Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014 | 09:39 PM
eviltwin69
|
Tourer
Default New front brakes

Let me first start off by saying that I am not bashing LRB or HHI, I have talked to both companies and they have been more than helpful in this issue. However, I just feel that this set up should stop better than it does.

I just purchased an HHI 6 piston front caliper, a LRB Lug Drive metal composite rotor and put the LRB Gold Plus pads in the new caliper. Took it out thinking this thing was going to stop on a dime. Not so much. I call Lyndall and they said to bed in the brakes, which they say is not required, but I should do 5 stops from 20-0 and 5 stops from 40-0 mph. They should be good to go after that. I still feel that they don't stop as well as my stock HD 4 piston caliper and rotor that I took off.

This is not the first time I have used their pads. I have had them on my bike for over 10 years and never had a problem with them. One question that I have is should I go to a bigger master cyclinder for the 6 piston caliper? I called HHI and they said that is not required.

I am asking you guys for your opinion. I am going to start by bleeding my brakes once again and then do the bedding in process just see if that does the trick.

Old 05-12-2014 | 10:52 PM
rbeamj
Tourer

Doing 10 stops like that really isn't enough.

I had a similar situation when I changed the caliper on my 06. Even after bedding in the pads with more than 20 stops and really getting them HOT it took a week of additional riding to really get a good feel and performance.

One thing I would do is bleed the brakes again and then double the bed in process. You know you are hot enough when you start to smell them. One or two more stops when hot then ride it normally.

Typically once I smell them and perform toe more stops I find a place to ride at freeway speeds for a good mile or so to cool them off without using the brakes.

I have a route u follow where I can do all of this with no traffic.

Old 05-13-2014 | 08:25 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

I installed EBC Double H which helped. What also helped front braking was upgrading the front suspension, greatly reducing front brake dive, better braking control and stopping. These two together made a very noticeable difference. A little off topic, but the front suspension may be something to think about in the future.

Old 05-13-2014 | 08:54 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by KumaRide
I installed EBC Double H which helped. What also helped front braking was upgrading the front suspension, greatly reducing front brake dive, better braking control and stopping. These two together made a very noticeable difference. A little off topic, but the front suspension may be something to think about in the future.
I love the HH Sintered pads. Nothing bites like they do.

Old 05-13-2014 | 09:32 AM
tmilo1000
Tourer

I just put on a HHI 6 piston caliper, stainless steel braided line and a master cylinder from a Road King. Maybe the master cylinder was overkill, but I can two finger the front brake know. Stopping has improved, but I still bedding in the brakes. I stayed with the stock disc and pads the HHI came with. My Indy did express some concern that the RK master cylinder could blow out the seals in the caliper.

Old 05-13-2014 | 09:44 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

FWIW, I did a V-Rod rotor with a Brembo caliper and an 11/16" master cylinder. I'm thrilled with how much better it brakes.

Old 05-13-2014 | 10:37 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by '05Train
I love the HH Sintered pads. Nothing bites like they do.
When researching pads I spoke with Lyndall and they admitted, which I give them credit for, the EBC HH will stop better then their pads.

Old 05-13-2014 | 05:28 PM
eviltwin69
|
Tourer

I have been wanting to install the Progressive Monotubes as well but it is just not in the budget right now. I have changed the fork oil to a hevier weight but they still seem to dive under normal braking. I re-bled the brakes and I will redo the bedding in process again the next time I ride it. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 05-14-2014 | 11:18 AM
SUUIE
Road Master

Originally Posted by eviltwin69
Let me first start off by saying that I am not bashing LRB or HHI, I have talked to both companies and they have been more than helpful in this issue. However, I just feel that this set up should stop better than it does.

I just purchased an HHI 6 piston front caliper, a LRB Lug Drive metal composite rotor and put the LRB Gold Plus pads in the new caliper. Took it out thinking this thing was going to stop on a dime. Not so much. I call Lyndall and they said to bed in the brakes, which they say is not required, but I should do 5 stops from 20-0 and 5 stops from 40-0 mph. They should be good to go after that. I still feel that they don't stop as well as my stock HD 4 piston caliper and rotor that I took off.

This is not the first time I have used their pads. I have had them on my bike for over 10 years and never had a problem with them. One question that I have is should I go to a bigger master cyclinder for the 6 piston caliper? I called HHI and they said that is not required.

I am asking you guys for your opinion. I am going to start by bleeding my brakes once again and then do the bedding in process just see if that does the trick.
I have the same set up as far as caliper and rotor but, I believe that I'm running the Red + pads which they specifically recommend with those rotors although, they say that the Gold + can be used. http://www.lyndallbrakes.com/application-guide/

Old 05-14-2014 | 07:35 PM
lazyboy09
Tourer

Did you stick with the stock size rotor? A bigger rotor will out perform a bigger caliper.