Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014 | 10:17 AM
krzldy1949
|
6th Gear

where is the vent tube? would that be easier to check or replace ??

Old 06-24-2014 | 11:00 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by krzldy1949
no it does not whine - makes a slight hissing / bubbling noise though
I'm convinced that it's your vent tube and or the check valve. It's worth checking out. FYI, the vent tube for my bike was back-ordered from Harley and took about 2 weeks to get.

Old 06-24-2014 | 11:10 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by krzldy1949
where is the vent tube? would that be easier to check or replace ??
It's in the gas tank. If you have a service manual you can see the tube in the schematics. You'll have to drain and remove the tank to gain access to the tube.

Old 06-24-2014 | 12:02 PM
camo36
Advanced

I don't think it's a hose issue or vent tube issue. Something electrical. Really surpised that changing out that relay didnt help the issue. If it was a hose issue the fuel pump would still try to prime and you'd still hear the whine noise from the fuel pump when you turn on the IGN. Gotta be something electrical not powering up the fuel pump. System Relay, fuse, wiring...

when the IGN is turned on the fuel pump should start(whine) for a few seconds while is pressurizing the discharge line to the injectors. if the bike is not started the whine will stop after a few seconds. so if the IGN was on and the pump was cycling on and off mulitple times that, to me, would indicate a discharge tube leak inside(or outside) the tank. But being that the pump is not making any noise at all when the IGN is turned on tells me that it's electrical.

unless i'm misinterperting what the OP is stating, which has been known to happen.

just my .02

Last edited by camo36; 06-24-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2014 | 12:32 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by camo36
I don't think it's a hose issue or vent tube issue. Something electrical. Really surpised that changing out that relay didnt help the issue. If it was a hose issue the fuel pump would still try to prime and you'd still hear the whine noise from the fuel pump when you turn on the IGN. Gotta be something electrical not powering up the fuel pump. System Relay, fuse, wiring...

when the IGN is turned on the fuel pump should start(whine) for a few seconds while is pressurizing the discharge line to the injectors. if the bike is not started the whine will stop after a few seconds. so if the IGN was on and the pump was cycling on and off mulitple times that, to me, would indicate a discharge tube leak inside(or outside) the tank. But being that the pump is not making any noise at all when the IGN is turned on tells me that it's electrical.

unless i'm misinterperting what the OP is stating, which has been known to happen.

just my .02
The OP said he heard a hiss and bubbling noise when he turned on the IGN. Thats exactly what mine did a couple weeks ago before my indy found the crack in the vent tube. Along with hissing, I could hear a bubbling noise...same as OP. One thing that makes me think you could be right is my bike would still start but would pop thru the intake and ran very rough. Hopefully the OP will find out soon and let us know.

Old 06-24-2014 | 12:54 PM
camo36
Advanced

Originally Posted by HDmikie
The OP said he heard a hiss and bubbling noise when he turned on the IGN. Thats exactly what mine did a couple weeks ago before my indy found the crack in the vent tube. Along with hissing, I could hear a bubbling noise...same as OP. One thing that makes me think you could be right is my bike would still start but would pop thru the intake and ran very rough. Hopefully the OP will find out soon and let us know.

yeah man, let us know what you find out.

Old 06-24-2014 | 01:13 PM
krzldy1949
|
6th Gear

where is the vent tube? can that be easily checked? thanks and to the other post - when you turn on bike it doesn't have that little whine - it kind of sizzles/hisses and bubbles slightly - any more suggestions, please?

Old 06-24-2014 | 01:16 PM
krzldy1949
|
6th Gear

also, could the empty fuel tank reading affect it starting - I dont smell any gas when I try to crank it? and it definitely has 1/2 tank - thanks

Old 06-24-2014 | 01:24 PM
krzldy1949
|
6th Gear

just went to check on bike and pulled both starter and relay switches - turned on ignition and you can still hear the little sizzling sound - coming from the ignition/ speedometer area or at least it sounds like that -

Old 06-24-2014 | 02:09 PM
krzldy1949
|
6th Gear

sorry - the sizzling sound when you turn on the ignition is coming from under the odometer area? I lifted the top console and I can hear it well. Where is the 4 second whine supposed to come from - this area or the fuel tank?

Quick Reply: cranks but won't start