Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fueling up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014 | 04:12 PM
BakoOil82
Advanced

I used to haul/deliver fuel. You are somewhat right in your thinking but also all tanks are now filled from the bottom up. It is a gravity drop but the fill pipe goes all the way to the bottom of the tank so there is no splashing effect. All pumps are filtered in the pump itself and like it was said it all goes back to how often the stations change their filters.

Old 06-27-2014 | 06:27 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member

how do you know that a load of fuel was not delivered 3 minutes before you got there?

Old 06-27-2014 | 07:43 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
I see your cause for concern. It makes sense that the tanker trucks would stir up the sediment in the storage tanks.

As for running your tank low, I believe that's inapplicable to the Harleys. The fuel pump and filter are located in our tanks already, and the filter practically sits on the bottom of the tank. It's different in our cars, where the pump is in the fuel lines, along with the fuel filters.

Just my thoughts...

very few cars now a days has an inline fuel filter. 99% of fuel injected vehicles have the fuel pump in the tank and the filter is mounted on the inlet of the pump..

my dad taught me when I got my license at 16 to never get gas when a tanker was dumping fuel. the quality of fuel then wasn't what it is now, but dirt and water hasn't changed. I won't knowingly put stirred up fuel in any of my vehicles.. two or 4 wheel. an engines and engine.

Old 06-27-2014 | 07:57 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
If you have never thought of it, when you go to fill up and you see a gas tanker making a drop pull back out and leave. It stirs the tank up and tiny particulates are floating throughout the tank and do so for about an hour before it settles back down. It also mixes the moisture that is in the tank, if there is any, with the gas.

All pumps have filters on them but I never trust the health of my bike on someone else's equipment. This is one of the main reasons I never run my bike down close to empty, especially when out and away from home. I want the option of being able to pull back out and going to another gas station. Just food for thought.
Excellent recommendation Tony. I have followed this rule for years.

Originally Posted by hattitude
You really can't tell unless you knew someone who worked at the station.

I've seen people try to hurry and fill up before the tanker starts to offload.... just that the tanker is there, is a good sign the tanks are low...

I noticed that when our tanks were very low.... the pumps would run slowly. That could be due to low fuel in the tanks, or full pump filters....

That's another sign to go to another station
That's what I do. If I see the pumps running slow I stop fueling and go to another station.

Originally Posted by dan conner
how do you know that a load of fuel was not delivered 3 minutes before you got there?
There in lies the rub. You don't know if you are in that 1 hour window of recent fuel delivery.

Old 06-27-2014 | 09:31 PM
tbonetony06
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Redbeard719, what I meant about not running my tank low was that I don't want to run it low to where I am forced to get gas at a station that has a tanker there dropping fuel. I look for gas when I know I have enough gas in my tank so that if that is happening, I can pull back out and have enough fuel in my tank to make it to another station.

On a 2nd note though it is because the fuel filter and pump IS in the tank that I do try to be a little more careful what goes in there. It's a much bigger pain in the a$$ to tear down, clean a tank or replace a filter as apposed to an inline filter.

If I pull into a station and the pump is running dog a$$ slow I turn it back off, hang it back up, go pay my .56 in fuel and go to the next station. Another reason I leave enough gas to make it to another station.

If I am out and away from home for the day, weekend, whatever, I try to stop where I can eat or at least use the bathroom, have a smoke, and have a smoke. I frequent those places. I can go in, do whatever it is I do and watch the fuel islands. I'm not **** about it but why not? I have had pretty good luck when out on the road but I did get bad gas one time and it really sucked. That tank followed and cursed me for 2 days, ping, pop, spit, sputter, plugs. I guess there is worse but I don't wanna find out.

All that said and done, when out on the road, you are at a stations, fates, lucks, karmas and destiny mercy!!!