Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homemade High Flow Air Cleaner on Crossbones???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 12:03 AM
thaHooligan
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Homemade High Flow Air Cleaner on Crossbones???

So rather than buying a high flow air cleaner kit for my Crossbones, I was wondering if I could just convert the stock one thats on it. I was thinking about cutting out some slots on the metal air cleaner on the front where the air would flow directly in and then putting a screen of some sort over the holes to keep all the bigger stuff out and then add a K&N filter. Would this work to make it a high flow air cleaner? I have some extra cash to get a fuelmoto micro tuner right now, but not sure when Ill have another couple hundred bucks extra for a high flow kit. I thought if it would work to convert the one I have, I could do that for now. Anyone know if that would work or not? Maybe its a dumb idea and Ive just had a few to many beers.lol

Old 04-12-2014, 12:29 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Hopefully some one on here can throw some pics up of this but, I've seen a thread or two on here where guys have cut a circle around the a/c out of their oval a/c cover, and using that circle cut out as the new a/c front cover. Opens it all right up while looking some what original. Look great IMO

Old 04-12-2014, 06:35 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a totally stock AC, you'll need to also remove the back plate to get the most airflow? But yes, I believe a high flow AC is essentially nothing more than removing the back plate and replacing the stock air filter.

You could also just run a K&N all by itself. I picked up the bigger version for more airflow and better proportion, painted the face black and bolted it on. Been using it like this for a few years now, haven't had any issues including some rain with no rain sock on it. Like Ink stated above, you could cut out the center of the stock AC and use that as a cover as well, or some have used an old CD.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:31 PM
Ink83
Road Warrior

Jreichart, what A/C is that exactly? I like it, it's ****in meaty

Old 04-12-2014, 04:24 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Ink83
You want MEATY? THIS is meaty:

Don't laugh. The regular size filter that came with that Forcewinder intake was ok, but installing this one - the largest one that K&N makes that would fit that intake, added 2 rwhp on the dyno, and was repeatable.

The rain sock made it look even tougher.

Jim G

Old 04-12-2014, 07:27 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ink83
Thanks man! It's the K&N HD-0700 IIRC. Fits the standard stage 1 backer plate, just had to get longer screws to attach it.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:43 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jreichart
Thanks man! It's the K&N HD-0700 IIRC. Fits the standard stage 1 backer plate, just had to get longer screws to attach it.
Cheers man, one day when I mod the motor more, ill change the a/c again and want to go something phat like that. Your train is one clean looking bike btw, i really admire it