Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From Bagger to Softail Slim

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 02:36 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I think you're gonna like your new girlfriend a ton better. Even though she might be harder on your back.

I believe they call come standard now with the ABS. My 2013 did not and wish I had added it.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Kiowa Pilot
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my new slim. I only have about 50 miles on the 2014. But have been seriously impressed with the speed, even with keeping the rpm under 3000, for the break in period. It shifts crazy smooth and handles like a dream. I would recommend a windshield as I was feeling a lot more wind then I am used to, not sure if it's the wider hand position.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:26 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I've never had or rode a bagger because the size of it worries/scares me. It just looks heavy and bulky. And when I sit on one, I get a cramp in my hip. I never thought they'd be that much wider than my bike. I'd like to one day but I'm not sure if I'll ever get that much confidence in myself.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:26 PM
fatfatboy
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by durtyburt
Seriously considering getting rid of my 05 RK for a new Softail Slim. I just want to get back to a more basic bike & the Slim fits the bill. Would like to here feedback from anyone who has done this or just from Slim owners in general, especially if your around my age 59. How u like the ride, handling etc. If I do pull the trigger ABS&Sec. are mandatory. Thanx
I made the trade today from Ultra to Slim. I'm 5'5" with 28" legs. I've been ridding a 2010 Ultra Classic since new. Traded her in with 34,000 miles on the clock. Though I love the hard bags, tunes, batwing fairing, tunes, big butt seat, tunes, lowers and did I mention the tunes, I still never felt comfortable while peddling in parking lots, gravel and at stop lights. Even after dropping the back end 1".

I like softails better (I have an 03 Fatboy also). With the softails I feel more in the bike instead of on the bike. They are lighter and easier to handle and with a windshield and a Mustang seat 800 mile days are no problem.

The ride home was joyful. The 103B motor is much smoother to me than the 103A motor. And with them now being 6 speeds there is no longer the handlebar buzz above 75 mph.

I've only managed 50 miles on the Slim today but I can already tell this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Will need to get another Mustang seat for the long hauls with me and the lady.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:13 PM
brockND
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
I think you're gonna like your new girlfriend a ton better. Even though she might be harder on your back.

I believe they call come standard now with the ABS. My 2013 did not and wish I had added it.
My '14 Slim does not have ABS. I have never had a cruiser with ABS but I did have a sport bike with it and was not a fan. The Slim is my first HD and I love it so far. Only have around 30 miles on it due to lovely North Dakota Weather but have loved every frozen miles this far.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:02 AM
Badbagger09
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I made the switch from a Street Glide to a Heritage 4 years ago. The smoothness of the engine, the great handling, and the way you sit in the bike is a joy to ride. Make the switch you will wonder why you didn't do it earlier...

Old 04-10-2014, 06:29 AM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

You will find the ride on the slim is sweet, one warning the stock seat is something of an afterthought, I put.a black line seat on mine and the miles melt away. congratulations the slim is sweet

Old 04-10-2014, 07:56 AM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I appreciate the feedback, ABS & Sec. add about $1,000 & yes I would definitley replace the seat. Thanx again.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Slim421
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a 2008 Streetglide to a 2013 Blackline.
I love the bike. The only down side is when I take a trip I have no bags to store my gear.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:37 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I absolutely love my Heritage, but bags for me are a requirement. Seems I always need to put something away. You will like the Softail, but you may miss the bags with the Slim.

Quick Reply: From Bagger to Softail Slim