Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward Controls on an FL Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 04:45 PM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Forward Controls on an FL Fatboy

Well i'm looking to do the same on my 95. Just sick and tired of the boards, and want more comfort!

Was looking at these on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RIGID...QQcmdZViewItem

Just not sure if 2" is enough? Not too worried about hitting the front fender, my frame is raked 3 degrees, so it should be fine.
Any input is appreciated!

Old 04-12-2007, 11:53 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: loader

I tried to tell ya. As stated above there are no direct replacements for 07 fatties...
You didn't like what I did with the Banjo switch?
Ok got it figured out after running around. Found a custom shop to sell me a T that I could bolt up there, went to put it on and it would need two 90deg angles on each end so that some custom modular brake lines wouldn't be in the way.. WTF.. went back, owner of shop was there and we talked about it. Showed me where to put the T.. uh T aint in the same place, see at least on an 07 fatty softail the T is in front of the transmission.... He showed me behind the transmission. (well that's not where stock is... blah blah) heh so anyways I get the upside to customization. I can mount the T with a tie to the spot ... wait.. my the Accutronics line... Ok he sends me off with 3 Ts and tells me to bring back the one that doesn't work for me.

I go home and since I had all this new fun information on how to deal with custom brake lines.. well I pull the Accutronix line through the places where the stock hard line went except for the T. Which ends up after than Transmission instead of before it. Presto it fits perfectly besides knowing that the T is in a different place now.. So all I am going to do is tie down the T in the new place, until I get a few to fashion up a sheet metal mount and all that. (it really doesn't need it but if u want to go all out).

I call Troy of Accutronix and we chat on how it was working out for me so far, tell him I was confused cause the T wasnt in the same place as the stock T. And that the line fits perfectly through the route of the stock line.. from forward control master cylinder down along bottom of frame, to the T which is now in the open area before the swing arm (the frame) which is above the shocks...then over the hump to the rear caliper......

Russel Lines needs to make them a line that would fit the T in the stock area(front of transmission) for total ease of putting that brakeline pressure sensor on.. but I doubt that... (heh)

All I have to do is either lengthen the rear brake light sensor wires or slice the main cover tube and pull it back a bit and re-seal the wire tube there.. just to get it to the T ..which isn't difficult at all.

All that I am about to go out and do. The Accutronix kit is sweet so far, and Troy has been good help with quick replies on my questions and how to go about dealing with the brake line issue.

I will post pictures of the progress soon, and put up a picture of where the T is now.

Oh to answer your question on the banjo sensor thing...well it's alright if that's the way you want to do it, I hear the (hehe been talking alot) the banjo senors are built a lot better than they were and they arnt to jimmy-rigged now-a-days. Also running a straight line(with decent slack...) whatever custom line you pickwould work too, dunno why you would shy away from that, would get rid of that rear hump that HD used in their routing of the brake line.. which can keep a bubble in there...if u arnt careful.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:11 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

Bah no replys.. takeing a small brake. In the middle of putting the FC shift on, just took off the shift floorboards and jiff stand.. (heh) cant take my bike down off the lift till I get my new jiff on.. ok FINE!! thats a good excuse to go back and finish.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:27 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

Here some pics of work in progress :

[IMG]local://upfiles/26427/8462505BE9914EE8A8A6BE1841246FEA.jpg[/IMG]
Brake Floorboards off and hard lined brake line off as well.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26427/77F94226D6874E929381AE49E69CD1D9.jpg[/IMG]
Forward Controls On...brake side.. peg still not on. (yet)

[IMG]local://upfiles/26427/C485A3C46E874D6E94D7C286C8B0BBB7.jpg[/IMG]
Shift Floorboards off

[IMG]local://upfiles/26427/08B29EB260D94516B5710DA6801A7DDD.jpg[/IMG]
Forward Controls Shift and linkage on as well as kickstand

[IMG]local://upfiles/26427/EB866414051B41B7ACEC1B48660DF403.jpg[/IMG]
The last picture shows that they fix the left side mount plate so it doesn't touch the main's cover. (msg to Loader)

Old 04-13-2007, 03:35 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

And one more picture tonight before I rest

Shows T before transmission, will be secureing it and putting on sensor tomorrow.
and then bleeding my brakes
then
going for a test ride :P

[IMG]local://upfiles/26427/9940A7D9584F444A8A38891314A9D982.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-13-2007, 08:59 AM
TIPN8R
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Nice job on the fab work and install! Looking to do the same too. someone is giving me a set of stock forward controls off a 2000 Custom Softail, haven't gotten them yet, but possibly looking to install them. Figured for free, why not try them.......

Old 04-13-2007, 03:04 PM
RoyBoy2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff vertigo14, thanks for posting the mod.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:44 PM
loader
Cruiser

Good Job man ! I tried to tell ya - We can't be waiting for things to show up in the catalogs.. FAB it !!
You are gonna LOVE the FWD's !! Time to take to the corners!!!

Old 04-13-2007, 10:20 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

Alright, woohoo!!!
Bleed the brakes, topped her off twice.
Went over everything again, adjusted the shift linkage and brake linkage.
Got on went down the street testing the back brake.. no problems, upshifted and downshifted ...around the block
Put my helmet on and leather jacket and went out for a short spin.. 4 hours later I am back and took a few pictures.
Gota say takeing turns and leaning into twistys is so much funner than floorboards.
I am glad I learned about my bike while changeing out the boards to forward controls.

Here is a picture:

[IMG]local://upfiles/26427/EEE48B1AE4064C45AB9B8B0EA7234E78.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-18-2007, 04:24 AM
07FattyTailgater
Advanced

Accutronix are sweet! Nice Fattys guys.....

Quick Reply: Forward Controls on an FL Fatboy