Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using a headlight or brakelight modulator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014 | 03:13 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

There's quite a bit of misinformation running around about the headlight modulators.
Headlight modulators are legal in all states (by federal law) and in Canada. Yes, they're distracting, but that's exactly the goal... distracting other drivers into being aware you're there, and they work quite well for that.

Riding with a group is absolutely not a problem, because the flashing on most of them can be turned on or off with the high-beam switch. Or the flashing can be disabled by putting something like a piece of tape over the daylight sensor (the sensor is required by law). It doesn't bother me at all when someone behind me is using one though.

I totaled a bike a few years ago when someone pulled out in front of me from a driveway. As is typical in this situation, he told the cops he didn't notice me. The replacement bike got a headlight modulator. After a year or so of experience with it, my other bike got one too. Mine are the Kisan brand, pretty much plug and play, no problems with them so far.

One neat thing about them is that people notice you even if they're not looking in your direction (texting or on the internet or whatever). They grab attention even in the peripheral vision. Whether you want one or not will pretty much depend on where you've been, and what kind of stuff has happened to you or your friends, I reckon.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-24-2014 at 03:29 AM.
Old 05-24-2014 | 07:23 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior

The modulating headlight is getting more popular around here. I'm seeing more of them on the road, and some guys I ride with have them.They do turn them off when riding in a group. Usually, the modulators are on bikes that do not have the "spot lights", although I did see a guy up in Sturgis last year riding a Road Glide with both headlights modulating. And he had them timed perfectly to go off and on together. The bal1 tailite and having rear running lites have been very popular here for quite awhile. Like Warp Factor said, some decisions are made on past experience.

Old 05-24-2014 | 07:25 AM
Silver Fox
Club Member

I have put one on my bike. It can be turned off if you are riding with others. When on busy two lane highways it helps people see you when they are pulling out to pass a line of traffic. I really don't like the feeling of a car coming at you on the highway.

Old 05-24-2014 | 07:30 AM
fourhour
Tourer

Just a note of caution regarding headlight modulators: Some other drivers may think you are giving them the okay to turn in front of you!

Old 05-24-2014 | 08:00 AM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by fourhour
Just a note of caution regarding headlight modulators: Some other drivers may think you are giving them the okay to turn in front of you!
exactly...

Old 05-24-2014 | 08:07 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fourhour
Haven't had anything like that happen, and I think it would be hard to confuse continuous flashing, at a rate of three times per second, with "permission to turn". That flashing speed is proscribed by law.

Not that it couldn't possibly happen, so one can weigh the odds of someone mistaking the meaning of the flashing, versus not being noticed at all.

Old 05-24-2014 | 09:52 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

When riding twisties and the brake modulator keeps blinking when the person either is tapping their brakes or actually braking is annoying and distracting, creating a possible hazard for riders behind them. You have to always guess if the second or third "blink" is a "true brake" because something is in the road or is that modulator blinking automatically and nothing to be concerned about. I guess if you just putt along, taking things slow not a big deal. If youre a more spirited rider and ride in a tighter group, not so good. The ability to turn these modulators off is a good idea.

Old 05-24-2014 | 10:19 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Riding behind a bike with the taillight flashers doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I appreciate them. It gets my attention better than a standard brake light, just like they're supposed to do.

Love 'em in large group rides, when someone in front of you can hit the brakes hard in the middle of nowhere when you don't expect it, and then you figure out that it happened because the group is backed up a mile from a stop sign.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-31-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2014 | 12:36 PM
Carolina Joe
Cruiser

I considered a modulating headlight, but decided against it for several reasons. However, all is not lost. When I approach traffic waiting to pull out into my lane from 90 degrees to my right or left I simply give them a quick flash or three with the high beam. My switch and probably yours too, according to how old your bike is, will automatically spring back to low beam when released. It's easy enough to flash the guy that's contemplating pulling out when traffic is clear.

I have done this enough now that it's second nature to give them a few flashes. I can tell from some of the expressions on faces that it get's their attention and in a few cases annoys the driver. Where I come from this is better than being run over or off the road.

CJ

Old 05-31-2014 | 04:19 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

A couple of posts from another forum:

"Gawd, I drove past a big bagger with a headlight modulator and you could see him a mile away! I suppose some could say that using them could be "overly cautious"' but I know visibility is increased by a rediculous amount. The increased safety factor alone is unreal. I called biker hiway.com and found out they a plug in modulator for $109 delivered. To me it's worth it. What do you guys think?"

And a response:

"I don't think you can ever be "overly cautious" when riding your scoot.
The morons are everywhere, and trying to kill us.
I live near Tucson, and I swear to God, I read about a biker being killed, at least once a week, either in town, or on I-10.
$109, to help stay alive?
PRICELESS!!!!"

Quick Reply: Anyone using a headlight or brakelight modulator?