Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batwing on a Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 09:35 AM
surfnorthwest
Banned
Received 28,952 Likes on 9,573 Posts
Default Batwing on a Heritage

Getting tired of getting my *** kicked on my Heritage at 70+. Question is will a batwing significantly reduce the wind blast making cruising at hiway speeds more comfortable?

Currently I have a Memphis '21 windshield which helps but most of the wind that is bothersome is on my legs. Looking for solutions.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:58 AM
Six7One
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride with just an 18" shield at 70+ for long stretches. You could get soft lowers if leg wind is an issue on your leg.

A batwing will send the wind over and past your arms and head. Don't know if it helps with the legs or not. Fork deflectors probably would.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:09 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

search fangs. They make cold days and freeways speeds very comfortable.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 774 Likes on 469 Posts

I don't think they make a fairing for a Heritage that would decrease the leg wind at 70 mph.
If you travel that much at highway speeds, perhaps it's time to go to a touring model.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:29 AM
surfnorthwest
Banned
Received 28,952 Likes on 9,573 Posts

Thanks guys, I will look into those lowers, I have a engine guard I could snap some on. A touring bike would be nice but will have to wait until I feel better about our economy

Old 06-12-2014, 12:48 PM
rcollinsdad
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a dragonfly fairing on my Heritage and I can tell you for a fact it doesn't keep the wind off the legs. it does great keeping it off the face and chest but not the legs.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:41 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have some Chilhowee Leather soft lowers I use in winter. They do help some with wind and are of excellent quality but you are on a motorcycle so wind will always be an issue especially at highway speeds.

Have a look at these.

http://www.leatherpros.com/website1_006.htm

Old 06-12-2014, 06:45 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
search fangs. They make cold days and freeways speeds very comfortable.
X2. I have fork mounted lowers on my 2011 Heritage. I have no updraft under my helmet. There is a good air pocket behind the stock Heritage windshield and very comfortable. With regard to a Batwing on a Heritage, it is not for me. I feel the Heritage is a bike that has tradition that goes with it and the bike should look "traditional". That's only my opinion.

Last edited by checkers; 06-12-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:56 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 774 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by surfnorthwest
Thanks guys, I will look into those lowers, I have a engine guard I could snap some on. A touring bike would be nice but will have to wait until I feel better about our economy
I have lowers that I use in the winter but I don't use them above 60 degrees.
They certainly do restrict the air flow to the legs, but that also means they restrict air flow to the engine.

If I'm not mistaken the instructions state not to use them above 50 degrees due limitation of air flow needed for engine cooling.

The bike does run hotter with the lowers on so you might not want to go that route.

You know that just because the speed limit is 70 that doesn't mean you have to ride at 70.
55 mph will lessen the wind and you will still get to where you're going.

OK perhaps the 55 mph comment was a bit of a smartass remark, but that doesn't make it untrue.
The Wife and I go out of our way to travel side roads partly because we don't like the wind at highway speeds but also the scenery is so much better.

Life is too short to be in such a hurry!!!!

Last edited by Bluraven; 06-12-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:37 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

BatWing helps everywhere except the legs, however wind-deflectors do help some. I have in the pass and others I know wear their leather chaps no matter the weather and that does help! Once I got caught in a grasshopper invasion and after that I wore my chaps everywhere, but now back with jeans only. But about time to go back. Real salts wear them.....because they have already been down. Not IF, but when...so be ready!

Quick Reply: Batwing on a Heritage