Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014 | 08:24 AM
rcrane
Advanced

Try adjusting your cable until the clutch lever is tight then back off where you have about 1/16 to 1/8 inch of play. I had to do this with my 2013 Breakout.

Old 06-25-2014 | 08:54 AM
funbikerchick
Tourer

Originally Posted by mjrfd99
When ya ride it long enough you'll probably get the feel for stepping it down from 2-N w/o even using the clutch. Our old Sportster is NEVER is good at finding N, our old Shovel is a little better but still can be a bit be tight. Always stepped from 2 to N at correct road/RPM speed. Our 07 Heritage was tight @ 1400 mi when bought - by 2000 mi it was way better and shifts smooth, I still by habit, when slowing just step it out of 2 to N no clutch at the correct road/RPM speed
I usually prefer to stop and keep in in first until I am sure the person behind (or until some one is behind me) stops. So, this is why I am normally trying to find neutral from first, first with no RPMs.

Old 06-25-2014 | 08:56 AM
dandrumheller
Road Master

I just stepped up to an '08 FLSTN this past weekend from an '02 XL1200C. Granted my Softail has almost 18k on the odometer, but the difference is pretty dramatic, between the two, for me. The sportster was EASY to find neutral most of the time (except when hot, then sometimes it took forever - never really figured out what the deal was with that), so much so that I really had to be conscious of upshifting to second when leaving a light - I'd miss the shift once or twice a ride. Pretty embarrassing to rap the throttle open (with drag pipes) in neutral in traffic.

The Softail takes a much softer tap to hit neutral. about half the force, and half the throw distance on the lever. Some of this is due to the transmission I'm sure, which is much smoother shifting. Not sure if more of it is because of the amount of mechanical 'slop' (or lack thereof on the Deluxe) in the shift linkage setup. I'm much more reliable hitting second gear on the Softail (though I did miss the shift once yesterday), and I'd rather have that than an easy to find neutral - missing a shift to 2nd in traffic could potentially be a safety issue. I very rarely use neutral while actually riding. I haven't gotten used to heel/toe shifting yet, so all of this comparison is strictly toe shifting on the Deluxe. I'm sure once I start heel shifting, the first to second miss will be even less likely.

Old 06-25-2014 | 08:59 AM
Steve635
Cruiser

My advice is it's not really necessary to mess with anything, my Slim was exactly the same way. I've only had it a little over 3 months and now it slips right into neutral. Mine very gradually, got slightly better as I rode, then was dramatically better after the 1000 mile service. Just be patient.

Old 06-25-2014 | 09:08 AM
vheflin
Road Captain

I'd check to see if the primary has a little too much fluid. If overfilled you can have difficulty finding neutral.

Old 06-25-2014 | 09:24 AM
ftworthcowboy
Road Captain

Maybe it is just me but I have always found it easier to find neutral going down from Second in all of the Harleys I have owned.

Old 06-25-2014 | 09:46 AM
Dwair
|
Intermediate

Well I will mention, I did have the heel shifter removed. So I use only the Toe shifter.

Old 06-25-2014 | 09:55 AM
Steve635
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dwair
Well I will mention, I did have the heel shifter removed. So I use only the Toe shifter.
Me too, it will get better, patience grasshopper.

Old 06-25-2014 | 08:23 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

1, Give it a few miles to loosen up.
2, Downshift to 1st then into neutral, rocking it can help.
3, Switch to synthetic, I only use Amsoil and it barely even "clicks" when shifting. It's never ideal to start or turn a bike off when in gear.

Old 06-25-2014 | 08:34 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member

One thing that will help is going with another trans gear lube. I run RedLine Shock Proof. There are other brands that will also work. Is't just the nature of the beast & it should improve, along with your techniques.

Quick Reply: Finding Neutral