Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying used TC advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014 | 12:40 AM
kevdog
|
Road Captain
Default Buying used TC advice

I'm looking to buy a used TC softail in the coming weeks and trying to keep the total cost down. I'm seeing some 2000-2002 models with higher mileage than most in the 6500-8500 cost range which can work for me but first want to ask for some advice.

I remember hearing that 99-00 TC engines had an issue with cam bearings, was this in all 2000 engines or only some? Was this fully resolved by 2001?

How many miles should I consider safe before it may need the cam tensioners replaced? I really don't want to buy a bike then have to put another grand into it on engine work.

Also, if I get a FI model it will be a 2002 or newer with the Delphi unit. I had a 99 with FI and once it started having problems with FI it was a horror story.

Any other concerns or things to look for?

Old 05-03-2014 | 05:52 AM
QC
Club Member

The inner cam bearing issues were never really resolved.
At 30,000 miles the tensioners should be at least looked at. The pads themselves can be replaced for very little money if you do it yourself. '00-'02 TC engines have a very strong bottom end that lends itself to a straight forward gear drive cam swap, also. The upgrade to hydraulic tensioners is something that is recommended but not absolutely necessary. Upgrading the oil pump or at least the pressure relief spring is highly recommended since you're in there.
As with buying anything used, go over your potential buy with a fine tooth comb, but most bikes are relatively well cared for.

Old 05-03-2014 | 10:18 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by kevdog
I'm looking to buy a used TC softail in the coming weeks and trying to keep the total cost down. I'm seeing some 2000-2002 models with higher mileage than most in the 6500-8500 cost range which can work for me but first want to ask for some advice.

I remember hearing that 99-00 TC engines had an issue with cam bearings, was this in all 2000 engines or only some? Was this fully resolved by 2001?

How many miles should I consider safe before it may need the cam tensioners replaced? I really don't want to buy a bike then have to put another grand into it on engine work.

Also, if I get a FI model it will be a 2002 or newer with the Delphi unit. I had a 99 with FI and once it started having problems with FI it was a horror story.

Any other concerns or things to look for?
Of the years you are looking at, I would go with the 2002...

The Delphi EFI is worth getting an '02. It has been performing well and opens up a lot of possibilities for tuning. I have no experience with the MM EFI, but have heard many, much smarter than I, curse it....

Also, you will have the rock solid bottom end as was mentioned.

The main issue you'll have to deal with are the cam tensioners. Some have exploded at 25K and many more have gone well above that. Any bike over 30K and I'd be planning on an inspection soon after purchase. I would also budget for tensioner replacement, or cam plate/hydraulic tensioner upgrade, or gear drive cam upgrade.

Good luck.....!