Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic Oil Choice

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 05:50 PM
bcox
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Synthetic Oil Choice

Warg, Are you running SYN 3 in all holes? No "extra noise" in the engine or "loud clunk" when you shift? The reason I'm asking is that I too was thinking about SYN 3 but a little nervous about it because of all the things I've read here and other forums, and I can't find mobile1 anywhere.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:05 PM
03 Softail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff
I go with Amsoil 20W50 in engine and primary Redline Heavy
Shock Proof in trans.
I used H.D. Syn., would never use it again.
Just my .02 worth.

Dan

Old 04-01-2007, 06:40 PM
clueless
Tourer

I just had the dealer put in Synth 3 in all 3 holes at the 1000 mile checkup. The transmission is what I think is makeing all the noise now. it sounds like there an electric engine running with the harley... its a whine like that on the highway (you know like an electric golf cart makes)

anyone experience this? I am thinking of just changing out the transmission oil to a heavy Mobile 1 gear oil or what ever I can find locally at autozone or pepboys. whats available at the big chain stores like that for our bikes? I have to look it up but I dont think there is much trans oil in our bike. whats the volume needed for just the transmission for an 2007 fatboy?

Old 04-01-2007, 06:51 PM
mori55
Tourer

I was running Syn 3 for 14000 miles, Just switched to Mobile 1 VTWIN oil.
The Mobile 1 really quieted my clatter down, will be staying with the Mobile 1.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:07 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am running Syn 3 in the engine and Formula + in the primary and tranny. I am about 200 miles from an oil change. I will go back with Amsoil or Mobile1 products. I have no bad experience with Syn 3, but I have read that Amsoil or Mobile1 will make the bike run cooler, so I will give it a try.

I also have some engine noise, but nothing bad. It's kind of the nature of the TC88 engine. We will see if the new oil helps quiet it downa little.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:28 PM
clueless
Tourer

I have a case of the Synth 3 so will use that in the Primary and the Engine and use something else in the Transmission. I am hopeing its the Transmission that is the noise issue. plus hopefully will help in shifting into neutral.

where can I get 75W-90 Mobile 1 Gear Oil or Amsol Gear Oil in a brick and morter store? (pepboys or autozone have it)? 75W-90 Gear Oil should be about the same thickness as 20W-50 Synth 3. From what I saw on here that gear oil weight is rated different the other oils.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:41 PM
texfatboy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amsoil. just put it in all 3 holes last. took for a ride today. could be my imagination, but tranny seems to shift smoother. oil temp is defiently lower. good luck in your choice

Old 04-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Pilzner
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: clueless

I just had the dealer put in Synth 3 in all 3 holes at the 1000 mile checkup. The transmission is what I think is makeing all the noise now. it sounds like there an electric engine running with the harley... its a whine like that on the highway (you know like an electric golf cart makes)

anyone experience this? I am thinking of just changing out the transmission oil to a heavy Mobile 1 gear oil or what ever I can find locally at autozone or pepboys. whats available at the big chain stores like that for our bikes? I have to look it up but I dont think there is much trans oil in our bike. whats the volume needed for just the transmission for an 2007 fatboy?
I hadn't noticed the 5th gear whine until I had my 1000 mile service. Like you, I hadSyn3 in all 3 holes, although I only wanted Syn3 in the engine. I immediately changed the tranny to Redline Shockproof, and changed the primary to Formula+. Still hear the whine, but a bit less, and everything is cooler than before. The whine is pretty much normal, anyway. My next change, I'm going with Amsoil instead of Syn3 in the engine.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:14 PM
motorhead68
Novice

Let me premise this by saying I am NOT an Mobil employee but have a great testimonial to give. I normally run Mobil 1 total synthetic in all of my cars and have never had an issue. Cracked open the valve cover on an old engine that had been running it forever andthe rockerslooked brand new. I have also added Mobil 1 in my new Cub Cadet lawnmower and it runs quieter. I just changed the oil in it and it came out looking new from mowing the lawn over the summer and sitting for 5 months...

So....... I switched from regular HD oil in my 04 FB to Mobil 1 V-Twin from eliteetc.com in all spots and noticed a TON of improvements. Runs much quieter, cooler and the transmission shifts much smoother. I also am able to find neutral everytime when hot whichwas a bighassle before. I am sold on Mobil one products....

Jim

Old 04-03-2007, 12:37 PM
clueless
Tourer

I just picked up 75W/90 Gear Oil Mobile 1 Synthectic at the AutoZone store for $8.88

Is that a good price for a qt? I only need one qt for the transmission right? I know the wine is the transmission because it goes away when I pull in the clutch and the rpms drop. if I rev the engine the whine stays the same level. so it must be transmission noise.

Next question is why not use the 75W/120 gear oil from Mobile 1? is it bad to use a heavier gear oil?

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Choice