Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deuce + Windshield = Buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Crusher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Deuce + Windshield = Buffeting

Just put the HD quick disconnect windshield on the Deuce. I'm getting a ton of helmet buffeting. Anyone else have this problem?

The following users liked this post:
Chriszalevich@gmail.com (07-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2007, 05:41 PM
RockyTopRider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Deuce + Windshield = Buffeting

Crusher,

I have a Heritage and experience the same problem with buffeting. I live in East TN and it seems to be worse when the air is heavy in summer. I have just about convinced myself that I am going to get the wind deflectors for the front forks.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:51 PM
TraumaKing
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 Springer Classic heres a little story about yesterday...........I removed the windshield ,saddlebags and rider backrest and went on a 300 mile excursion as in Pa near the Mason Dixon Line near Gettysburg it achieved 80 degrees. well it wasn't bad until I took it over 65 MPH then it became BRUTAL as there were windy conditions to begin with.When I got home I tossed the windsheild back on and headed down I-81 and rolled the throttle to 90 MPH. It was smooth sailing and didn't get my *** handed to me.No Buffeting. The only thingI can sumise is the height and width have a lot to do with the effects of buffeting and how high or low you sit in the saddle. It appears there are a lot of variables to consider in the correct size windshield you install on your bike, I guess that is why there are numerous ones to chose from, just an objective opinion hope it helps.

Here are some pics of the windscreenI have

Old 03-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Kong
Advanced

I have much the same story with my Deuce. I'm torn between loving my windshield and not. Yesterday pretty much sewed it up for me though, it went back on and its staying on.

With my ride I'm just looking over the top of the Shield unless I purposfully scrunch down behind it; I'm 5' 8". Without the shield I get bad buffeting above 65 and unbearable buffeting above 75. With the shield I can cruise all day long at 70. Much of the problem with my ride is directly attributable to the helmit itself though.

What bothers me more than the buffeting is the lift. Once again the windshield does wonders to take care of the problem. Without the shield my helmet wants to fly me right out of the seat at anything above 80; the dam strap will nearly cut my throat. With the shield on helmet lift goes away completely, at least up to 100, which is the fastest I recall having run it with the shield on.

Overall I've finally come to decided that the shield will stay on the bike pretty much all the time. Most of the time I prefer the look of my Deuce without it but I like the ride so much better with it on. It does take a littlebit of getting used to though.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Crusher
Road Master

I'd like a taller windshield as I think that may cure the "Helmet Buffeting" that I am getting. HD only makes one size shield for the quick release. I really like the quick release but may have to consider other windshields as I really can't take the buffeting.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:01 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the quick release also, and I don't have any helmet buffeting, my eye level is just above the windshield.
but I also don't ride much above 55mph either, I will only use the windshield when it's colder out.
I went out yesterday and it was a perfect day to ride, no windshield and a nice breeze![8D]

Old 03-29-2007, 02:07 AM
1deuce3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Memphis Shades 21" which is great at 65 mph, after that you feel like a pinata. I just use it on the long trips and the 21" allows me to look thru the windshield not over it, in any riding position. I am tired of eating bugs and having them fly into my nose.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:26 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I made along run a couple of days ago, and decided to give my windshield 'one more try' before throwing it in the trash.

Brief history is that I've never used a windshield before, but the FatBoyI recently purchased came with a detachable model. The stock windshield was too high (always looking through it), so I purchased a Cee Bailey 2" under replacement that mounted to the stock hardware. It's a perfect height now, as I can look over it now, but if needed I can scrunch down and look through it when needed.

I don't wear a helmet, so I don't get "helmet buffeting", but the problem I had at speed was wind flowing under the windshield and then up from both sides of the gas tank.I have 3 different height windshields right now, a HD 22", HD 20", and the Cee Bailey 18". They all allow the straight on air to flow over my head, so that isn't the problem, it's the air comingup from the sides of thetank.

This 'upflow' of wind was bad enough at speed that it would almost pull my t-shirt over my head, and liftthe glasses off my face. To me it was worse than the 'straight on' wind you get from running no windshield, and I didn't want add wind deflectors andadditional hardware to the front of the FatBoy.

Anyway, on the tripa couple days I made an amazing discovery (at leastto me) LoL... I noticed by riding in my normal position my legs/thighs were positioned a couple of inches from the sides of the gas tank, leaving a 'clear shot' for the wind toflow up the sides of the tank and slap me in the chest and face. By doing no more than moving my legs in closeragainst the tank on each side, I found that this blocked the upward air flow A BUNCH.. The difference was remarkable.

I don't know, something you might try, but it sure made a 100% difference in the buffeting to me...

Maybe I'll keep my windshield after all.