Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery, Regulator, Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 02:01 PM
DaveJFuller
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery, Regulator, Alternator?

2007 Heritage. I had to get a jump start yesterday leaving work, I had turned my switch to ACC when I shut it off. It started fine. On the way home, the check engine light and battery light came on.... went off... came on... etc., and it was running at a very high idle. When I got home, I checked the battery, it need a little water, which it got. I disconnected the battery and placed it on the tender overnight. This morning, it started fine, I let it run for about 10 minutes, all good. After I went in and got ready to go, jumped on and away I went. After about 5 miles, the check engine light and battery light came on.... Additionally, after starting, the check engine light came on for about 5 seconds, then off....

Thanx in advance

Old 05-22-2014, 02:22 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get the battery tested. Places like Auto Zone can do that.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:08 PM
DaveJFuller
3rd Gear

I guess I was unclear. My concern is not the battery, but rather the apparent error code of the engine light illuminating for a few seconds after start up. This is an obvious code, I have no means of interpreting it.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:47 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

you can pull codes from the ecm by the trip/reset button on the speedo/console.

heres the link for pulling codes.. sounds to me like maybe a crank sensor is taking a crap..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...tic-codes.html

Old 05-22-2014, 05:00 PM
DaveJFuller
3rd Gear

Thanx, Froggy.... That should do it.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:14 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You're welcome.. hope you figure it out..

Old 05-22-2014, 09:41 PM
chrisj49
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

It sounds like either your stator or regulator is failing. I had the same symptoms you are describing when the stator failed.

Test the voltage at the battery with the bike running at around 1000RPM. It should be around 14v. My guess is you will see less than 12v. If that is the case, rev to maybe 2K and see if it rises significantly.

The intermittent light is likely voltage too low - that light triggers when the voltage is too low for 5 minutes, then clears when the condition goes away. For me, it was the slow ride out of my neighborhood to the freeway that would do it. Once on the freeway, the problem cleared. It would then return on the way home.

There are lots of good threads on how to test the stator and regulator. If you are having a voltage problem the first thing I would do is check the battery cables for corrosion and tightness.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:55 PM
DaveFuller
4th Gear

Awritee.... I've replaced my battery. I had it load tested and it did fail. I tested my stator using the process someone posted and found it to have no voltage on one of the pair tests. I've now replaced my stator as well. After almost exactly 100 miles, the battery and engine lights came on again. I pulled the code and it was the same, low voltage..... That was last Wednesday and I haven't gotten back to checking the stator yet..

After clearing the error, I started and ran the bike for about 15 minutes, periodically checking the voltage at the battery. It held steady at around 12.5v and did not cause an error. It kinda seems that the system is working. There was most certainly not enough charge left in the battery to maintain that for that length of time.

My understanding is that there is no means by which I can "test" the voltage regulator. I know that perhaps it may seem like a big "Duh", but I have to ask; If I test the stator and it is fine, can I assume the regulator has failed? ( I won't hold you responsible if I replace it and the error persists)

Ok, now that you've stopped chuckling at me.....

Old 06-16-2014, 04:21 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFuller
Awritee.... I've replaced my battery. I had it load tested and it did fail. I tested my stator using the process someone posted and found it to have no voltage on one of the pair tests. I've now replaced my stator as well. After almost exactly 100 miles, the battery and engine lights came on again. I pulled the code and it was the same, low voltage..... That was last Wednesday and I haven't gotten back to checking the stator yet..

After clearing the error, I started and ran the bike for about 15 minutes, periodically checking the voltage at the battery. It held steady at around 12.5v and did not cause an error. It kinda seems that the system is working. There was most certainly not enough charge left in the battery to maintain that for that length of time.

My understanding is that there is no means by which I can "test" the voltage regulator. I know that perhaps it may seem like a big "Duh", but I have to ask; If I test the stator and it is fine, can I assume the regulator has failed? ( I won't hold you responsible if I replace it and the error persists)

Ok, now that you've stopped chuckling at me.....
Test the stator by reading the voltage across the battery while the engine is running. It should read >13.2V at idle and 14.2-14.7V+ at higher RPM's(>3000 RPM's).

Your voltage regulator is obviously bad at 12.5V. That's not enough to charge the battery, and the battery will discharge over time.

Replace the voltage regulator.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:50 PM
DaveFuller
4th Gear

Nice, thanx.

Quick Reply: Battery, Regulator, Alternator?