Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken starter ring gear teeth... AGAIN !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 04:58 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Broken starter ring gear teeth... AGAIN !!

First the orig ring gear broke 1 tooth. I replaced it with the Evolution gear and starter drive kit from JP cycles a little over two years ago.. It was supposed to be the cure all for starter drive issues on the 07 up 6 spd trans.

Today leaving work it made a god awful noise on start up. With the loud KABANG and following grinding noise, I knew I either broke the starter drive or ring gear. All the way home I kept thinking it had to be the starter drive since its was a top of the line Evolution ring gear. When I got home, I pulled the primary and was surprised and disappointed to find 3 teeth broken off the ring gear.

SUM BEACH !!!!

Unfortunately JP has a 6 month warranty. Oh well. I just hate to buy another gear set from the same manufacture.

Any other choices out there for the 07 up 106 tooth pressed on ring gear ?

HD's primary driveline sure leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:52 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 791 Likes on 384 Posts

Been there! My 94 chewed up the ring gear and jack shaft gear. I replaced the origional (10 tooth jack/108 tooth ring) with an upgrade 9/64. So far no issues with the upgrade. Mine broke on a weekend run with the club. Nothing like that "rocks in a blender" sound when you're 4 hrs from home on the start of run.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:14 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

the sound itself is sickening and just sounds expensive.

I wish I knew why it keeps eating ring gear teeth though. I need to check the IP bearings for play real close.

I'e heard of some speculating its the comp kicking back. I did have the SE comp, but it got messed up with the oil starvation issue so I reinstalled the original style comp with an extra spring in it to tighten it up. it seems to shift fine and no heavy clunk going into 1st gr.

I will be installing the BDL screw style comp along with the hayden m6 tensioner with the new ring gear and starter drive.

One thing I am surprised at and thought it was odd at the time when I first installed the evolution gear. the design of the ring gear teeth themselves are straight cut and have no beveled edge for smooth drive to gear engagement.

just another one of those things that makes a person go hmmmmm !

Old 07-01-2014, 08:10 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

When was the last time you replaced the starter clutch? Thats what ate mine. Also while its apart replace the main drive gear seal to check the condition of the bearing. Hows the play in your input shaft? Did it make a death grinding noise or just snapped the gear? Could be bad splines in the clutch hub throwing the orbit off. Lots of things to look at. Once I replaced my basket, bearing, starter clutch mine lasted a long time. Don't know why yours failed so fast.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:35 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the reply soft..

I did replace the starter clutch when I replaced the ring gear. it came as a kit from evolution. when it went it, it made a loud bang/grind pretty much all at the same time, the bang was first though from what I remember. as soon as it happened I let of the start button and said ***** !!!.. hit the starter again and it just grind away. since I was on a slight hill, I pulled the clutch, into 1st let it roll and bumped the ring into a new spot. it engaged ok, but when it came around to the missing teeth it would grind and skip and catch itself. luckily it started for me.

when I got home I pulled the primary to inspect. I didn't pull the chain, put I did grab a hold of the clutch basket and see if it was loose, it seemed ok, but the chain was on and I still run the auto tensioner so there is tension on the basket. i'm going to go out tonight and pull the chain and check for play.

I did away with the stock IP bearing, and seal sleeve a few yrs ago with a roller unit. Its never had a leak since, so I have to assume the IP bearing is ok or it would be leaking, but you know what they say about assuming. i'll have to check it closer when I get it all apart. i'll check the clutch hub teeth and bearing also.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:18 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Also wouldnt hurt to give Evolution a call too. That is one thing you give up with a harder grade of steel in a ring gear is wear. They are not as forgiving being that they are a harder steel.