Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shutoff Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014 | 03:04 PM
Isa4325
|
Advanced
Default Shutoff Switch

I just installed a Fuel Pump/Sensor Shutoff Switch, hidden under my fuel tank but accessible with my finger. Now when I park it no one can start it, will run till fuel pressure is gone, maybe 30 seconds. It simply turns off the ground to both units, safe and no worries of a short in a hot wire.
Makes me feel better about parking in the restaurant parking lots and mall lots.

Old 04-14-2014 | 05:09 PM
erbssr
Cruiser

Got a wiring diagram of that?

Old 04-14-2014 | 05:41 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Great idea, wish I had thought of it.

Old 04-14-2014 | 06:00 PM
olongapo1
Road Master

It's good to know that there are still a few old wrench's around that can implement creative ideas.

Old 04-14-2014 | 08:43 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

its the simple things that work the best.

many yrs ago while working at a dealer near a big city and car theft was rampant at the time I had a customers car that wouldn't start and that's not what it was in for.. I looked and looked for a alarm system, shut off etc.. finally I had the service writer call the cust and ask him wtf was going on.. 5 minutes later he came back laughing.. he said push the ashtray in.. I said what ? he said push the ashtray in, the guy had wired in a switch in the starter relay circuit and the ashtray had to be in for the car to start, pulled out a 1/4" it wouldn't start. the guy apologized for not pushing the ashtray in or letting us know on the nightdrop envelope.. pushed the tray in and it started right up.. sum bich..

Old 04-14-2014 | 10:29 PM
Isa4325
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
its the simple things that work the best.

many yrs ago while working at a dealer near a big city and car theft was rampant at the time I had a customers car that wouldn't start and that's not what it was in for.. I looked and looked for a alarm system, shut off etc.. finally I had the service writer call the cust and ask him wtf was going on.. 5 minutes later he came back laughing.. he said push the ashtray in.. I said what ? he said push the ashtray in, the guy had wired in a switch in the starter relay circuit and the ashtray had to be in for the car to start, pulled out a 1/4" it wouldn't start. the guy apologized for not pushing the ashtray in or letting us know on the nightdrop envelope.. pushed the tray in and it started right up.. sum bich..
Yeah, I use to do a relay on the turn signals so that the laft or right turn signal would half to be on or the car wouldn't start, or the doors had to be locked on a vehicle with power door locks. All were tied into the ignition, or the electric fuel pump.

Wiring diagram I can make and will post some time this week.

Old 04-15-2014 | 04:04 PM
Isa4325
|
Advanced
Default Wired Fuel Pump Swirch

OK, this is on a 2011 Cross Bones and I don't know what other models have the fuel pump mounted on top of the fuel tank.
1st - I removed the center console from the fuel tank by simply removing the chrome dome hex nut and lifting up the center console and laying if off to one side.
2nd - It exposed the plug that plugs into the fuel pump and sending unit.

The white arrow points to the plug in question.
There are 4 wires going into that plug and you will only be concerned with the all BLACK wire, not the Blk/Grn wire.
3rd - Strip the plastic wire cover back so you have about 4" of wire exposed. Cut the exposed black wire in the middle. Add a small barrel connector to both of the cut ends.
4th - Using a Double Pole Single Throw micro switch connect a black wire to both poles about 24" long each.
I mounted my switch under the right front side of the two passenger seat on my bike and ran the wires under the seat to under the leather tank strap to the Ground Wire I cut on the fuel pump connector and crimped both into the added barrel connectors I previously installed. Flipped the new switch off, turned on the main switch in the center console, then turned on the start switch on the handle bar. NO FUEL PUMP SOUND, Flipped the new micro switch on, and the fuel pump fired up, Cross Bones Started. With the micro switch in the off position the engine may start but run for approx 3 seconds, die and will not start again.

I hope this is informing, if not let me know what other help you need. Any Double Pole Single Throw Micro Switch will work. Why micro, cause it is easy to hide.

Last edited by Isa4325; 04-15-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2014 | 07:45 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior

Great idea. I've got a little security secret on mine as well. I'm a 1st Cav veteran as well. Vietnam 1967.

Old 04-15-2014 | 08:28 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

I'm retired military and have lived in at least 15 different cities in my life and I've never had anyone mess with much less steal any vehicle or bike.

Am I just lucky?
Could it be you guys are either just paranoid or live in bad neighborhoods?
Or is it you guys are just bored and like to tinker with things?

Either way, I like the way you guys think.

Old 04-15-2014 | 08:38 PM
Isa4325
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
Great idea. I've got a little security secret on mine as well. I'm a 1st Cav veteran as well. Vietnam 1967.
Vietnam 1967-1969 - 14 months 1st Cav Recon "Tunnel Rat", 83% Crazy. M1911 and a 12 ga Sawed Off Shotgun.

I'm always tinkering, as a tuner of race cars mostly drag racing and street rods I am always thinking of what else can I do. I don't have a alarm on the Cross Bones and the electric fuel pump is the best way to make a vehicle/cycle DEAD. I like dead, wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited by Isa4325; 04-23-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Shutoff Switch