Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unexpected benefit of a quiet helmet - Harley sound!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014 | 06:47 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member

I have a Shoei RF1200 I wear and love it. It is pretty damn quiet, and I have my bluetooth wired into it so I can listen to tunes.
To those that don't understand how we could ride in a helmet, you have to just understand that some of us like myself, are exactly the opposite. I cannot understand not wearing a helmet. I completely respect your right to not wear one and have no problem with the fact that you don't though.

Old 05-04-2014 | 07:46 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

There used to be a HUGE thread on just about every helmet out there.. you're looking for a half-helmet, i can't really help you.. i have an HD one, but it's old, and looks like a huge mushroom and i never wear it anymore.. However.. i did switch to a 3/4 Rockhard American Classic. It's very stylish, low-profile, extremely comfortable, and it's very quiet, too.

http://www.powersportsplace.com/part...FYFQOgodk3sAog

This past "Black Friday", Motorcycle-Superstore had an outrageous sale on helmets, and I picked up a full-faced one for Winter riding (not that i did much of that with my bike being in 50 pieces, and a ton of snow on the ground).. but I ended up getting this one for $38, and a blacked out visor for like another $12.. Again, Very very comfortable, has vents built in for fresh air, not as quiet as my Rockhard, but still pretty quiet, and isn't as "huge" on my head as you'd think..

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...FUOFOgod2VEAIw

Old 05-04-2014 | 08:24 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Soooooo, you got an $800 custom over the head ear plug?

I have some that fit in my pocket and were much cheaper!

Old 05-04-2014 | 09:32 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry, but I ride to enjoy the ride. The wind and bugs. Not feeling like I have a ton of bricks pulling my head back. If I didn't want the wind hitting me in the face and blowing over my head then I would drive my truck.

Old 05-04-2014 | 10:29 PM
CowboyBagger
Advanced

I live in a helmet state and appreciate the review on the Schuberth helmet. If you don't live in a helmet state, why would you even bother to comment on this thread? I really don't think the OP intended the review for people that don't wear helmets.

I wear a half helmet in the summer and a Schuberth in the winter. In the summer when I hit a free state, the helmet comes off. In the winter the Schuberth stays on, it's warm, quiet, great no fog in the rain and bluetooths to my IPod.

Cowboy

Old 05-05-2014 | 07:19 AM
Killer Squirrel
Tourer

Originally Posted by 24v
I have a Shoei RF1200 I wear and love it. It is pretty damn quiet, and I have my bluetooth wired into it so I can listen to tunes.
To those that don't understand how we could ride in a helmet, you have to just understand that some of us like myself, are exactly the opposite. I cannot understand not wearing a helmet. I completely respect your right to not wear one and have no problem with the fact that you don't though.
I live in Texas where I don't have to wear a helmet. Since starting to ride I always wore a full face, started with a somewhat inexpensive HJC. I tried riding a few times without a helmet and I felt so vulnerable and did not like getting **** in my eyes and being hit with rocks and debris in the face. For those that like that, more power and freedom to you. I recently upgraded to the Shoei RF1200 as well and love it - nice and quiet and it fits wonderfully. I have a Sena bluetooth/intercom and use it to listen to music, works awesome.

Old 05-05-2014 | 09:39 AM
Stone Cliff
Tourer

I have a full face plus I wear drummer ear plugs. They are designed to let the low frequencies through (like a bass drum) and keep all other noises minimized. I hear mostly the engine and love it. I can also hear people when they talk to me.

Old 05-05-2014 | 10:06 AM
JimGnitecki
|
Stellar HDF Member

I forgot to mention: While the Schuberth helmet is very good at attenuating wind noise and high only engine exhaust frequencies, it still allows perfect conversation (hearing and speaking to others). Neat trick.

I wore the helmet in the store for 20 minutes before buying, to make sure the fit was good and no sore spots, and kept a series of conversatiosn going with store staff with zero issues.

Jim G

Old 05-05-2014 | 12:26 PM
Stone Cliff
Tourer

Originally Posted by 24v
+1 I have a hard time even wearing my 3/4. I do get the "freedom" part of it and like it sometimes when puting around, but at speed the damn rocks and bugs hitting in the face sucks. On my last ride a guy with a 1/2 got stung by a bee and his entire eye swelled up. Guess I could wear some kind of bandanna over my face, but I'm not the "bad-***" type and don't want to pretend to be.

Old 05-05-2014 | 12:39 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member

The key to Helmets is getting one that fits you correctly, is lightweight, and breathes well. Then they aren't so bad to wear.

Quick Reply: Unexpected benefit of a quiet helmet - Harley sound!