Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in Turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007 | 10:11 AM
flyboy9994
|
Tourer
Default Water in Turn signals

Hey All

Brand new Softail Custom, bone stock. Washed her up real good the other day and noticed ALL of my turn signals were full of soapy water. WTF??? I had to pop the lenses off and dry everything out. Keep in mind I use a soft spray of water and in no way direct a heavy spray of water on anything. I saw a black O-ring type seal inside of the signal housing but they are obviously not working.

Anybody else and any easy fixes??

Old 03-25-2007 | 11:49 AM
BoneCrusher
Road Master
Default RE: Water in Turn signals

Hate to say it but both my Harley's have done it and most of my friends rides have the same problem. I try to keep the the direct spray of the water off mine. I'll pop the lenses out and dry them if it's real bad otherwise I just let it dry on it's own.

Old 03-25-2007 | 11:58 AM
DaveJ
Road Master

When I put my lenses on, I put the slot on the bottom. This seems to help prevent water from getting in there, and if it does, it drains easier.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-25-2007 | 12:42 PM
Splatter
Road Master

My first comment would be of all the stuff I've read on washing bikes there's only one thing they all agree on -- don't use a sprayer on your bike.

Second, the design of the turn signals allows water to penetrate and drain; so you don't have a problem with water getting in, you have a problem with water getting out. The idea of putting the coin slot at the bottom is probably a godd one. You could also drill the lower edge of the lens if it's a chronic problem for you.

The only o-ring I'v seen on mine is the gasket that keeps water from infiltrating past the reclector and into the body of the turn signal.

Old 03-25-2007 | 06:54 PM
Heritage07
Road Warrior

I used to have that problem with my 91 sporty riding in the rain. I ended up drilling one small drain hole in the bottom of each lense. Worked like a charm.

Old 03-25-2007 | 09:58 PM
clueless
Tourer

I called the 800 Harley number and complained. They acted like they never heard of the issue. its a design flaw I think in the gasket. the gasket should be located at the LIP of the lens not the inside, If you look at the lens cap you see the base is not flat because of the tabs. the water is coming in around in-between the tabs where there is no contact with the gasket. they either need to make a lens cap that is flat all the way around the base and one big tab that snaps in (I am guessing too hard to remove). OR put a sealing gasket on the EDGE of the turnsignal housing that would sit flush agains the lens when the lens is installed.

I would call Harley and just file a simple complaint so they do something about it for future models. I am guessing alot of guys are changing out the stock turnsignals anyway so they dont care.

Old 03-25-2007 | 10:34 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

If its a real problem I would drill the hole in the bottom and use a little bit of vasoline around the edge of the lens as a sealent. Has anyone tried to find an o-ring at the local Home Depot or Lowes that will fit around the lens edge?
Above all make sure the socket and bulb base are bothwell coated with dielectric grease. It won't stop the water from getting in, but it will prevent it from corroding the bulb and socket wrecking it on you.

Old 03-25-2007 | 11:31 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer

Use after market sig lights or better yet just get rid of them.....................

Old 03-25-2007 | 11:50 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame problem here and on most stock HD bullets I know... Major Harley *****-up!

I will manage to seal mine in a reversible manner, I'll let you know what I came up with when I do.

Regards.

Old 03-26-2007 | 01:21 AM
bcox
Road Master

ORIGINAL: DaveJ

When I put my lenses on, I put the slot on the bottom. This seems to help prevent water from getting in there, and if it does, it drains easier.
[align=left][/align]
My thought exactly.