Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Deluxe Custom Sound System Write UP

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017 | 05:58 AM
harleyloco
Stage I

Originally Posted by dlynch851
So for awhile I had been contemplating on how to put a speaker system on the Deluxe without really compromising the looks. I was going to go with the J&M mickey mouse ones but came across a guy who in another thread mentioned his custom set up. So i got with him and decided to pull the trigger on doing what he did. It is a custom set up with 2x6 ¾ speakers mounted in 5 ¾ headlight shells mounted on the highway bar. Below are some pictures.

We both like being able to cruise without saddlebags so his amp sits in his deluxe tin tool box that you can buy from the stealership and mine **** in an HD leather toolbag. You may be able to come up with some other way if you do please share.

Overall after playing with the positioning of the speakers and messing with the gain on the amp to its proper level without distortion I am really happy with the set up. I can hear it very well while cruising around town and pretty good 70mph imho. the main goal is to ensure that the speakers and the tweeters are pointed directly at you so no sound is wasted. Below is the materials that i bought.

Bought Materials:
From Crutchfield
6 ¾ speakers; Focal Integration IC 165 - $119.99
10gauge amp wiring kit; Rockford Fosgate RFK10 - $29.99

From Sonicelectronix.com
In-Line volume control, PAC-LC1 - $16.99
2-channel signal cable, Rockford Fosgate RFI-6 - $6.99
3.5mm to RCA input, Stinger SI436 - $9.99

From eBay
2 Channel Amplifier, Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 - $149.95 from seller VMinnovations
6 ¾ Headlight Bucket, Custom Chrome PN 330131, 34.99
note: the shell can be purchased through JP cycles although custom chrome is on back order for these puppies for a bit so i was able to find some sellers who had them in stock on hand on eBay. I did talk with drag specialties and their headlight should work in substitute its just a bit more as i think you have to purchase the mounting hardware too.

From HD store
Highway bar clamps, Engine Guard Footpeg Mounting Kit PN-50964-98 - $44.95

The only thing missing out of this list are a few odds and ends such as speaker wire, electrical tape, zip ties, i used flame/heat resistant tubing around the engine area and to pretty things up where exposed up front, wire connectors or solder, and some good ol’ american hard work and ingenuity. Oh i almost forgot you will need to get a longer bolt to place on the bottom mount of the shell, i think it was a fine ⅜ 1in bolt. FINALLY MOST IMPORTANTLY ICE COLD BREW!
Hi! I've a question.... but is this system waterproof?

Old 08-16-2018 | 03:22 PM
Snigity
Stage IV

The light bucket you linked doesn’t come up. I keep seeing all different types of headlight buckets even from harbor freight. Can you help me locate what you used ?

Old 08-16-2018 | 03:53 PM
Snigity
Stage IV

Only thing I could find with the listed part # seems like based outside of US

Old 08-16-2018 | 04:56 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior

Awesome bro. Was just looking at maybe doing something like this. Your parts list is a huge help. Very nice work.
+1 here Bro! Thanks!