Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is a new one.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 03:01 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This is a new one.....

I bought my '07 Standard last late July. Not long after I bought it every once in a while I would get a little oil leak on the primary side right behind the primary. I could never figure it out until one day I seen it dripping from the left side back corner of the oil tank. I ran my finger under there and sure enough fresh oil. I could never figure out where it was coming from. All the lines were okay and tight with now oil around them. It would happen just every once in a while also.

On saturday I rode it out to the dealer to have them put my chrome front end on. Guy called me later in the day to say it was done but informed me that it had leaked a good spot of oil. They traced it to the start and stop spot on the underside of the oil tank on the weld. Said it was a small area where it didn't get finished completely. That spot was on the right side of the bike just below the dipstick entry. Now it was leaking badly. Not like before where it would do it once in a while. It must of been a small leak and would run all the way to the otherside when on the jiffy stand.

I was always going to take it to the dealer to have them check it out but could never get it to happen consistent enough... Couple of times I read on here where some of you would experience "the leak" but atributed it to overfill which is what I thought it might be. I wasn't sure if there was a vent tube back there under the tank or not. Never took the time to look or at the manual. Then I got to thinking... you guys must mean the tubes on the 1stage... but that would mean it would run down the side of the engine.

So anyway... getting a new oil tank... under warranty. So if any of you find an unusual leak at the rear of the bike.... might check the weld on the early 07's.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:48 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: This is a new one.....

Glad they foundit and are taking care of it. What some of us have experienced is oil that drips out of the vent hose that runs behind the oil tank and in front of the mud guard on the rear tire. For me it is only every once in a while and only about a dime-size or smaller spot. I had mine into two different dealers and they found no leaks anywhere. From reading on here it seems this is just a problem that some people have if the oil level is filled over a certain point. I keep my oil level at about 70% of the operating range on the FULL HOT marker. Shovelhead Bob reccomended this to me, and it has seemed to work. I still get the spot now and again, but that's b/c the oil level is going to rise the hotter the oil gets, so depending on temp.my oil level may be at 65% or 75%.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:16 PM
TheGeek
Road Warrior

I have an '07 softail custom and believe it or not, I have an oil leak at the neck bearings. They said it is from when they assemble the front end. I have 2700 miles on it and it is still leaking. Well, how much oil did they put in there? It's driving me crazy. I put about 200 miles on it yesterday and I had oil all up onto my tank around the gas gauge and back down.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,823 Likes on 802 Posts

ORIGINAL: TheGeek

I have an '07 softail custom and believe it or not, I have an oil leak at the neck bearings. They said it is from when they assemble the front end. I have 2700 miles on it and it is still leaking. Well, how much oil did they put in there? It's driving me crazy. I put about 200 miles on it yesterday and I had oil all up onto my tank around the gas gauge and back down.
You sure that's not grease? I've never heard of oiling the neck bearings, but when they grease them, excess grease always oozes out and a bit get blown back onto the engine. The extra grease, while dirty, is good because it keeps water out of the bearings!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-26-2007, 05:26 PM
DanDeuce
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geek ,
You should not have any OIL leak from the neck bearings , the bearings are GREASED ! There is a zerk fitting for lubeing them , sometimes when new or if filled full some grease will work its way out . No biggie just wipe it off .

Old 03-26-2007, 05:28 PM
TheGeek
Road Warrior

I have had it greased, this is oil. It smells like machine oil, its very thin and just runs everywhere.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Softtail Bob
Road Captain

If it's oil you better be looking at the front forks for leaky seals.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:33 PM
MikeySom
Road Captain

Received 349 Likes on 151 Posts

Sounds like fork oil to me

Old 03-26-2007, 11:47 PM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Yea I'd bet fork oil. Had a similar issue with my 97 Heritage but not til about 37K miles.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:11 PM
quickbiker
Intermediate

When my previous bike started to leak at about 30k miles, I switched to PJ1 with seal swell in it, never leaked since, and I sold it with 60k miles on.