Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Accident Today

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014 | 10:09 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 07 deluxe
Always get a police report!!!!!!
Here in Vegas, the police don't come out and make reports unless there is an injury.

Old 04-12-2014 | 10:13 AM
Kurt G.
Intermediate

Sioux just curious how close did you pull up. Right now mine is so new to me that I give more room than I would in my car, however I understand if he just plain didn't see you that would give more room to build speed. I just want to know so hopefully I can learn from your misfortune. I hope all turns out well for you.

Old 04-12-2014 | 10:33 AM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Here in Vegas, the police don't come out and make reports unless there is an injury.
Same here in PA, a report isn't required unless there was an injury, or one or both vehicles was damaged to the point it couldn't leave the scene...
But I think they'll still come out if you ask them to.

Old 04-12-2014 | 11:56 AM
FurryOne
Road Master
Thumbs up

Glad to hear you're ok! This is one situation where a non-stock exhaust is sometimes a safety benefit - I know they know I'm there when I can see their rear view mirror vibrating to my exhaust note! As an aside, if you thick the car in front or aside you doesn't see you, you can always blip the throttle - it gets their attention quickly.

Old 04-12-2014 | 12:45 PM
sioux565
|
Road Warrior

Instead of multi-quoting some of the comments, I'll just make another broad comment.

I was about 10 feet behind the car and on the left side of the lane. He stopped well short of the intersection and within a few seconds of stopping, he put the car in reverse and started to back up.

I think I lucked out with this. If he would have hit the front tire, more damage could have been done and it could have bounced me off of the bike. If he hit any more to the side, the car could have caught my leg.

The only visual damage I could find was the brake pedal and my front, right turn signal cover is scratched. My right mirror was bent back, but there are no scratches on it.

Before this happened, I used to be judgmental when people would post about getting in accidents. Whether they were minor like mine, or if they were serious. I would always say, "You should have done that" or "Why didn't you do that". Now I realize that they can happen so fast and before you can even react, the damage is done.

The guy said, "He never saw me".

Old 04-12-2014 | 01:19 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Glad you are OK.
It would seem that the damage might be minimal based on the picture provided.
Also reads as if the other driver and yourself acted in a respectable and responsible manner after the incident.
No need to ding the individual with a ticket if he was respectful and contacted his insurance regarding the incident.
Hopefully it did not bend the frame at the brake pedal mounting point because that would suck.
Stuff happens sometimes and as long as people take responsibility then things should run relatively smoothly.
It would seem that you were behind the vehicle located far left of center based on brake pedal impact and the description provided.
You may have not have been visible in his center rear view mirror at first glance.

Old 04-12-2014 | 04:23 PM
sioux565
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by im
Glad you are OK.
It would seem that the damage might be minimal based on the picture provided.
Also reads as if the other driver and yourself acted in a respectable and responsible manner after the incident.
No need to ding the individual with a ticket if he was respectful and contacted his insurance regarding the incident.
Hopefully it did not bend the frame at the brake pedal mounting point because that would suck.
Stuff happens sometimes and as long as people take responsibility then things should run relatively smoothly.
It would seem that you were behind the vehicle located far left of center based on brake pedal impact and the description provided.
You may have not have been visible in his center rear view mirror at first glance.
That is the one thing I am worried about with the brake pedal. Chances are it just bent the pedal, but I want to make sure there is no frame damage.

I was more surprised at the fact that about 3 people who were waiting at the red light got out of their vehicles to see if I was alright. That was a bit surprising.

Old 04-12-2014 | 07:52 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 08Nighttrain
You sound like the F-ing company safety director. "Now how could you have avoided that accident?" "Because in our stupid corporate world we know that every accident is avoidable."
Whatever shut up! He didn't ask for the lesson of the story just saying what happened when a jackass backed into him. Go teach ARC somewhere else.
Is that you Dick? Or is it Rambo?

Old 04-12-2014 | 08:17 PM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by sioux565
The guy said, "He never saw me".
That's the usual reply when they never even looked...

Old 04-12-2014 | 10:58 PM
jett14
Tourer

Man that sucks, but if you gotta wreck I guess that's the way to go.....

Quick Reply: First Accident Today