Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Rider on Slim...Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014 | 01:53 PM
RadRodriguez
|
Cruiser
Default Short Rider on Slim...Ideas

I am considering trading in my Iron for a 2014 Slim. I have ridden the bike at the dealer and love the way it rides. That big motor is so smooth and the bike floats along the road. Being able to flat-foot the bike at stops makes riding the Slim more comfortable than my Iron

The problem is my short legs (5'3" tall, 28" inseam). The stock setup with floor boards and very far forward controls is not comfortable. I am aware HD makes a shorter rear brake lever and that would help, but the shifting is not comfortable.

Even more of a problem is just that the floor board are a bit too far forward and my legs are almost straight instead of having a comfortable bend in my knees.

The dealer has suggested trying the reduced reach seat. This may work but the looks of the bike are killed by this seat. I ride solo and a big 2-up seat is not an ideal solution.

I am hoping somebody knows a way/parts to move the floor boards back Even bringing them back 2-3" would be perfect. I could always match this to the shorter rear brake and maybe a single & shorter shifter instead of the longer heel/toe shifters. Having the boards farther back is the ultimate solution I am looking for.

All ideas are appreciated.

Old 06-02-2014 | 01:59 PM
jam436
Supporter

The reduced reach seat would be the cheapest, fastest and maybe best way to solve your problem, and I don't think they look bad at all... and they do come in solos.
Moving your boards and controls could get costly...

Old 06-02-2014 | 02:19 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

A spring solo seat would move you forward and I think would improve your leg angle on the controls. But it would also move you up, so you might not be able to flat foot the same.

Tough one. I wish I had a better answer.

I do know this, your Iron is one of the best looking I've ever seen. Great color and like how you gave it just the right amount of black.

Good luck.

Old 06-02-2014 | 02:23 PM
RadRodriguez
|
Cruiser

The only reduced reach seat I can find for the Slim is the 2-up model:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...16-52000012--1

Old 06-02-2014 | 02:26 PM
RadRodriguez
|
Cruiser

Thanks SoCal. Love your Slim!

Old 06-02-2014 | 02:34 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member

The question then becomes, what is more important your enjoyment or the look of your bike? I used to think the look is all that matters but after riding may fatboy for a year with the stock seat. I am now looking for a seat that offers more comfort even if it takes away from the look a little bit. I want to ride not stare at my bike

Old 06-02-2014 | 02:43 PM
rowan
Road Master
Thumbs up

from another vertically challenged rider, change up the air cleaner cover and go with a plate and rain sock, a black line stock seat may work as it did for me, also they HD makes a pull back riser for the slim that brings the bars back a little, I went with a bigger brake pedal and removed heel shifter but I had no issues with reaching brake and shifter, floor boards non issue
as the boards and low seat height sold me on it,
Then I found a Xbones slim went up the road
changing air cleaner cover will get your leg in closer as not reaching around it every little bit helps when you are vertically challenged. good luck the slim is a sweet machine

Old 06-02-2014 | 07:08 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Thicker boot soles. I'm not short and probably about average, but I can tell a difference depending on what footwear I have on.

Old 06-02-2014 | 11:16 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member

You're welcome.

Old 06-03-2014 | 09:32 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

I would kill 2 birds with one stone and take my seat to a custom upholsterer and have it reworked. You could use gelfoam and lower the seat giving you a closer sit and more comfortable too.

Quick Reply: Short Rider on Slim...Ideas