight out onto a quiet highway at 70mph. A mouthful of gas isn't nice.

Quick Reply: Anybody else run out of gas today? Anybody? No?