Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unexpected benefit of a quiet helmet - Harley sound!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014 | 08:12 PM
alandchris
Advanced

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
I honestly don't know how anyone can wear a helmet while riding. I guess I will soon find that out in the next year or two because I plan on retiring within that time limit and I plan on traveling some when winter here hits in Illinois. I have tried many years ago and every time I couldn't wait and I couldn't get that thing off of my head quick enough.

I know I will get all kinds of replies to this about all the benefits related to safety but seriously, I felt less safe every time I did try one on while riding because of all the noise and sounds that were blocked out or modified. Of the few guys that I have known who has been killed over the years on a bike a helmet would not have helped or at the very least left them a vegetable and that has NO appeal to me whatsoever!

Since I will soon be forced to wear one when traveling I am going to have to go to the half helmet. Since I have never really used one, tips on the best and most comfortable half helmet and pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Try google on akoury ak88 helmets
Also on YouTube
I just got one - best dot small helmet I've used in years

Old 05-06-2014 | 07:10 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks to all for the direction and the tips.

Old 05-06-2014 | 07:40 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member

$660 - $700 - $800 - $900 - $1000 for a helmet?

I'll pass and go with ear plugs!

Old 05-06-2014 | 11:14 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
I honestly don't know how anyone can wear a helmet while riding. I guess I will soon find that out in the next year or two because I plan on retiring within that time limit and I plan on traveling some when winter here hits in Illinois. I have tried many years ago and every time I couldn't wait and I couldn't get that thing off of my head quick enough.

I know I will get all kinds of replies to this about all the benefits related to safety but seriously, I felt less safe every time I did try one on while riding because of all the noise and sounds that were blocked out or modified. Of the few guys that I have known who has been killed over the years on a bike a helmet would not have helped or at the very least left them a vegetable and that has NO appeal to me whatsoever!

Since I will soon be forced to wear one when traveling I am going to have to go to the half helmet. Since I have never really used one, tips on the best and most comfortable half helmet and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

It'll sound counter intuitive, but your first mistake is trying half helmets. Road with one for more than 10 years, thinking they were the least obtrusive. They are actually just not very good helmets, and I don't mean that from a safety standpoint. (Though they are the least safe.)

They create a lot of ambient noise and lift like crazy at freeway speeds. They are not only the least useful helmets, they are the least comfortable. Found this out after just trying a 3/4 on a lark.

I recommend a DOT approved 3/4, like the Bell Custom 500. (The 2013 version is good, but most say the 2014 version is better in terms of fitting the long oval of the U.S shaped head.)

Your second mistake is riding with a helmet and giving up on it in a few days. The best helmets take about 7 to 10 days of use (can space the use out if you like) to break in. So something like the Bell Custom 500 will feel too snug at first going off their sizing chart. But after wearing it a while, it will fit like a glove.

I think you are dead wrong about some of your other assumptions as to the safety benefits of a helmet. But I won't harp on that or flame.

I'll just say that wearing no helmet sounds very uncomfortable to me, safety drawback aside. Exposed scalp, all kinds of ambient noise, nats up the ears, what have you.

Try a good 3/4 and give it a chance for at least a few weeks of moderate riding. You will be surprised.

Old 05-06-2014 | 11:56 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

I have a bell revolver Evo that is pretty quiet and I have a Lazer modular that's super quiet. I really like both for different reasons. As far as the whole who wears a helmet and who doesn't I totally couldn't possibly careless what other people choose to do at all. If you don't like helmets cool, no problem, who cares, but why comment about it on a thread about a helmet review.

Old 05-06-2014 | 12:05 PM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
I think you are dead wrong about some of your other assumptions as to the safety benefits of a helmet. But I won't harp on that or flame.
25-30 years ago I never wore a seat belt - this was before they became mandatory.
I couldn't be bothered...
Then one summer I wound up car-pooling with a buddy to a construction site every day.
He was adamant that anybody who got in his car had to buckle up.
I figured what the hell, his car, his rules... I didn't mind.
Not long after I found myself wearing one in my own car.
The reason being that when I didn't I felt like a projectile just waiting to go through the windshield.
Funny how your outlook can change just by trying something new...
I wear a helmet for ME.

Old 05-06-2014 | 12:11 PM
JimGnitecki
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jam436
25-30 years ago I never wore a seat belt - this was before they became mandatory.
I couldn't be bothered...
Then one summer I wound up car-pooling with a buddy to a construction site every day.
He was adamant that anybody who got in his car had to buckle up.
I figured what the hell, his car, his rules... I didn't mind.
Not long after I found myself wearing one in my own car.
The reason being that when I didn't I felt like a projectile just waiting to go through the windshield.
Funny how your outlook can change just by trying something new...
I wear a helmet for ME.
That was very elegantly stated. Nice work.

I was an early adopter of seat belts, even though my Dad ad the rest of the family were not. I started wearing them when I started learning to drive at age 16. Back then, only the newest cars had them. At age 17, I was hit by another car. Boy, was I glad I had that seatbelt on. The car was totaled. My only injury was a slight cut to my right lower leg, which tried to keep moving after the rest of me was held securely in the drivers seat by the seat belt. It slammed into the ignition key that was, in that 1960s era car, still located on the lower dashboard. My Dad always wore a seat belt after he saw the results of the accident in (a) the car and (b) me.

Jim G

Old 05-06-2014 | 10:54 PM
Stone Cliff
Tourer

If you have no one to care about or who depends on you..... don't wear a helmet. Otherwise, put it on and hang around for a while.

Old 05-07-2014 | 02:06 AM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
$660 - $700 - $800 - $900 - $1000 for a helmet?

I'll pass and go with ear plugs!
Spend some time on research and you will find great helmets for 3 bills.

Old 05-07-2014 | 12:18 PM
JRuss
Cruiser

I live in FL, a no helmet state and I ride with a helmet the majority of the time.
But, I've never found a half helmet that doesn't catch the wind like a parachute.
I wear a Biltwell 3/4 with a visor. blocks wind. doesn't catch wind. and fits slim and doesn't look like a huge mushroom on my head.

I have a large head so the half helmets usually look ridiculous on me.

Quick Reply: Unexpected benefit of a quiet helmet - Harley sound!