Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the engine braking so modest?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 01:25 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 386 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by jcallesano
Your comparing a Honda engine to an HD engine.
This thread is not really valid due to that factor alone.
WHY not valid? Both V-twins. Both similar displacement. Both operate in similar rpm range.

Besides, I am using the Honda as one example for which I have recent muscle memory. The Breakout is my 40th motorcycle. After 40 bikes, it strikes me as being surprisingly low in engine braking.

Jim G

Old 06-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Just a theory:
Maybe the ECM is giving the engine a little "throttle" to keep the emissions down. When intake manifold vacuum gets too high on decel, cylinder compression gets so low that the cylinder won't fire reliably, and unburned fuel goes out the exhaust.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:52 PM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jim,
Your the one that told me yourself that the BO has extremely tall gears, that alone will cause engine braking to be less even though it has noting really to do with the motor.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Jim,
Your the one that told me yourself that the BO has extremely tall gears, that alone will cause engine braking to be less even though it has noting really to do with the motor.
With extremely tall gears, one would be expected to downshift sooner, or be in a lower gear to start with, so that part is kind of a wash.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:06 PM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont really know what Jim is looking for in regards to a real answer. But it might be time to just use...maybe a little bit of brake now to simulate your engine breaking from the Honda. LOL

Old 06-17-2014, 03:36 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Just a theory:
Maybe the ECM is giving the engine a little "throttle" to keep the emissions down. When intake manifold vacuum gets too high on decel, cylinder compression gets so low that the cylinder won't fire reliably, and unburned fuel goes out the exhaust.
THAT's something that had not even occurred to me. Good question to ask. I'm not sure who can answer it though. Maybe a pro tuner? Even a pro indy tuner might not know, as an indy tuner has no reason to be concerned with emissions certification.

Jim G

Old 06-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

I dont really know what Jim is looking for in regards to a real answer. But it might be time to just use...maybe a little bit of brake now to simulate your engine breaking from the Honda. LOL
Sure, we can just use more brake, but I think Jim is clearly looking for a technical answer to a technical question.
I didn't notice much difference between my Harleys and the Breakout, when I test-drove one. And I've only spent maybe twenty minutes on a Honda VTX, and that was something like 5 years ago, so I'm under-qualified to comment on whether the decel differences are real or imagined.

Water-cooled engines can inherently maintain closer mechanical tolerances, so they may not need to rely as much on tuning workarounds to be emission compliant, to the extent that the air cooled engines do. It could make perfect sense to have the computer introduce a little throttle on decel (through the idle air control valve, or through "throttle by wire") to reduce emissions.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 06-17-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Six7One
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I wonder is if he is the highest gear for his speed when he lets off? If you shift conservatively like the owners manual recommends, the act of letting off of the throttle won't have as much an effect on engine braking.

That was the case for me when I first started riding. Now I tend to wind out the gears a little more and lifting off of the throttle usually results in immediate engine braking because I am usually at >2600 RPM when I lift.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:18 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Six7One
One thing I wonder is if he is the highest gear for his speed when he lets off? If you shift conservatively like the owners manual recommends, the act of letting off of the throttle won't have as much an effect on engine braking.

That was the case for me when I first started riding. Now I tend to wind out the gears a little more and lifting off of the throttle usually results in immediate engine braking because I am usually at >2600 RPM when I lift.
I usually keep the bike in the 2200 to 2700 rpm range when cruising, and that is also the range that I cruised the VTX in.

Heck, I recall my HD Sportster 1200 having much more impressive engine braking than my Breakout.

And my Ducati S4 Monster (916cc V-twin engine) was an absolute engine braking demon compared to the Breakout, although it did not surpass the Honda VTX 1800.

Jim G

Old 06-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,080 Likes on 5,817 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
- The Breakout is lighter in weight by over 75 lb (100 lb if both bikes were stock, but the VTX had been lightened by about 25 lb)

And, here is a final zinger: The flywheel assembly on the VTX is the heaviest one that Honda has ever put in a motorcycle.
A quick search on the internet shows

Breakout 710 pounds
VTX 734 pounds

According to my math that is not 75 lbs difference...much less a hundred...The Harley has about the heaviest flywheels of any modern motorcycle...that and the gearing is the difference...downshift one gear and you will get all the engine braking you want.

Quick Reply: Why is the engine braking so modest?