Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Bagger to Softail Slim

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:27 AM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default From Bagger to Softail Slim

Seriously considering getting rid of my 05 RK for a new Softail Slim. I just want to get back to a more basic bike & the Slim fits the bill. Would like to here feedback from anyone who has done this or just from Slim owners in general, especially if your around my age 59. How u like the ride, handling etc. If I do pull the trigger ABS&Sec. are mandatory. Thanx

Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

I went from an 11 ultra limited to a softail and well now I have two softails . Softails to me are the best motorcycles in the world. The softails are so smooth and effortless to ride. You don't have to be a pro to ride a softail because the bike seems to aligned itself to you and move as you do. I was told nobody trades down from a tourer but I don't have good listening skills so I did it anyway.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:57 AM
DMetcalf
Road Captain

I just 3 weeks ago went from a Ultra to a Softail Convertible CVO. The difference is incredible in that the Softail is so much easier to maneuver in any situation. I am enjoying this bike so much more than I did my bagger. I haven't taken any long trips yet but I really didn't take that many long trips non my bagger.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:40 AM
durtyburt
Tourer

One of my reasons is my wife no longer rides w/me & the lighter weight & ease of handling.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:57 AM
perryross
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

durtyburt
First off you will notice the ease of handling.
Then the kick *** power right out of the box IMO.

You may miss the storage situation as I did at first,
back pack, storage rack or sissy bar works for me.

I love mine.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:26 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by durtyburt
One of my reasons is my wife no longer rides w/me & the lighter weight & ease of handling.
When I was 60 I got rid of my Road King and got a Dyna Super Glide Custom for all the reasons you listed above as well as more involving ride. Ended up riding more.

I now have a Fat Boy Lo along with the Dyna, but if I could have only one, it would be the Dyna because it is lighter, faster, and handles better. A lot of fun. Not to sell the Lo short though. IT's a great bike as is the Slim but don't rule out the Dyna family. Great bikes, essence of motorcycling

Last edited by atlantaallen; 04-09-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

What about modifying what you have now? What about a lower seat, lower rear shocks, removal of the bags, windshield etc. Lighten it up first and try it out.

Test ride one and you may know right away.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:54 PM
durtyburt
Tourer

I've lowered my RK on both ends & added a daytripper seat. They don't look good w/out bags. I'm pushin' 5'8" & have sat on a Slim & like the feel, big fan of floorboards & fat front end. As far as Dynas go I like the new Low Rider reminds me of my '93, would like to take one out for test ride.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:56 PM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
I went from an 11 ultra limited to a softail and well now I have two softails . Softails to me are the best motorcycles in the world. The softails are so smooth and effortless to ride. You don't have to be a pro to ride a softail because the bike seems to aligned itself to you and move as you do. I was told nobody trades down from a tourer but I don't have good listening skills so I did it anyway.
Wow! Exactly my feeelings as well. I went from a 2010 Road King to a low
mileage 08 FXSTC I do not regret it one bit. I've had the Softail a year now
and I don't miss that heavy RK at all. I do agree with Tailsfrommycrib I don't think your trading "down" at all.

BTW I'm 66 you are never to old for a softail.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:22 PM
dmact
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile standard

Im 68 and ride 06 softail standard.Have done several 400 mile rides no problem.I think you will be happy.

Quick Reply: From Bagger to Softail Slim