Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How the heck do you hold pass peg nut

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 06:39 AM
mtiberio
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How the heck do you hold pass peg nut

Wanted to remove right side passenger peg on my '02 fatboy, and the peg goes through the muffler mount, retains the forward bag mount and has a nut on the inside that is impossible to access. Can't even fit a socket on it as it hits the inner fender (never mind the ratchet). Combination wrenches are useless as the bag mount is hollowed at the forward end, and the nut is in a 270 degree well.

Do I have to remove the rear wheel and notch the inner plastic fender to get to this nut?

m

Last edited by mtiberio; 06-12-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:41 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There shouldn't be a nut... you should need a pair of C-clip removers to remove the c-clip that holds the actual footrest on to the peg, that slides right out, then use a large star socket or allen wrench and unscrew the bolt from within the shaft and it comes right off

The whole thing

C-clip on one side

retaining bolt slides out

the bolt inside the shaft unscrews from the frame

Last edited by Sgt_Jim; 06-12-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:45 AM
mtiberio
Cruiser

You mean the threads that the bolt goes into are captive? Not a nut? I am new to Harleys, but I have seen very few (none) captive threads on my bike, most everything has a loose nut. (no pun).

Ultimately it isn't just the footpeg I want to remove, but the entire footpeg and the shaft/extension it is supported by.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:29 AM
cmosentine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stop Now. I assume you mean the passenger peg mount, not the peg itself. The passenger peg mount is held in place by a bolt which threads into the frame. There is no nut to remove. This bolt is recessed inside the peg and it has either a allen (or torc) head.

When I pulled mine I did not have deep allen socket so I ended up ruining one of my tee-handled wrenches. When I remounted it I got a longer bolt and added a few washers so the bolt head close enough for a socket to reach. Hope this helps.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:37 AM
mtiberio
Cruiser

Thanks, I'll check it all out. I peered around the back side of the saddle bag mount with a mirror, and would have sworn there was a shouldered nut on the far inside end of the peg mount bolt. I re-double my efforts...

Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow a c-clip. WTF i dont have those. I have a huge nut and bolt. Not visible anymore since i powder coated them. But still, thats way nicer.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:07 PM
mtiberio
Cruiser

just went home during lunch (yea, life's tough, I commute 1.7 miles), and confirmed that the saddle bag mount and the foot peg mount are secured by a shouldered nut. No doubt if you don't have the saddle bags on your softail then you have a shorter bolt and it stops after the threads in the frame lug. To mount the bags, they probably replace the bolt with a longer version, so that the nut can be used to secure the forward end of the bag mount. So the question remains... What do you hold this nut with??? Do I really have to remove my rear wheel or notch the plastic inner fender to get a tool on it? See picture below:

Old 06-12-2014, 04:30 PM
cmosentine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the 02 is a completely different animal from an 08. I just looked a breakout sheet and the 08 is definitely held on the a torc screw into the frame. Sorry I can't help further. The fourth picture posted by Sgt_Jim shows it nicely.