Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

full face helmet

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:48 PM
Pilzner
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: full face helmet

I started riding with a full helmet back in GA. Then in SC, I went with no helmet, and really did not use a helmet at all from 1989-2002 (off and on). Then Louisiana enacted a helmet law, and I got a half-helmet. I hated that thing - at the time I was on a V-Star with no windshield - my neck would be sore after anything over a half hour.

I moved here(VA) last Sep and bought my first Harley. Helmet law here, so I went with a 3/4. I then got a windshield and can wear my 3/4 with the visor up with now wind/buffeting. I'm going to get another half, since the windshield makes it enjoyable. I'm also going to get a full before next winter. So, I guess I will have all three types of helmets eventually.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:25 PM
bnsoftailrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone who replied.......ride safe

Old 03-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Stevenml155
Tourer

I have a half that I don't wear anymore - grew up racing moto-cross and always had full face. Used the half for about 6 months then decided I wanted to go back to a full face. Have a couple of dings on the visor where rocks and road debris has flipped up from trucks etc and glad that wasn't my face at 60 mph! Each their own, but I like my face and my full face helmet.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:40 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior

Nothing wrong with riding with a fullface. I normally use a 1/2 shell myself, and got totally away from even owning a fullface for several years, but then on a roadtrip about 8 years ago I got caught in a torrential downpour, and realized the fullface had it's uses. I picked up an HJC flipfront fullface. Kinda gives you the best of both worlds. A little noisier at highway speed, but also allows you the fun open faced, when it is either screaming hot, or you just want some fresh air on your cheeks. I highly recommend them. They're great.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:43 PM
CoolRide
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am amazed at how many "bikers" think a full face is not cool (around here anyway).
I had always worn full for motocross as a kid, then they were a natrual with my Kawa, Suz, Hon.

Then I bought my Harley and whoa!

Right now I am wearing an open face with red and black and gold metal flake maltes cross's on it and a clear bubble shield. My dad bought this helmet new in 1972 at the same time as his Norton.

Thankfully he never throws anything away and I was able to dig up his old lid when I bought my bike last year.

I get more comments about my "cool lid" than my bike, but Im not dumb enough to think that it will be of any help in the event of a crash, as I said I use to motocross and I know what breaking a full face is like.

Buddy of mine with a Dyna got a full "Harley Davidson" face from his wife last year, its still in the box cause she said "he's too cool for a full face" even one that says Harley Davidson. Weird.

However I asked if it would be rude of me to ask them to sell it and she said $75! Never worn and she would rather see somebody using it.

She wears a half too...hahahahaha

I just need to go get it now that spring is in the air.

Sammy

Old 03-29-2007, 05:14 PM
69Shark
Tourer

Full face moduler Always for my comute. Period. Freeway, longer rides, etc always get full face moduler. If I just run to the store or an evening ride, then I may use the half helmet. Recently bought a Caberg Moduler. Love it! I don't like the look but I tell ya, nothing like opening up the lid at a stop light when it is hot! It also has a flip down visor inside! Kinda goofy looking but if I'm riding and come around a corner and find the sun in my eyes, I just reach up and flip down the visor! Very nice!

Scott

Old 03-29-2007, 05:21 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I always wear a full face when riding.
Tom

Old 03-30-2007, 12:56 AM
Anniesage
Road Master

First, who gives a rats pituie what others think. Its about you - what you are comfortable with and what you want to wear.
Me-I have a full face but for me it gets too hot, too heavy for me and it limits what I see and hear - which really bugs me. I have a 3/4 that I wear when the outdoor temp is 42 or below; and I have a shortie that I wear most of the time. Especially when it is raining, the face shield covered with rain and the windshield covered with rain do not provide optimalseeing for me.But the 3/4 and full are a must for the colder weather riding.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:12 AM
TedCaaw
Intermediate

If I'm riding on the local roads I wear a half helmet . I like the visibility and the open feeling it provides. When I'm riding on the highway I wear a KBC modular helmet .As soon as I exit the freeway the chin bar flips up and I ride with it open.