Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left turn signal on when turning on ignition???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 05:25 PM
mgoldade
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left turn signal on when turning on ignition???

I have a 2003 Night train FXSTBI. When I turn the ignition on, the left blinker is already flashing. When it first started happening, I could press the left turn signal switch and sometimes it would turn off. Other times I would have to hit the right turn signal to turn on the right signal and then hit the right signal again to turn it off. At random times it would turn on while riding and I would have to cancel it using the right signal. Now the left turn signal switch doesn't do anything. I always have to turn on the right signal to cancel the left one. However, it doesn't turn on while driving randomly. I have changed all the bulbs, checked for moisture in the sockets, and have even pulled apart the left turn signal switch and soaked it in WD-40. Still doesn't work.
Could it just be the turn signal switch? The local HS shop tells me it might be the TSSM.
Has anyone else experienced this? Would anyone have the wiring schematic?
Suggestions?

Old 05-20-2014, 05:54 PM
Six7One
Tourer

Do the lights work like they are supposed to when you turn on the hazards? It could be that the switch is defective or the turn signal module is defective. Sounds like a switch of the hazards work fine. Double check the wiring while you are at it. Stuff can get rubbed through and cause all sorts of gremlins.

Module: http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...d=320681321331

You mentioned having security? If so, different part.
http://www.surdyke.com/AdvPartInfo.a...mber=68925-00D

Old 05-20-2014, 07:25 PM
mgoldade
Intermediate

I haven't had the bike on all day. I went out to check it and the left turn signal worked for a few minutes, then the gremlin hit again and now the left switch is dead again. I cannot get the hazards on as the switch is not responding. The right turn signal operates correctly, and always has.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:28 PM
Juiced_deuce
Cruiser

ok so what did you come up with, my 04 deuce started doin the exact same thing as yours

Old 07-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Could be something as simple as the turn signal switch intermittently shorting or the insides falling apart. That's kind of what it sounds like.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 07-01-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Juiced_deuce
Cruiser

pit there are several threads about this problem but nobody comes back to say what fix is... it would be nice to have those that ask for help come back and say what the problem was instead of vanishing

Old 07-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Juiced_deuce
Cruiser

found the problem guys, i remembered i power washed the bike and hadnt ridden bike until today. so i just went out and took a screw driver handle and tapped on the bottom side of the housing, 3 lil raps and the light went out and started operating correctly.... stuck contact in switch

Old 07-01-2014, 09:10 PM
threadstopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine did the same thing i took it apart and sprayed contact cleaner into it until it was running out everywhere then shook it vigorously, blew some compressed air into it to dry it out then sprayed it with silicone spray hasn't acted up since (this was last summer).it has been rained on and pressure washed many times since.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Juiced_deuce
found the problem guys, i remembered i power washed the bike and hadnt ridden bike until today. so i just went out and took a screw driver handle and tapped on the bottom side of the housing, 3 lil raps and the light went out and started operating correctly.... stuck contact in switch
Well, I was close..