Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jack placement under 2013 Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014 | 08:17 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Mine is the Craftsman (sears) red jack. If it is only a 6 then the others must be really good. Mine has been very useful many many times over the years.
According to my Wife, a 6 is all I need to get the job done

Old 05-16-2014 | 10:14 AM
mkenkel
Cruiser

I push my jack under from the right side,just far enough back to clear the kickstand bracket. It raises it right up off the stand. Ive changed rear tires and changed all fluids including the tranny this way. same jack and method with a 07 deluxe and 04 heritage. never had a problem.

Old 05-16-2014 | 11:46 PM
Carolina Joe
|
Cruiser

Hey Bros, thanks for the replies. I always find answers here and folks willing to help. I was a little concerned about getting a lift arm under the shocks, but not now.

To answer the question of what brand of jack ? I bought the yellow Craftsman rated for 1500 lbs. It was the more costly of the two they offered, about 180 bucks. It's easy enough to use and seems solidly built. It picked up that black Heritage with little effort. What I really want is one of those tables but the price is out of my range for the time being.

honestly, I think the jack will do everything I need ! Thanks again

CJ

Old 05-17-2014 | 09:33 AM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by Carolina Joe
Hey Bros, thanks for the replies. I always find answers here and folks willing to help. I was a little concerned about getting a lift arm under the shocks, but not now.

To answer the question of what brand of jack ? I bought the yellow Craftsman rated for 1500 lbs. It was the more costly of the two they offered, about 180 bucks. It's easy enough to use and seems solidly built. It picked up that black Heritage with little effort. What I really want is one of those tables but the price is out of my range for the time being.

honestly, I think the jack will do everything I need ! Thanks again

CJ
The Sears Yellow should serve you well.
I have the cheaper Sears Red, which costs maybe half as much and I've left the bike on it over an entire winter without issues...

Old 05-17-2014 | 11:08 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Default Jack

I personally will not put the jack on the shocks . I place my jack on the rear cross member and it clears the shocks on th front side. When I jack it up the back comes up before the front and to get the front wheel off the ground at the same time it's dangerous. I have a black jack sissor style I put up towards the front of the bike and use both to get both wheels off the ground and it's now steady. Yes it's a pain in the *** but I would rather be safe than sorry. When I clean my bike i raise the front so the tire is just touching the ground but I can rotate it if I give it a tug this way my front end is now swinging back and froth and I can clean the wheel and rotate it . I am not sure if the frame protectors would help they seem like maybe you can put them on when jacking and you may clear the shocks but I do not know how safe that would be

Old 05-17-2014 | 12:17 PM
rideflhr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I place my jack at the location where both tires lift off the ground about the same time.

If I recall that puts it just aft of center.

https://www.hdforums.com/g/picture/751122
This is the way.

Old 05-17-2014 | 06:33 PM
oct1949
Club Member

I bought two 6'' pieces of 1/4'' thick walled radiator hoses..

Cut them long ways and slipped them over the both sides frame where the shocks are....

Then when I slide the jack under the bike,, I can place the Jack anywhere I want to so the bike will be balanced without worrying about putting too much pressure on the shocks or the bike being off- center as far as the weight balance..

I'll ad I have the Cheap ole.... harbor freight Yellow lift, that a lot of member thinks is chit... I've used it for 7 yrs for all my lifting and I've even stored my bike for 6 months a yr on it since 07... Not the best lift.. but I have no complaints of it.. Its done everything I've wanted or needed it to do.....

Take it from me,, just a retired machine repairman of 38 yrs.. it works....

Last edited by oct1949; 05-17-2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: added
Old 05-17-2014 | 06:42 PM
ADRENALINE RUSH
Tourer

Originally Posted by JustaHawg
What brand did you get? I need one. Thanks!
I bought this one from harbor freight, Had one of their coupons and only paid $59. It works great.

Last edited by ADRENALINE RUSH; 05-17-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-17-2014 | 06:43 PM
ADRENALINE RUSH
Tourer

For placement I use it anywhere along the frame rails, but not on the shocks. It really depends on what I need to get to. If I want lift the whole thing (both wheels ofF the ground with the bike we'll balanced) I'll place it a few inches from the front curve of the frame in the front of the bike. If I need to adjust my shocks I place at the very back with the Jack rails on the back frame rail in front of the shocks, that way I have access to get my ratcheting wrench on the front nuts of the shock. I never like to jack it up on the shocks.

Also I'm a little weird about this, but I always have a ratchet strap around my bike was lifted in the air and I'm working on it.

Last edited by ADRENALINE RUSH; 05-17-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-12-2014 | 01:18 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ADRENALINE RUSH
I bought this one from harbor freight, Had one of their coupons and only paid $59. It works great.
Motorcycle Lift demo from Harbor Freight - YouTube
Not familiar with that bike are you lifting on the shocks? My Sears Red jack will not go under the bike probably will if I put the side stand on a 2X6, I won't lift on the shocks I may have to make some shims to clear the shocks. There is a rubber pad on the rails that I may be able to notch and clear the shocks.

You got some ***** lifting that bike that high on a Harbor Freight or any sears jack for that matter, scary!

Quick Reply: jack placement under 2013 Heritage