Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014 | 08:57 AM
dochawken
|
Road Master
Default I need help

I know this is the wrong forum, but no responses in the electrical forum. Have a 98 Fatboy, changted the switch housings to chrome, put everything together and now brake light from front or rear, no turn signals. Brake switch is intact...bike starts and runs fine.Running lights work fine...is there an accessory fuse I could have blown? No SM...thanks in advance.

Old 06-28-2014 | 09:22 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Old 06-28-2014 | 09:45 AM
dochawken
|
Road Master

Thank you for that benign response...if I wanted to wait another week to ride I could have done it myself. I will see if someone on the VTwin forum will have a constructive comment...because yours was useless.

Old 06-28-2014 | 10:23 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Hold on Dude, that's a common reply here not one meant to be rude or unhelpful. Did you cut and tape or anything? If so I suggest heat shrink. Maybe a wire is grounding out or 2 wires touching. Lastly fuses, not sure on a 98 but maybe under the seat? Do you have a 2 pronged test light? I am always interested in an electrical problem and it's solution. Good luck and let us know what you find.

EDIT: Don't blow the sight off Dude, it is the best one, most informative, a few TOP vendors and a lot of great people.

Last edited by tbonetony06; 06-28-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-28-2014 | 10:41 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
EDIT: Don't blow the sight off Dude, it is the best one, most informative, a few TOP vendors and a lot of great people.
At 350 post on this forum one would think skin would be a bit thicker.

I think posting a link to where a manual can be obtained is helpful, however the post could have been worded like:

"I can't help you on your specific problem, but you might want to just get a manual in case nobody can be of help here, below is a link to one".

That being said I think tbonetony is sending you on the right direction.
Obviously it was something related to the wiring work that was done since the housings don't control anything.

The best troubleshooting fix here is to retrace your steps in installing the housing and perhaps reconfigure everything the way it was and start all over again.

Old 06-28-2014 | 11:20 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

long story short- you need a wiring diagram.

I don't have one for that year/model

but you'll have to trace through the scheme, testing as you go until the fault is found

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-28-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-28-2014 | 03:38 PM
dochawken
|
Road Master

mike[/QUOTE]
Fuses test good...had the ignition switch fail at the same time I was doing the housing replacement...think perhaps the faulty switch triggered a relay or inline fuse. Got the brake light switch to work by shimming, now the brake light worksnfront and rear but pupse 3 times before constant. Horn and turn signals still nonfunctional.

Last edited by dochawken; 06-28-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-28-2014 | 03:46 PM
dochawken
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Hold on Dude, that's a common reply here not one meant to be rude or unhelpful. Did you cut and tape or anything? If so I suggest heat shrink. Maybe a wire is grounding out or 2 wires touching. Lastly fuses, not sure on a 98 but maybe under the seat? Do you have a 2 pronged test light? I am always interested in an electrical problem and it's solution. Good luck and let us know what you find.

I don't suffer fools, it annoys me. If I had the SM I would be riding the bike today..but not having access, I asked for help. You are correct..there are many good people on these sites, but they usually come with constructive comment. I have seen that mindless SM response adnauseum...felt it stupid the first time I saw it posted and have not changed my kind. But I can appreciate your comment, just don't agree with it.

Old 06-28-2014 | 04:27 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dochawken
Fuses test good...had the ignition switch fail at the same time I was doing the housing replacement...think perhaps the faulty switch triggered a relay or inline fuse. Got the brake light switch to work by shimming, now the brake light worksnfront and rear but pupse 3 times before constant. Horn and turn signals still nonfunctional.
If the pulse intervals are the same before constant (versus flickering), you probably have a brake light modulator. It usually installs under the seat. Most have a few patterns to choose from. Are you sure it wasn't this way beforehand?

If you haven't already, pull the seat, check the fuses and look for a brake light modulator. If the turn signal bulbs are incandescent, check the bulbs. Stranger things can happen.

Old 06-28-2014 | 04:29 PM
dochawken
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bluraven
At 350 post on this forum one would think skin would be a bit thicker.

I think posting a link to where a manual can be obtained is helpful, however the post could have been worded like:

"I can't help you on your specific problem, but you might want to just get a manual in case nobody can be of help here, below is a link to one".

That being said I think tbonetony is sending you on the right direction.
Obviously it was something related to the wiring work that was done since the housings don't control anything.

The best troubleshooting fix here is to retrace your steps in installing the housing and perhaps reconfigure everything the way it was and start all over again.
I agree...have done that..out of options. If I seem thin skinned you are probably correct....was in private practice for years, have little regard for unproductive comments...I look for answers, not lectures. Those that come here with constructive comments, those that will help with some immediacy, I respect. If you bring comments to lecture..I have little regard.

Quick Reply: I need help