Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Republik of Kalifornia Residents- Fuel- who has the best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Republik of Kalifornia Residents- Fuel- who has the best?

So I was at my local HOG chapter meeting this week and I got into a discussion on gas/fuel options here in the People's Republik of Kalifornia. Leading up to purchasing my FLS, I read up on gas...some said Chevron, some said Shell, some said 76. As such, it seemed the consensus was Shell, so I have been going with that. However, one of our members said Chevron was better for the bike.

Now, being as we are at the mercy of "emission friendly" gasoline standards here in the Republik, the octane is not what it is in other states. From what I have been told, 91 is the highest octane that you can buy (if this is counter to what I have been told, please let me know). But not all gas is equal 91 octane- so that said, what do you all think? What is the better product out there that we in Kali can feed our scoots?

Old 05-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

I just go with any name brand stations. Shell, Mobile, Cheveron ect.. I've never been able to really feel any differance in the way it runs from one name brand station to the next. As far as the octane in Kali I've seen a few places with higher octane but I'm talking like 100+ octane for around 8 bucks a gallon.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:32 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch101st
So I was at my local HOG chapter meeting this week and I got into a discussion on gas/fuel options here in the People's Republik of Kalifornia. Leading up to purchasing my FLS, I read up on gas...some said Chevron, some said Shell, some said 76. As such, it seemed the consensus was Shell, so I have been going with that. However, one of our members said Chevron was better for the bike.

Now, being as we are at the mercy of "emission friendly" gasoline standards here in the Republik, the octane is not what it is in other states. From what I have been told, 91 is the highest octane that you can buy (if this is counter to what I have been told, please let me know). But not all gas is equal 91 octane- so that said, what do you all think? What is the better product out there that we in Kali can feed our scoots?
Hey neighbor!

For my bike, and bikes can be very different depending on the mods, Shell and Chevron work best, very little or no pinging. The 76 on Hi 80 and Penryn Rd is closer but I dont gas up there. For whatever reason, that gas and my bike disagree. And yes, 91 octane is the best you can do in this over liberalized communist state of dysfunction.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:38 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
And yes, 91 octane is the best you can do in this over liberalized communist state of dysfunction.
If you want better gas for your scoot, look for non-ethanol premium. I don't know if it's available in CA, but there's an app called "Pure Gas" (for iOS and that other phoneOS) that will help you find non-ethanol, which is better for the HOGs.

Oh, and Oil Companies are the ones that set pricing on gas, and NONE of them are owned by a Liberal. Of that $4.20 a gal for the good stuff, the Govt gets $.50, and the Oil Co gets $4.70.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
If you want better gas for your scoot, look for non-ethanol premium. I don't know if it's available in CA, but there's an app called "Pure Gas" (for iOS and that other phoneOS) that will help you find non-ethanol, which is better for the HOGs.

Oh, and Oil Companies are the ones that set pricing on gas, and NONE of them are owned by a Liberal. Of that $4.20 a gal for the good stuff, the Govt gets $.50, and the Oil Co gets $4.70.
There's really not a reliable way of knowing what gas is "pure". Some states require posting ethanol content, and some states don't.

But ethanol isn't a bad thing anyway. An engine burning alcohol runs cooler than one burning pure gas, and high alcohol mixes (like E-85, with proper tuning and fuel system changes) are the new "race gas". One can make way more power on E-85 than on any other pump gas.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:14 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne

A little defensive aren't ya??? lol No one but "you" mentioned gas prices and taxes. Since you brought it up, when Obama took office the price per gallon was $1.69. As you said, its now $4.20.

Pure gas is not a realistic option.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Hey neighbor!

For my bike, and bikes can be very different depending on the mods, Shell and Chevron work best, very little or no pinging. The 76 on Hi 80 and Penryn Rd is closer but I dont gas up there. For whatever reason, that gas and my bike disagree. And yes, 91 octane is the best you can do in this over liberalized communist state of dysfunction.
Newcastle huh? I grew up there...on Brennans Rd in fact, worked at the Dennys there on the hill...dang, small world!! Feel free to hit me up sometime!

Anyhow, I did a Chevron fill last night- been running nothing but Shell since I got her...will see how the ole Red&Blue does...seems to be running a bit better this morning...not that it was bad. I dunno...perceptions perceptions...

Old 05-23-2014, 09:21 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

91 in Kali is it. I have not seen a higher octane here in years, except the race gas as mentioned earlier and that is boosted with additives.
Been running Costco 91 octane in both the '06 Sporty and the '12 Softail and have not noticed any difference in the performance, once in a while I will get another brand of fuel when out on the road, but no difference their either.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:12 AM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,056 Posts

I go with Chevron.
You can go with any station that sells top tier gas
Google top tier gas and it will list the stations
NorCal 916

Old 05-23-2014, 10:53 AM
moparbobby
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who was president from 2001-2008 look at this price jump ?
http://energyalmanac.ca.gov/gasoline...ne_prices.html

i don't think gas has been $1.69 for a long time

Last edited by moparbobby; 05-23-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Republik of Kalifornia Residents- Fuel- who has the best?