Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Deluxe Custom Sound System Write UP

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014 | 07:50 PM
nikonf8
Supporter

Kool idea i done it 6 years ago with the hog tunes speakers i my self feel the ones you guys are using are kind of big for the engine guards but thats just my opinion mine are as big as the harley bullet turn signals not very effective when riding i can hear them but not as good as i would like

Old 01-29-2015 | 03:07 PM
20"ape
2nd Gear
Default What size headlight housing do I need to buy

Originally Posted by dlynch851
So for awhile I had been contemplating on how to put a speaker system on the Deluxe without really compromising the looks. I was going to go with the J&M mickey mouse ones but came across a guy who in another thread mentioned his custom set up. So i got with him and decided to pull the trigger on doing what he did. It is a custom set up with 2x6 ¾ speakers mounted in 5 ¾ headlight shells mounted on the highway bar. Below are some pictures.

We both like being able to cruise without saddlebags so his amp sits in his deluxe tin tool box that you can buy from the stealership and mine **** in an HD leather toolbag. You may be able to come up with some other way if you do please share.

Overall after playing with the positioning of the speakers and messing with the gain on the amp to its proper level without distortion I am really happy with the set up. I can hear it very well while cruising around town and pretty good 70mph imho. the main goal is to ensure that the speakers and the tweeters are pointed directly at you so no sound is wasted. Below is the materials that i bought.

Bought Materials:
From Crutchfield
6 ¾ speakers; Focal Integration IC 165 - $119.99
10gauge amp wiring kit; Rockford Fosgate RFK10 - $29.99

From Sonicelectronix.com
In-Line volume control, PAC-LC1 - $16.99
2-channel signal cable, Rockford Fosgate RFI-6 - $6.99
3.5mm to RCA input, Stinger SI436 - $9.99

From eBay
2 Channel Amplifier, Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 - $149.95 from seller VMinnovations
6 ¾ Headlight Bucket, Custom Chrome PN 330131, 34.99
note: the shell can be purchased through JP cycles although custom chrome is on back order for these puppies for a bit so i was able to find some sellers who had them in stock on hand on eBay. I did talk with drag specialties and their headlight should work in substitute its just a bit more as i think you have to purchase the mounting hardware too.

From HD store
Highway bar clamps, Engine Guard Footpeg Mounting Kit PN-50964-98 - $44.95

The only thing missing out of this list are a few odds and ends such as speaker wire, electrical tape, zip ties, i used flame/heat resistant tubing around the engine area and to pretty things up where exposed up front, wire connectors or solder, and some good ol’ american hard work and ingenuity. Oh i almost forgot you will need to get a longer bolt to place on the bottom mount of the shell, i think it was a fine ⅜ 1in bolt. FINALLY MOST IMPORTANTLY ICE COLD BREW!

I know this is a old post but it says you have 2 6.5" speakers in 5.75 headlight housing but in your parts list it says you bought 6.75 light housing. I understand that I have to trim the speakers bit

what size headlight housing do I have to buy thanks for your input

Old 02-17-2015 | 11:43 AM
Scootluver
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 20"ape
I know this is a old post but it says you have 2 6.5" speakers in 5.75 headlight housing but in your parts list it says you bought 6.75 light housing. I understand that I have to trim the speakers bit

what size headlight housing do I have to buy thanks for your input
The headlight housing is 5 3/4. Here's a link to just the headlight housing

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3100...41227-55963-NA

Old 02-17-2015 | 12:01 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Simplicity

Old 02-17-2015 | 02:17 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

I may try this using my existing boom audio windshield system. I have a nice pair of Polk audio speakers that are just laying around. Just need to get a some black housings and some other odds and ends.

Old 06-22-2015 | 09:22 AM
twidget2000
Stage I

How does this solution hold up to the weather (RAIN in particular)...

Old 07-02-2015 | 08:14 AM
Scootluver
Cruiser

Originally Posted by twidget2000
How does this solution hold up to the weather (RAIN in particular)...
No issues here bud. The only part of the project that is truly exposed would be your speakers.
Granted I am in southern California and haven't been caught up in a major downpour. I try to plan accordingly and not ride in the rain. However, I have been caught up in some drizzle days when riding and no issues yet.

Old 07-02-2015 | 10:23 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

Dude that's pretty sweet

Old 10-20-2016 | 11:24 AM
AZdeluxe06
Stage I

Thanks for the right up!! I had the Uniq cycle sounds 600W Platinum edition and it sounded great but didn't like the clutter on the handle bars. Just did this exact setup and couldn't be happier.

Old 10-26-2016 | 06:07 AM
sevebou63
Tourer

I have done this a few times and with trial and error over the years I now can do this with my eyes closed. Way back I attempted to save money putting in lower grade equipment and it was a waste of time and money.
Go all out the first time and you will not regret it. I bought a four channel NVX amp and bridged it. Getting almost 100 watts RMS to each speaker and it cranks loud and clear.

I have tried both Rockford Fosgate and NVX MVPA4 Micro Class D Compact Amplifier from Sonic Electronix and I have to say the Sonic model blows doors off of RF. Bench test comes in much higher than specs show.

Alpine deck
Polk Audio components
NVX MVPA4 Micro Class D Compact Amplifier

Attached Thumbnails Softail Deluxe Custom Sound System Write UP-img_20161025_115455969.jpg   Softail Deluxe Custom Sound System Write UP-img_20161025_112356866.jpg  

Quick Reply: Softail Deluxe Custom Sound System Write UP