Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward Controls on an FL Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:09 PM
camens
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Forward Controls on an FL Fatboy

Vertigo, did you end up splicing the rear brake light wires or did you cut the main wire tube? I was going to cut the tube, but how would you go about resealing it? Does it have to be watertight or can I use tie's? Didn't really want to have to splice any wires.

Cam

Old 08-27-2007, 09:57 PM
JimmyR
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For anyone who may be interested, I have a '98 Fatboy which I changed the foot controls on. I too dislike floorboards, so I used forward controls from Excel Components (excelcomponents.com). I used the EL series with plain rubber pegs and toe levers and they came in a lot cheaper than Accutronix. I am really happy with the quality. If you look under the heading on the side that says "brushed finish" that's my bike there! I live in Australia and just asked if they could do a brushed finish so they did. I was rather impressed with their service!

I was a bit perplexed about what to do with the whole rear brake light switch thing too. In the end I managed to gently bend the stock metal tube line to fit the Excel master cylinder It actually looks really good! I'd like to switch the little bit of rubber tubing that goes from the switch to the brake caliper eventually to braided, but I figure that seeing as the majoity of the line is rigid metal tube then I wouldn't gain too much by going to braid.

I have no affiliation with Excel but I couldn't be happier with both the service and the product. I think a lot of guys who like the accutronix would really like the Excel stuff.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:07 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: camens

Vertigo, did you end up splicing the rear brake light wires or did you cut the main wire tube? I was going to cut the tube, but how would you go about resealing it? Does it have to be watertight or can I use tie's? Didn't really want to have to splice any wires.

Cam
Cut the tube, pulled it back enough to fit the thing and then taped it back up.. na, doesn't have to be water tight, its open ended in the first place, just holds everything there... yeah me either..so cut the tube enough to pull the wire back enough to get to the Tee

Old 08-28-2007, 07:32 AM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Guys need some good advice. Don't have alot of coin left after my motor rebuild, but I really am sick and tired of these boards and want forward controls bad.
I shouldn't have much of a problem in finding a set with clearance issue's because of my frame being raked, and also ride mostly w/o the front fender too.
I know Accutronix are kick **** stuff, but how about some of the lesser priced brands...
Any you would recommend? Also, I am going to go with black powdercoated too.
I've read some say look for ones w/o set screws and use ball bearings and such....
Just looking to bolt on a set with little work and not have to worry about them falling apart.
Thanks

Old 08-28-2007, 08:29 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say anything that fits the softail bikes with forward controls already would fit, you will have to put ur own custom brake line in after tho.

Accutronix is only 1" extended if its gonna fit the FB without a rake or modified the front fender.
So since you have a rake.. and all that.. go with whatever you find in your price range that fits the other softails..like the standard..or deuce or such
You will need the master cylinder tho..some kits don't come with them...(tells you to use ur old one..) that wont do coming from floorboards.

Suggest you find some nice black powder coated forward controls with heel rests something like the Airfoils but in black... look around I dunno. Or ones that at least let you add heel rests with ease(for the future) in case u figure you want em...

Old 08-28-2007, 10:12 AM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Vertigo!

Old 08-28-2007, 11:31 PM
camens
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Vertigo. Everything is done! Now if I could just get all the air from my brakes......

Old 08-29-2007, 12:06 AM
JimmyR
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tipn8r - check out my post above! I really recommend you have a look at excelcomponents.com. The forward controls I got from them were about 1/2 the price of accutronix and I can't imagine the build quality being better. The difficult bit for me was removing the crappy old HD footboards on my Fatty. The Excel FCs went on like a dream.

I do wish that they'd make some better mirrors to match.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:13 AM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is yours an 07 ? Most of us who got accutronix did so because they fit an 07 specifically as most 06 model forward controls (and earlier) will NOT fit. I agree that Accutronix are very expensive. I bought another set before them from Outlaw cycle products on ebay. It is a shame they didn't fit as they seem like they are very sturdy and look better than my accutronix controls.

DeanO

ORIGINAL: JimmyR

Tipn8r - check out my post above! I really recommend you have a look at excelcomponents.com. The forward controls I got from them were about 1/2 the price of accutronix and I can't imagine the build quality being better. The difficult bit for me was removing the crappy old HD footboards on my Fatty. The Excel FCs went on like a dream.

I do wish that they'd make some better mirrors to match.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:24 AM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any photos of your bike with the forwrd controls on??

DeanO

ORIGINAL: camens

Thanks Vertigo. Everything is done! Now if I could just get all the air from my brakes......

Quick Reply: Forward Controls on an FL Fatboy