Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unexpected benefit of a quiet helmet - Harley sound!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014 | 11:16 AM
JimGnitecki
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Unexpected benefit of a quiet helmet - Harley sound!

It was recently time for a new helmet, and this time I was thinking I'd go for a really QUIET one. I am thinking about taking some long trips this year, and I know from past experience that noise level is one of the factors that tires you out as you ride, whether you realize it or not.

I did a lot of research, and found that while the Arai helmets I tend to like the most are pretty quiet, the acknowledged quietest helmets on the market are the Schuberth helmets. Schuberth is the only helmet manufacturer that actually publishes inside-the-helmet sound level data. While such data is dependent upon the actual shape of a rider's head and location of the rider's ears, etc., the fact that Schuberth actually emphasizes this convinced me that I should look at Schuberth helmets.

Their helmets are pretty costly, with most being in the $700 to $1000 range, but they have one model, the S2, which retails for $599. It is midrange in its decibel rating, running about 85, where the SR1 race helmet runs about 87 db, and the quieter C3 Pro modular helmet runs 82db. All 3 are pretty quiet within their individual different market categories. I got the S2.

Wow.

Talk about quiet! The helmet attenuates wind noise so well that now the engine exhaust note is the most prominent thing I hear. But here is the kicker: the helmet very effectively absorbs all the high frequency components of my D&D Low Cat exhaust on my Stage 4 Race Kit 103, leaving only a very deep rumble that is pure Harley-Davidson! No kidding. It's the only thing I really hear now (outside of traffic sounds of course), and it's like it's been "purified" into "optimal Harley sound"!

I could, and will on my trips, listen to it for hours on end!

Jim G

Old 05-04-2014 | 11:36 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

I honestly don't know how anyone can wear a helmet while riding. I guess I will soon find that out in the next year or two because I plan on retiring within that time limit and I plan on traveling some when winter here hits in Illinois. I have tried many years ago and every time I couldn't wait and I couldn't get that thing off of my head quick enough.

I know I will get all kinds of replies to this about all the benefits related to safety but seriously, I felt less safe every time I did try one on while riding because of all the noise and sounds that were blocked out or modified. Of the few guys that I have known who has been killed over the years on a bike a helmet would not have helped or at the very least left them a vegetable and that has NO appeal to me whatsoever!

Since I will soon be forced to wear one when traveling I am going to have to go to the half helmet. Since I have never really used one, tips on the best and most comfortable half helmet and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-04-2014 | 11:40 AM
Dutch101st
Road Captain

Ive got a H-D half helmet...hybrid classic cruiser. Not a bad helmet; I am looking at a 3/4 with a face sheild or a modular for winter

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...ser-1-2-helmet

Old 05-04-2014 | 11:57 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Hmmm, not a bad price either Dutch, thanks! For as little I will use one I can't see paying 100's of dollars on one either.

Old 05-04-2014 | 12:11 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Never thought I'd ride with a full helmet. I bought a used Bell rs-1 with the Photochromatic shield to try one out and that thing kiks azz! Probably wont wear it when temps get over 80*. But during the winter and the cooler days it is the go to helmet. I was surprised how much I enjoy that helmet, that shield is amazing!

Old 05-04-2014 | 12:17 PM
JimGnitecki
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
I honestly don't know how anyone can wear a helmet while riding. ... I have tried many years ago and every time I couldn't wait and I couldn't get that thing off of my head quick enough.
I doubt anyone here will "preach to you". We respect individual rights too much to do that.

But if the helmets you have ever tired on are all inexpensive helmets, that's WHY you couldn't stand wearing them. When you have a well designed and well constructed helmet that also fits you properly (they come in different "head shapes" by brand and model), you will honestly forget that you are wearing one.

Illustration: Decades ago, I was one of the early adopters of full face helmets, while still in college. After Spring Break one year, I made a quick dash to the college on the bike to deliver a paper due that morning. I couldn't figure out why everyone was staring at me as walked down the hallways to the professor's classroom. Later, I discovered that it was because I had forgotten to remove my helmet. True story.

Cheap helmets don't fit right, irritate your skin, limit your vision, don't have proper ventilation provisions, and are heavy, etc. Good helmets do none of those things. But, that's why they are expensive.

Jim G

Old 05-04-2014 | 02:12 PM
SoftailManiac
Cruiser

Tbone, I hate to wear a helmet as well. I share your thoughts on the safety feactors, but like you said in some States we have to wear them while riding through. I tried a bunch of different helmets, and found that I can not wear a full face helmet at all. my head is not shaped to suit one. Of all the half helmets I tried only one was worth wearing. It was a 99 dollar "****" helmet. I believe thats what they are called. All other half helmets, because of the way they have the straps right at the ears, increased the wind noise to unbearable levels for me. I can only guess that the flare around the **** helmet is the difference, but you might want to try one of these out. I have even seen them for cheaper in J&P, and Dennis Kirk.

Old 05-04-2014 | 03:12 PM
Msmall
Tourer

If the only reason you would wear a helmet is to be legal a novelty helmet with a properly placed dot sticker will get you by just fine.

If you don't want to "forge" something. Find a helmet that was made as dot approved and then later taken off the market. Like the outlaw ultra slim or carbon low profile. They were manufactured as dot approved spot hen recalled. They are basically novelty helmets with a real dot logo....

No preaching. You head, your brain, your life.

I honestly don't know how anyone can wear a helmet while riding. I guess I will soon find that out in the next year or two because I plan on retiring within that time limit and I plan on traveling some when winter here hits in Illinois. I have tried many years ago and every time I couldn't wait and I couldn't get that thing off of my head quick enough.

I know I will get all kinds of replies to this about all the benefits related to safety but seriously, I felt less safe every time I did try one on while riding because of all the noise and sounds that were blocked out or modified. Of the few guys that I have known who has been killed over the years on a bike a helmet would not have helped or at the very least left them a vegetable and that has NO appeal to me whatsoever!

Since I will soon be forced to wear one when traveling I am going to have to go to the half helmet. Since I have never really used one, tips on the best and most comfortable half helmet and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-04-2014 | 03:21 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

I honestly don't know how anyone can wear a helmet while riding.
You learn, make adjustments, and get used to it. It's really a lot easier than learning to drive a manual transmission. Not that just anyone can drive a manual transmission well.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-04-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-04-2014 | 03:21 PM
Johnny Goodlife
Road Captain

Quick Reply: Unexpected benefit of a quiet helmet - Harley sound!