Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout footpeg restrictions per HD catalog

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 10:16 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 250 Posts
Default Breakout footpeg restrictions per HD catalog

Looking at the HD "Diamond" foot pegs in both black and chrome, I discovered something pretty interesting: The Breakout, and a number of other HD models are specifically excluded when HD lists the compatibility's by model, unless you buy pn 50500035 which has a "styled wear peg" ("feeler") attached.

The restriction includes all Sportsters, the Rockers, and 2011 and later FX and FXSB (Breakout).

Since all Harleys appear to use identical male/female foot peg mounts, it isn't a mounting incompatibility. So, it occurred to me, is it that the restricted models all have perhaps low ground clearance? In other words, does HD want you using these pegs that come with "feeler" because they want the feelers to hit before the primary cases or exhausts do?

This would make sense from a liability perspective, since without the feelers, once you hit the cases or exhausts, you are basically going to go down.

Thoughts?

Jim G

Old 04-27-2014, 10:35 PM
dmlogs0
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting point. I wondered about this since the slipstream pegs on the CVO Breakout don't come with wear pegs. I actually put the same offset from the CVO on my bike with the Slipstream pegs (without the wear pegs) and I definitely scrape sometimes. It's mostly the heel of my boots and sometime the pegs themselves, but I've never touched the primary or exhaust to the ground.

Attached Thumbnails Breakout footpeg restrictions per HD catalog-image-4103204146.jpg  
Old 04-27-2014, 11:11 PM
A-Hol
Advanced

I have the 5 in Harley extended foot pegs on mine. Work great... Just can't lean too far.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:39 PM
toddwebber
Novice

The CVO Breakout comes with them. My dealer removed them when they prepped it. If you see one come out of the crate, they are on the pegs. My heel hits the road before anything else. Thats my warning to let off the gas

Old 04-27-2014, 11:48 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Looking at the HD "Diamond" foot pegs in both black and chrome, I discovered something pretty interesting: The Breakout, and a number of other HD models are specifically excluded when HD lists the compatibility's by model, unless you buy pn 50500035 which has a "styled wear peg" ("feeler") attached.

The restriction includes all Sportsters, the Rockers, and 2011 and later FX and FXSB (Breakout).

Since all Harleys appear to use identical male/female foot peg mounts, it isn't a mounting incompatibility. So, it occurred to me, is it that the restricted models all have perhaps low ground clearance? In other words, does HD want you using these pegs that come with "feeler" because they want the feelers to hit before the primary cases or exhausts do?

This would make sense from a liability perspective, since without the feelers, once you hit the cases or exhausts, you are basically going to go down.

Thoughts?

Jim G
The Rocker pegs came out from the mount and angled downward then out for more leg room. The feeler was added I'd guess because of the reduced clearance with that downward angle.
I haven't looked closely at the Breakout's pegs, but since it's built on a Rocker leftover frame, I'd guess they are the same.
Any male mount peg meant for a HD would fit is my guess.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:53 AM
Todd1113
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

That is the only thing I don't like about my breakout is you can't lean it. I drag the feelers all the time but figured without them I'd have less "buffer" between dragging a little and something else hitting and taking me down.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:42 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds the same as our rockers. Any hd peg will work, but will be in a slightly diff. position. There is about a half in jog in the stock rocker pegs to give more room. It's only a half inch and I changed mine years ago and it took me 30 seconds to get used to it...not an issue unless the half inch bothers you...half inch is not much when your talking about pegs...other things, could be important...LOL.
Ride safe.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:12 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by dmlogs0
I actually put the same offset from the CVO on my bike with the Slipstream pegs (without the wear pegs) and I definitely scrape sometimes.
"offset" is the important word here. I had not realized that the CVO footpegs involved use of an offset. The reasons for use of an offset can be (a) ergonomics, or (b) safety, and based on the restrictions I noted above, it seems that what HD had in mind may indeed have been safety.

Jim G

Old 04-28-2014, 07:19 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
since without the feelers, once you hit the cases or exhausts, you are basically going to go down.

Thoughts?

Jim G
LOL, more BS. I hit my primary and exhaust more often than I care to, and have yet to come anywhere near "going down".

My current "pegs" are higher than stock as well as slightly closer to the bike, no issues here.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:52 AM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 24v
LOL, more BS. I hit my primary and exhaust more often than I care to, and have yet to come anywhere near "going down".

My current "pegs" are higher than stock as well as slightly closer to the bike, no issues here.
Once you touch down a primary or exhaust (at least an exhaust that is rigid enough to not simply bend), you introduce a "pivot" point for the bike that takes some weight off the tire. Taking that weight off the tire reduces your tire's hold against sliding. Basic physics. If you are dragging the exhaust and haven't gone down, it could be because the exhaust is deflecting under the load, allowing the tire to retain good contact with the road. If you are dragging the primary, you are riding the thin edge of traction. And, if you hit a bump that disturbs the tire contact with the road, while anything but the tires are touching the ground, the odds are that you will go down.

Your higher and tucked in pegs are of course a good solution to not dragging the pegs, but they take away your "warning" that you are near the edge.

You're probably a very good rider 24V, but your posting encourages others to try something that THEY might not be as successful executing as you are.

Jim G

The following users liked this post:
Breakout73 (05-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Breakout footpeg restrictions per HD catalog