Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail vibration??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014 | 08:48 PM
Idahokid
|
Road Master

Thanks for all the input.Sounds like a Fatboy is in my future.I can buy a bagger in a few years and both of best worlds.

Old 04-18-2014 | 09:22 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
The newer 103 6 gear transmission softails do not buzz at highway speeds. Many of us can do 80 mph in fifth gear without the slightest vibration. Do a test ride and find out for yourself. Don't rely on what people tell you.
====================================
The Fifth gear WHine in the 07-08-09 bikes-- Was never Vibration,,, it was what it was, A whine and THEN --- ONLY in some bikes.. -- Mine and many others didn't have any ---Or-- VERY Little...Whine.

The biggest whine they had was from all the NAY-SAYER'S and Bitchers about the older bikes was SOOOO much better than it was about the new (96'er TC.....

Which has now proven itself to be a great engine....

I've been in here long enough to have heard all the bitches and complaints from the EVo's to the 103's ... All I'll say is most of the grips are nothing more than Grips for a lot of people that don't know CHIT.. other than what they've heard...

True.. the Evo's was and is a great engine,, BUT the coming of the TC's was a great improvement also.. the 88's had Tensioners Issues,, The 96'er took care of most of that with the Hyd system...

the 103's are still to be proved,,, but I'll bet they are even BETTEr....

IMO The Good ole boys are a lot smarter than I am on the older bikes....

But some are are stuck in their time and wont advance to the new age of the TC engines.... IE the 88's --96'ers--and the 103's...

Old 04-18-2014 | 10:17 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by oct1949
====================================
The Fifth gear WHine in the 07-08-09 bikes-- Was never Vibration,,, it was what it was, A whine and THEN --- ONLY in some bikes.. -- Mine and many others didn't have any ---Or-- VERY Little...Whine.

The biggest whine they had was from all the NAY-SAYER'S and Bitchers about the older bikes was SOOOO much better than it was about the new (96'er TC.....

Which has now proven itself to be a great engine....

I've been in here long enough to have heard all the bitches and complaints from the EVo's to the 103's ... All I'll say is most of the grips are nothing more than Grips for a lot of people that don't know CHIT.. other than what they've heard...

True.. the Evo's was and is a great engine,, BUT the coming of the TC's was a great improvement also.. the 88's had Tensioners Issues,, The 96'er took care of most of that with the Hyd system...

the 103's are still to be proved,,, but I'll bet they are even BETTEr....

IMO The Good ole boys are a lot smarter than I am on the older bikes....

But some are are stuck in their time and wont advance to the new age of the TC engines.... IE the 88's --96'ers--and the 103's...
I couldn't agree more sir.

Old 04-19-2014 | 03:56 AM
wavesnwheels
Cruiser

I've got a 2014 breakout with the 103b engine in and I have noticed a vibration around 2-3000 in 5th and sixth. It mostly noticeable when I'm cruising in one of those gears and then when I pull back the throttle. I'm not sure if it is a fueling issue but the bike feels a bit reluctant but also definitely vibey. Once my new exhaust turns up and I address the fueling I will update.

I've come from a wide glide with the 103 engine and that didn't have any problems but no balancer shaft and rubber mounted.

Old 04-19-2014 | 05:39 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
This is true with older model softails but having owned and ridden tourers (09 RKC AND 11 ultra limited) for five years I can say with certainty that the newer softails with the 103 engine and 6 speed trans doesn't buzz at high speeds at all. It is a super smooth ride for those that do not enjoy the shake like me.
Thanks for the update.... the 103/6 speed is a different drivetrain altogether...

Like I said, I never noticed it until I put some miles on a bagger, but glad to hear it's been fixed......