Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I lose power if

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 08:31 AM
PitBullMcCoy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I lose power if

I plan to eventually put hard bags on my '00 heritage. I'm going to have to switch to true duals to accomplish my goals. I've read on here how duals can actually lose a little power. I'm not running 2:1 now. I have some V&H pipes now which I love and may get V&H duals but I haven't heard a set yet. The engine is not at all stock. It's basically a 96" SE motor 211 cams and 40mm carb. "I would think" I wouldn't even have to tune it switching exhaust other than tweeking fuel mix slightly.

I haven't decided on a brand of pipes yet just looking for some info before I plan out my new bagger tail hopefully this winter. The attached pic is to show the pipes I have now cause I can't remember exactly which ones they are and I can't seem to locate my info sheet with all the mods listed.

Attached Thumbnails Will I lose power if-image.jpg  
Old 06-17-2014, 09:23 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,908 Likes on 2,435 Posts

I had V&H 2 on a side that I just swapped out to true duals from Sampson. I have an 04 FI Heritage. The bike may have a smidge of loss of torque but it seems quicker.. Nothing scientific, just a riding observation

Old 06-17-2014, 11:27 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 425 Likes on 302 Posts

You're actually going from "true duals" [the pipes on it now] to true duals. the new pipes will be a little longer,they may add a little power.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:56 AM
PitBullMcCoy
Cruiser

Longer pipes add power? I've never heard that. That's refreshing info no doubt. I was afraid changing pipes would kill a few horses.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:17 AM
FrozenInTime
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

The reason you lose power is because of the rear cylinder. On the duals you have, they come out and down. On Tru Duals, the rear cylinder header has to come back and twist immediately 90 degrees. This causes power loss because of the sharp turn/obstruction. I had stock headers with 2" Rush and dyno'd at 75 horses (with stage one set-up and HD SERT). Dyno'd after installing these pipes I went down to 64.9 horses (took them 2 times to get it tuned this high, first time was 61). By seat of pants feel, I gained torque on low end. I do love the look and sound of them, I have the baffled pipes. In my opinion, they are worth it, if I wanted a hot rod, I'd ride a crotch rocket.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:30 AM
PitBullMcCoy
Cruiser

It's not so much that I want a hot rod. In fact I pretty much have that actually. And terrible mileage on top of that. I was just curious about it because I've read folks on here stating their Samson's kinda dragged em down a bit. With all the engine mods I doubt I'd notice too big a diff. Most of the time there is a sacrifice for looks be it comfort or something else. If I lose a few it's ok. I want the bagger look. I'm at 96hp and 99 torque now so I suppose a couple won't kill me lol. I was looking more for a what to expect kind of thing. I appreciate all the replies guys. Now if I can just figure out which pipes to get I'll be golden lol.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:06 PM
Bulldog10
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, not a mechanic or engineer. But unrestricted exhaust flow is an issue. Those changes will affect performance unless you do other mods to accommodate the change.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:14 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

PitBullMcCoy, I had an engine build similar to yours up until this winter. I had the same cam but with all the head work I just got done I changed cams too. I did this after I had put my Samsons on. I can't speak for the V&H line of pipes. If your interested I can go on here or you can message me. I have little or no more access to the web from work anymore so I wouldn't be back home until Thur. night to reply. Also, I have FI and I had the Python 2 into 1 before I put these Samsons on.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:55 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

the SE 211's usually need a bump in Comp to shine in the lower rpms.

Long pipes in general and on the average will loose a little TQ in the lower rpm's (Under 3K) also vs other pipes.

Thinking only you and your riding style/habits, can and will decide if its too much to obtain the look you going for.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:06 AM
PitBullMcCoy
Cruiser

She's got the compression and she def shines lol. I wish I could take credit for the build but it was all my father in law. The stock rockers took a dump at 28k and he had it rebuilt from the case up with all SE parts including forged flat top pistons. I'm starting to think it won't hurt much. It's not a stage one and I'm not just throwing the pipes on and calling it a day. I could have it re-dynoed and tuned again. She's already got the components for tuning. If need be I can get a newer better air filter and the carb is damn sure big enough. I think the only issue might be the bend in the back pipe that frozen spoke of. Did a bit of research. Just from home and YouTube, the Samsons sound way better than the V&H. I think that's what I'll be going with. Either way, she will be paid off by end of summer and I'll probably just do shotgun and pipes this winter to keep from dumping an additional $6k into her. Then start planning my bagger tail.

Quick Reply: Will I lose power if