Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you have done differently?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014 | 08:16 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior

The one mod that I will do on any bike is adding the Power Vision tuner.

Old 06-11-2014 | 08:39 PM
schlacker
Stellar HDF Member

I regret buying used parts trying to save a buck even though the seller(s) say they are in "very good to excellent" condition. I should have known better.
Heal soon hero & get back in the wind!
Thank you!

Old 06-11-2014 | 08:39 PM
schlacker
Stellar HDF Member

I regret buying used parts trying to save a buck even though the seller(s) say they are in "very good to excellent" condition. I should have known better.
Heal soon my friend & get back in the wind!
Thank you!

Old 06-11-2014 | 09:10 PM
molnar70
Intermediate

Thank you for your service. There are many things you can do. 1st thing would be buy a service manual if you plan on doing the work yourself.

Attached Thumbnails What would you have done differently?-023.jpg  
Old 06-11-2014 | 09:15 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Welcome home Soldier and God's speed on healing well. I wish I had done this sooner yet I am not sorry I couldn't. I took my kids on after a divorce and raised them alone.

I wish I had never waited so long for suspension upgrades, air on back monotubes up front.

I also always assumed apes were uncomfortable and I based that on nothing! They didn't look like they were comfortable therefore they weren't, or so I thought. Internal throttle, wires and controls are the ultimate.

I also always accepted stock seating on a Harley. God what a mistake that was. Choices were limited when I was young, not so anymore. Gelfoam is some amazing $hit!

I always wanted performance but again, funds. Not so now, this is a bad *** lil 98" stroker motor. Headwork is a must.

I rode my 1st Harley, a 1969 Sportster at the tender age of 13 and never looked back. I just turned 57 and will ride to the grave.

Do it now Dude, all that you can as much as you can. Budget be damned. A wife, home, kids, all that stuff makes it hard. If your single go ***** out right out of the gate and never look back.

Old 06-11-2014 | 10:01 PM
NAME CHANGE REQUIRED
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
Welcome home Soldier and God's speed on healing well. I wish I had done this sooner yet I am not sorry I couldn't. I took my kids on after a divorce and raised them alone.

I wish I had never waited so long for suspension upgrades, air on back monotubes up front.

I also always assumed apes were uncomfortable and I based that on nothing! They didn't look like they were comfortable therefore they weren't, or so I thought. Internal throttle, wires and controls are the ultimate.

I also always accepted stock seating on a Harley. God what a mistake that was. Choices were limited when I was young, not so anymore. Gelfoam is some amazing $hit!

I always wanted performance but again, funds. Not so now, this is a bad *** lil 98" stroker motor. Headwork is a must.

I rode my 1st Harley, a 1969 Sportster at the tender age of 13 and never looked back. I just turned 57 and will ride to the grave.

Do it now Dude, all that you can as much as you can. Budget be damned. A wife, home, kids, all that stuff makes it hard. If your single go ***** out right out of the gate and never look back.
I love this Tbone. I feel like giving you a high five and buying you are beer. Great advice.

Old 06-12-2014 | 01:29 AM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

No regrets here

If I had to pick something I wish I had done sooner it would be the Shotgun Shock.

Thank you for your service.

Old 06-12-2014 | 01:50 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain

No regrets for the moment and mods aren't finished yet!
Something I can suggest is adding the Blackline console, stock gloss black or chromed depending on how you wish to mod the bike.
Obviously Stage I, Air Cleaner/Tuner/Exhaust, that's a "must".
Heal soon!

Old 06-12-2014 | 03:14 AM
Ragnar
Road Master

Start with the end in mind. Get a vision of what you want your scoot to be, and work every stroke of your mod brush to that end. A boat load of cash can be spent, only to be changed out later with a pile more because this didn't fit with that. In fact, part of the reason I chose the Slim is because I had a vision ahead of time, and it was the best "blank canvas" to work from.

Example - I put a set of grips on the stock bars, only to spend that $80 again a few months later because I finally put the apes on that I knew I wanted from the get-go. Not a huge loss, but that same $80 would have put me another 800 miles down the road, or I might have been able to fund the apes project a month earlier. Another is that, for the foreseeable future, there is NO plan to put a windshield on. Had I planned on it, the turn signals I put on the front would have to go, as they're incompatible - would have gone with something else.

Another issue I see a lot is a reluctance for some folks to do a lot of their own work. As someone above mentioned, get a service manual, and pick up a wrench. Regular maintenance and a lot of your mods can be done with a couple of simple tools and probably a jack - all can be had for the cost of a single service at the dealership.

There are TONS of folks on here who have made their scoot THEIR scoot. Find your own inspiration, do some research, and go nuts.

Old 06-12-2014 | 04:00 AM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for your service and sacrifice. Prior Service Army MP. Learned on my first bike that LED lights, the look at me kind, are a waste of money.

Quick Reply: What would you have done differently?