Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pic of a Slim (or similiar) w/ mustache bar: riding position

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 09:02 PM
fergml
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pic of a Slim (or similiar) w/ mustache bar: riding position

So I had some screws installed in my foot earlier this year. I'm riding again, but I need some alternate places to put my foot besides the boards.

What I want to see is the riding position when your feet are on on the rubber pads of a mustache bar. I have the IMT Jac-Knife highway pegs that attach to the floor boards... But it's impossible to keep your feet out that wide as the wind wants to make you do the splits. Very uncomfortable.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:50 PM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oof. Just looked to see what you were talking about with the Jac-Knife pegs... I scrape my boards too much - those look like they'd be a serious hazard.

Anyway, here's a photo of my wife on her Lo. She's 5'7". She's got Harley's whisker bars on with foot pegs - not an engine guard, just a mounting system for pegs. If she puts her feet up, she's still about as bent-legged as if she was on the boards, but a different position for an alternative. She likes it. Me, at 6'2", I'd rest my calves on the things, so they're useless for me unless, perhaps, I rolled them forward/up a bit.

She's also got a Lindby bar on her Sportster that is similar to the Mustache bar with the area for your feet to rest on top of them. Again, completely pointless for me - as with the whiskers, resting mid-calf on me.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:55 AM
fergml
Advanced

Thanks Rangar. I'm 6'0" so that's my worry... That I'd be too scrunched with my boots on the bar/pegs. I've seen guys riding and looking like they were getting a a pelvic exam. But who knows, it might be comfortable?

And yes, those floorboard highway pegs caused my to scrape on every turn and the sweepers. I ran them for a season and took them off this winter.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:04 AM
JP-FLSTFB
Tourer

Look at the cruise arms markIV they are forward of your boards a couple inches. I would do the extended ones for 6ft. They are nice for heels on board and toes up on pegs or full foot on pegs. They are adjustable.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:30 AM
AU_Bob
Intermediate

Kind of hard to see because of the black on black, but I attached pegs to my mustache bar and at 6'0, I'm very comfortable when I stretch out. They are flipped up in this pic.

Last edited by AU_Bob; 06-08-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:50 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

You could also look into the Lindby twin bar. It is a moustache type bar that has built in flip out highway bars. I had a Lindby bar on my Night Train and thought they made a great product. The various foot pegs give you lots of options.

http://www.lindbycustom.com/cart/pro...cat=252&page=1

Old 06-08-2014, 10:03 AM
fergml
Advanced

Too bad the Twinbar is chrome only. Great concept.

AU Bob... At 6 foot, are your legs straight or bent when using the pegs? Any issues with the wind pulling your legs apart? After 10 minutes with the Jac Knife pegs I had, I could barely keep my feet planted as my legs were acting as sails outside the air stream.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:25 AM
AU_Bob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fergml
AU Bob... At 6 foot, are your legs straight or bent when using the pegs? Any issues with the wind pulling your legs apart? After 10 minutes with the Jac Knife pegs I had, I could barely keep my feet planted as my legs were acting as sails outside the air stream.
Just a slight bend in the knee, if I need to completely straighten my legs out I can rest my feet on top of the pegs. I've not had an issue with wind pulling my legs apart, but I don't log a lot of highway miles where I could see that perhaps being an issue.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The twinbar could be powdered if you wanted to go that additional step/expense. Lindby does make a solid product, from all of my experience with them. A few of my friends are running their stuff, too, along with the bar on the Sporty I mentioned above.

I think you guys are probably on to the best option - pegs on an engine guard. That's what I am running on my Road King, positioned so that I have a slight bend in my knee, or can flex my foot to straighten out my legs. They could also be positioned INWARD of the engine guard, if so desired. Doesn't work for me - too cramped - but I know a couple of folks who are running theirs that way. I like having at least two places to put my feet. Often enough, I've got my left leg on the peg, my right on the floorboard - not intentional, just comfortable.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:43 PM
fergml
Advanced

Yup, sounds like the the full crash bar with pegs will provide the most flexibility. Thanks for the pics and suggestions!