Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Accident Today

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014 | 10:28 AM
HD and VETTE
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nickatnyt
Thanks for sharing your experience, and dam glad you are ok. What I will take from this is to 'still' leave more room than I think I need between myself and the vehicle in front of me when at a red light.
Always watch the other guy. Be safe and Ride Soon.

Old 04-13-2014 | 12:27 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master

Originally Posted by checkers
Is that you Dick? Or is it Rambo?
Yeah ok I'm the dick. Guy just had an accident and first words out of your mouth are "Did you learn anything?" If you would read the thread you would see he too used to be somewhat critical of people who got into accidents but found out sometimes they happen in the blink of an eye. I don't care how safety minded or careful you are things can still go wrong.

Old 04-13-2014 | 01:44 PM
erbssr
Cruiser

Make sure you don't stop in the blind spot. I get directly behind them in the middle of the lane & usually make lots of noise.

Old 04-13-2014 | 01:54 PM
lemonade_07flstc
Extreme HDF Member

Glad you're ok, hopefully just need to replace to brake pedal and nothing else is damaged.

Old 04-13-2014 | 02:02 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 08Nighttrain
Yeah ok I'm the dick. Guy just had an accident and first words out of your mouth are "Did you learn anything?" If you would read the thread you would see he too used to be somewhat critical of people who got into accidents but found out sometimes they happen in the blink of an eye. I don't care how safety minded or careful you are things can still go wrong.
Yep

Old 04-15-2014 | 03:37 PM
sioux565
|
Road Warrior

I got the estimate from the dealer today. $400 and some change. The rear brake lever, pad, and front turn signal cover were the only parts damaged, luckily. I did have to get the bike towed to the dealer, so that is a bulk of the cost.

Looks like I should be back on the road soon!

Old 04-15-2014 | 05:12 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by sioux565
Taken a different route to avoid city streets! Honestly, that is the only thing I could think of after I got home and thought about it. I feel that it could have been worse if he hit my front wheel. Between that possibly bouncing me off of the bike and dumping it, it could have caused more damage to the bike and myself. I was on the left half of the lane so he could see me in his driver side mirror and rear view mirror, but that wasn't enough to work in my favor.

I thought about calling the police, but after talking with the guy I decided not too. He seemed like a half-way decent guy who was just lost and in a hurry. He is a corrections officer and works a few miles from where I work. When I called his insurance agent, they already said that the guy called them to tell them the story. What they told me was the true story, so at least the guy is honest.
When you're behind someone assume that if they can't see you, you can't see them. You were most likely in the person's blind spot. They're still at fault of course, but maybe being more visible would have prevented the accident.

Old 04-15-2014 | 05:18 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by sioux565
Well, it finally happened. I was involved in my first motorcycle accident today.

I was riding back from the gun range and pulled up to a red light. There were cars on all side of me. The driver in front of me decided to back up because he missed his turn. Well, guess who was on his left side right behind him?

Before I could hit my horn and move out of the way, he backed right into me. I bounced back a few feet before I grabbed the brake. Luckily I kept my balance and the bike never went down. About three people got out of their cars to ask if I was alright and luckily I was. The driver got out and you could clearly tell he was shaken up.

We took a few minutes to exchange information and assess the damage. My brake pedal was bent back almost 90 degrees and my front right turn signal is a bit scuffed. From the way it seems, my brake pedal took all of the impact.

I was going to call the police, but I decided to check out his I.D. and copy his information down and leave. I was able to ride home, which was only a few miles away. I am going to take the bike into on of the dealers that I enjoy going too. Due to the fact that it was not my fault and since my Slim only has 1300 miles on it, I am going to make sure the entire bike is checked out for any more damage.

My only concern is that since it looks like the brake pedal took all of the impact, there might be more damage than what I can see. I'll be dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow and I can only hope that the process doesn't take too long.

The good news: I'm not hurt.
The bad news: My Slim will be out of commission for a few weeks, if not more.
You f***ed up. You should have called the cops and filed a police report. Now it`s just your word against his, unless it gets to court and witnesses for you show up. He may even claim you ran into him and cause you to pay HIM for damages to his car.

Old 04-15-2014 | 05:20 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by checkers
Did you learn anything from this? Is there anything you could have done different to prevent what happened?
Being back one full car length would have shortened the odds of being hit.