Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker C upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014 | 01:27 PM
Arcanum
|
Intermediate
Default Rocker C upgrades

Hey there guys,

I'm new to riding Harleys, after years on Jap sports, I've got myself a 2009 Rocker C and am looking to modify it a little. Nothing drastic really. Drag bars, air cleaner, forward controls and maybe a springer front end. I'm not exactly loaded so these things will probably happen pretty slowly.

So, if you've got a Rocker C that you've tweaked in some way to make it all your own I'd love to hear, and even see pics, of what you've done.

All the best.

Old 04-08-2014 | 02:12 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

You'll need a full pot of coffee, but check out the Rocker picture thread.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-pictures.html

Old 04-08-2014 | 04:19 PM
Arcanum
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kowan
You'll need a full pot of coffee, but check out the Rocker picture thread.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-pictures.html
Coolness! Thanks mate...132 pages!!!!! You weren't kidding about the coffee! Well, here I go...

Old 04-08-2014 | 06:29 PM
rockerz
Road Master

Congrats on your Rocker

Feel free to ask questions as all of the Rocker guys are very helpful & knowledgable

Old 04-09-2014 | 01:03 PM
Arcanum
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rockerz
Congrats on your Rocker

Feel free to ask questions as all of the Rocker guys are very helpful & knowledgable
You can bet I'll be doing that mate, thanks.

Old 04-09-2014 | 02:53 PM
parrnan
Novice

Good luck in your bike mods because parts for FXCW/C are very rare as Harley Davidson really don't care about us Rocker's owners.

Most HD parts for FXCW/C are discontinued and no longer available. For example, I've found chrome wheels spacers for old 1990s HD models, but none for 2008-2011 Rockers... Yes Harley has let us down !

Old 04-10-2014 | 01:38 AM
TalonIILM
Cruiser
Smile UK Rocker

As said before put on the kettle and check out what we've done to make our Rockers ours. As you begin your journey sourcing parts etc ask us !!! Having lived in the UK I fully understand how dear harley stuff can be. (along with VAT) :-)

Attached Thumbnails Rocker C upgrades-cimg1402.jpg  
Old 04-10-2014 | 04:57 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by parrnan
Good luck in your bike mods because parts for FXCW/C are very rare as Harley Davidson really don't care about us Rocker's owners.

Most HD parts for FXCW/C are discontinued and no longer available. For example, I've found chrome wheels spacers for old 1990s HD models, but none for 2008-2011 Rockers... Yes Harley has let us down !
You just have to look elsewhere. I own a Deuce and many people on here say that it's in short supply of aftermarket. It is if you only pick up an HD catalogue. I've done a lot to my bike and since I've purchased it, most of the official HD parts have been removed and stuff from other manufactures have been put on and I've done most of the work myself.

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I'm handy enough with a wrench. These bikes are so simple that you can do most of the work yourself provided you have the proper tools. A shop manual may help to, but I don't even have one of those. In fact, when I get home from work this afternoon I'm removing the rear wheel replacing the shock on it.

Old 04-10-2014 | 08:31 AM
parrnan
Novice

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
You just have to look elsewhere. I own a Deuce and many people on here say that it's in short supply of aftermarket. It is if you only pick up an HD catalogue. I've done a lot to my bike and since I've purchased it, most of the official HD parts have been removed and stuff from other manufactures have been put on and I've done most of the work myself.

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I'm handy enough with a wrench. These bikes are so simple that you can do most of the work yourself provided you have the proper tools. A shop manual may help to, but I don't even have one of those. In fact, when I get home from work this afternoon I'm removing the rear wheel replacing the shock on it.
Yes, for some parts the aftermarket is the place to get them. For example, to relocate the licence plate placed on the rear fender by HD I'll probably go with a Roto-plate from Top Down Products, the seat is actually a Dany Grey one and the exhaust is a VH Big Radius, etc.

But for wheels I prefer the look of the Rocker's original wheels but chromed. I managed to get the chrome front one from a HD dealer who had it in its inventory but I'm unable to get the rear chrome one, which when available was only $389. If I want to have the equivalent on the aftermarket I'll have to pay $1,595 for a 18" x 8.5" Rear Rocker and Rocker C Replica Billet Wheel from Bitchin Seat co. $389 vs $1,595... Another option is to have my actual Rocker's rear wheel chromed at a local chrome shop, but it is also quite expensive, they ask me $1,200 plus sale taxes for a total of $1,380 to chrome the rear wheel. All these expenses because HD has let us down...

Last edited by parrnan; 04-10-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-12-2014 | 08:50 AM
Arcanum
|
Intermediate

Hey there guys, thanks very much for the replies.

parrnan I hear what you're saying mate, but I guess Harley Davidson have to keep moving forward to thrive as a company so models are going to be dropped to make way for the latest and greatest. That's just life really. It's always hard to take but if you love your model and don't want to simply move to a later Harley I guess you make do with after-market. If you love it, it's worth it, right?

TalonIILM I'm slowly going threw the Softail pictures thread for Rockers... trying to take it all in. I will be asking you guys mate, that was the main reason for joining the forum. I'm a novice when it comes to Harleys so I'll be relying on you guys to keep me straight. You're not wrong there, you almost need a mortgage to do some serious mods to a bike over here! Don't get me started on the %20 VAT!!!!!!!!

Village Idiot I'll be looking mainly at after market gear for all the things I'll be doing, simply because of the expansive choice more than anything else really.
I'm no mechanic myself, but I've worked on a good number of Jap bikes in my time and I have to say Harley's look like a far more accessible prospect than Jap stuff ever was. Harley's also don't look like they'll snap if you just look at them wrong! Goodbye Jap crap, I'll not miss you.
Tools however are a sore point, Harley's are still all imperial while everything over here in the UK is now metric! Meaning none of the tools I can buy will fit properly!! I also can't order a workshop Manuel because Harley won't ship overseas!!! Like you say, you can get by without the Manuel but it is a comfort to have one at hand, just in case.

Quick Reply: Rocker C upgrades