Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail solo seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Triple M
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have a Mustang tripper. It is firm and very comfortable.

Attached Thumbnails softail solo seats-sany0008.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 10:33 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

greghockey American Upholstery in Orland park, right outside of Chicago. Google them. This stuff is not a gel insert, it actually a padding of sorts that is made from a gel substance. It's weird, it feels like a wet sponge yet it's bone dry. It's the most comfortable seat I have ever sat on. I did 3 seats, 2 backrests and I had my tear drop tool kit lined with auto trunk padding so nothing would rattle around. It also looks good for me when I open it at a bike show too. I got all that done for 1K which is NOT bad given the time, work and materials used. Good luck Dude, keep us posted.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:28 PM
fatfatboy
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Plus 1 on the Mustang Seat. I've tried others and will buy nothing but Mustang Seats.
Put one on my 03 Fatboy when it was about a year old and its as good as it ever was.

I just ordered another for my '14 Slim.
I ride a lot and my wife goes with so I go for the tour seat. Changes any bike from a 200 mile day bike to an 800 mile day bike and they come off in seconds for just putting around town on the good looking, butt hurting stocker which is only good for about 150 miles.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Geech
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm one of those 3 seat guys who is staring at a shelf with an easy $700 in seats on it right now and the factory seat on my bike, so I can speak to what didn't work for me. I'm still trying to figure out what to try next, but C&C is in the lead at the moment.

I purchased a Buttcrack Solo because it looked so damn cool - but I have to admit, if I have to travel more than 50 miles, before I park the bike for the day I absolutely hate the seat. I'm not really a bike night guy and prefer a 400 or 2500 mile 7 day trip, so those shorter runs "in style" are usually more like running errands on the bike for me, not what I consider my typical ride. It's a firm "comfortable" for about an hour max for me. I'm not a form over function guy, but once in a while I like stripping the bags off, strapping on the solo seat, and have the guilty pleasure of enjoying a shorter ride in style if I don't have far to go. But it's stiff... painfully stiff.

Since I'm 6'4" I also tried a tallboy seat thinking it would help with my legroom issue I'm battling despite adding Arlen Ness 3" extensions on the floor boards of my Heritage. All I can say is that seat makes it feel like I have a pillow case strapped to the top of a phone book. The height and higher center of gravity with low foam stability was too much for me to overcome on a ride long enough to really speak to it's comfort - so it's headed back to it's old home on ebay soon.

I also picked up a Le Para Daytona Full Length Sport Seat at the same time as the Buttcrack... I dislike this one as well, it lasted one ride, but not due only to the lack of comfort - it moved me so far forward I couldn't handle it. If you're under 6' tall and you don't mind a firm seat, it may be better for you (PM me if you have any interest in learning more, it's like new and doing nothing on my shelf back in the original packaging after 1 ride).

My Dad swears by his Mustang solo seat and so does his friend, but I sat on one and felt as though it moved me 1" forward which was a no go for me. A shame because it felt really comfortable.

Honestly, with the return policy on seats being so strict, if you can afford the time / money for a custom seat, it sounds like the only way to go unless you have a friend with a seat you like after a lengthy test ride.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:21 PM
linebacker u
Intermediate

If you need back support and a low profile seat, check out saddleman heels down renagade.It moves you closer to the bars and is much better than the le pera bare bones that was on my bike when i bought it.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:43 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by greghockey17
I bought a 13 softail slim this winter and was finally able to take it for my first decent ride yesterday. I swapped rides with my dad for a bit and we both said the same thing...the stock softail slim seat is awful! So anyways, i am debating between the Danny gray buttcrack solo or the mustang wide tripper solo. Any comments on seat position, comfort, etc are greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Check if The Ultimate seat company makes a seat for the slim. They are the best seat avail.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:45 AM
greghockey17
Novice

thanks everyone getting some good info. I have heard a lot of good things about mustang and its made in state so might look into that more. Anyone have experience with gelfoam? Is it worth it or not? Thanks

Old 04-22-2014, 07:50 AM
Wabbit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greghockey17
thanks everyone getting some good info. I have heard a lot of good things about mustang and its made in state so might look into that more. Anyone have experience with gelfoam? Is it worth it or not? Thanks
From what I have read, and told by the C&C folks, the gel reduces vibration, which is good for long rides, but it holds heat, which may cause other issues on a long ride. I decided to skip it and haven't had a problem with my C7C seat, very comfortable. The stock seat was awful.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:02 PM
fatfatboy
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

My bro put gel in his seat and it was fine as long as the bike didn't sit in the sun. If it did the gel got extremely hot and made the ride painful.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:15 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There are several forms "gel" out on the market today. There are the gel inserts and then there is the gelfoam. I have the gelfoam and I have not noticed any change in heat in the seat and it is the most comfortable seat I have sat on in all my years of riding. I believe what I have is the Pudgee orthopedic cushion which in fact is cool to the touch. Google and read if your going for a solo seat. There are all kinds of foam, thicknesses and densities of foam out there. A custom upholsterer should be able to fix you up and answer all your questions.

Quick Reply: softail solo seats