Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley change 66 to 70 tooth

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 10:52 PM
FXSTD.AU
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pulley change 66 to 70 tooth

I'm covering my bases by posting this in the Engine section of the board as well, but here's hoping for some softail specific informaiton...

I'm installing (or my dealer is installing on my behalf) a set of Arlen Ness rims on a 2007 Deuce. As part of the installation the matching Ness chrome pulley will also be installed, but the stock pulley on the Deuce has 66 teeth whereas the Arlen Ness pully that matches the rims has 70 teeth.

I also need to change the belt to a narrower belt (PN 40655-06), but thats straight forward. Can anyone tell me what if any change to performance this changine over of pullye's willmake?

Would any change be required to the transmission gearing ration to compensate?

My simple understanding is that the larger the tooth count, the quicker it spinsand the higher the revs. A 66 would also have greater power than a 70 tooth (same simle mechanism as a geared bicycle), but would the difference be noticable or determental in any way to the transmission or the engine?

Old 03-26-2007, 01:53 AM
chops
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pulley change 66 to 70 tooth

It all depends if you're happy with the stock gearing and how you ride (around town or winding out on the freeways)
Your final drive ratio will definitely change and you'll notice it....It will be quicker off the line, but say at 70mph you'll be revving 300-400rpm HIGHER. You'll need to go to nightrider.com or the multitude of other sites that have gear ratio plug in's to see exactly where you are now and what you will wind up with.

You have to know your primary sizes and tranny gear size to make comparisons.
I went from 70T pulley to 65T pulley (Fatboy) and it sucked...Compensated for that by going down two teeth on the tranny sprocket to get back to a stock feel, whick I like and works for me,of 3.12 Final.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:17 AM
FXSTD.AU
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks chops,

I'm a city dweller but do try and get it out on the open road when i can, so it's probably a 60-40 split between city and highway. It would seem that if i retain the stock settings on all other areas and just change the pulley, I'll have more low end torque but the trade off will be top end speed - probably only noticable in 6th and if I'm seeking to considerably exceed the speed limit.... though I'm having SERT installed as well so in upping the rev limiter to 6,200 from 5,500 i would probably be able to retain the same top speed though at higher revs (and with a lower fuel efficiency)?

Alternative therefore to retain similar performance to the stock settings would be to lose a tooth off the primary pully to compensate, yes?

Old 03-26-2007, 02:19 AM
HawgFoot
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did they change them on the 07 models ?
The stockDeuces have always ran a 70 tooth pulley in the past...

Old 03-28-2007, 08:08 AM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HawgFoot

Did they change them on the 07 models ?
The stockDeuces have always ran a 70 tooth pulley in the past...
This is what i thouight?

Did they change the final gearing for the six speed?

If they did what is the point in changing?

David