Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better passenger seat for Breakout?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:12 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 387 Likes on 254 Posts
Default Better passenger seat for Breakout?

The factory passenger seta on the Breakout is certainly not a "long distance seat"!

My wife wants to rider as a passenger, but the seat's small size and thinness makes her reluctant to talk about any rider longer than say 20 miles.

I talked to a motorcycle seat expert today about adding gel to the rider's seat and the passenger seat, and then recovering both seats plus the sissy bar pad with a nice exotic set of covers.

He pointed out that the passenger seta really needs to be wider to be comfortable, even with the gel added, and said that his work would be far less costly if I could find another Harley passenger seat that has the same two mounting hooks on the front and the same mounting bolt hole location on the rear, but is wider. Then, he could use that seat, gel it, reshape the foam appropriately, and recover to match the new covers on the rider seat and the sissy bar.

I know I could simply buy a Danny Gray or other brand name seat, but I had to go to a "Reach" version of the HD RIDER seat to get fully comfortable on the bike, and today I had the seat guy add gel to it and also a bit more back support, so it is perfect for me, and no commercial seat is going to match that.

So, does anyone know, is there another HD passenger seat that has the same mount types and points, but is wider?

Jim G

Old 06-01-2014, 07:21 AM
PikeAl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming here...But the sundowner passenger pillion looks like it will fit. The only problem I foresee is that it might not butt up against the rider's seat if the profiles are different...but if you are having the foam reshaped and then re-covered...I don't think it would be an issue.

The one I saw said it was specifically for the breakout...and since the mounting hole and studs are attached to the bike and not the rider's seat...I know it will fit. It might not butt up against the rider seat, but like I said...if you are getting them reshaped, it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:55 AM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
The factory passenger seta on the Breakout is certainly not a "long distance seat"!
Truer words were never spoken!

So, does anyone know, is there another HD passenger seat that has the same mount types and points, but is wider?
From HD there's the Sundowner passenger pillion. (#52400066 - available on line for $149) When mated with the original seat there's a gap that you can see in the picture I'm posting. Also, a pic of the difference between the regular seat & pillion and the Sundowner combo.

Attached Thumbnails Better passenger seat for Breakout?-img_0791.jpg   Better passenger seat for Breakout?-img_0801.jpg  
Old 06-01-2014, 08:34 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 387 Likes on 254 Posts

Thanks to both of you! The Sundowner passenger seat should make an excellent base for Steelhorse Bob to work with. He can easily reshape that front end to cover the gap!

Now, I just need to find a used one somewhere so I need not spend $149 for a brand new one that Bob will immediately cut up!

Jim G

Old 06-01-2014, 05:45 PM
U4junkie
Intermediate

I went through this somewhat. My girl calls the SD the marshmallow seat, loves the comfort.

I tried similar surgery to the pillon but not with gel, just different densities using a guy really well known in Tulsa for his bike seat magic. Better, but not good enough.

I bought a new SD pillon and really this fixed all but there was an aesthetic gap to the stock solo seat. Eventually I bought a used SD solo and the SD's are on the bike now. I actually prefer the SD solo seat but life is about compromise.

I've wondered how much shotguns would help "her" comfort. IMHO, the stock pillon is way better aesthetically, I'll just say I'm well rewarded for keeping her comfy

Old 11-21-2014, 12:13 PM
txgent73
Intermediate

I used a rear seat from a Heritage. It did take some modifications, but any good upholstery show will be able to handle it.

Stock seat

Name:  ginz7.jpg
Views: 5163
Size:  28.6 KB

Customized Heritage seat.

Name:  ginz6.jpg
Views: 5175
Size:  26.6 KB

Name:  10589074_10204409254141497_2114365941_n.jpg
Views: 5191
Size:  46.8 KB

Sorry i dont have any other pics of this, but if anyone wants more pics I will get some.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:48 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by txgent73
I used a rear seat from a Heritage. It did take some modifications, but any good upholstery show will be able to handle it.

Stock seat

Customized Heritage seat.

Sorry i dont have any other pics of this, but if anyone wants more pics I will get some.
You don't need to use a Heritage seat, you can get your stock pillion modified. I had my upholsterer customize the stock pillion:

Now my OL is quite happy

Old 08-12-2023, 06:57 PM
Poley Paul
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Guys,
I Bought my 23 Breakout with a SD pillion added but the trim doesn't match the 23 Style... Perforated insert on the main seat.
Does anyone know when Harley will release accessories to match the 23 model.. ??

Old 08-13-2023, 12:12 AM
bustergut
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

You may get more responses on the 2018+ Softail Models sub-forum?

Old 08-29-2023, 07:37 PM
FabioM
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default proridermp.com

Originally Posted by Poley Paul
Hey Guys,
I Bought my 23 Breakout with a SD pillion added but the trim doesn't match the 23 Style... Perforated insert on the main seat.
Does anyone know when Harley will release accessories to match the 23 model.. ??
At proridermp.com should have it, if you don’t see on their models just chat them, because for some reason they don’t show all the inventory online, but they always have the seat that the people wants, they are expert and always ahead the others

The following users liked this post:
Poley Paul (08-29-2023)