Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile service

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:05 AM
sutphen871
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000 mile service

Just throwing this out there what are your opinions on the first service. Is it worth the money? Working in the dealer new car and truck business and what goes on behind the scenes I really can't justify the ridiculous price that they want. Being a tech for too many years doing the first service is pretty easy just worried about down the road with the warranty. Will that come back and haunt me if I do it?

Old 03-31-2014, 09:23 AM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You answered your own question about whether it's worth the money since you were a tech. Nothing will come back to haunt you if you do it yourself, just save all your receipts for fluids, etc.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 AM
Falcon195
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by streeteagle
You answered your own question about whether it's worth the money since you were a tech. Nothing will come back to haunt you if you do it yourself, just save all your receipts for fluids, etc.
Do your own service and as mention keep your receipts . No reason to pay the dealer the prices they charge for service.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:05 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 793 Likes on 386 Posts

I do all of my own service, including the 1k.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Goldtop Dude
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the 1k and 5k are the most important service dates for a motorcycle as everything is tightened and reset to factory specs.

Don't do my own wrench'n, however if I did , I'd still let the dealer do the 1k. My .02

Old 04-02-2014, 09:28 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldtop Dude
I think the 1k and 5k are the most important service dates for a motorcycle as everything is tightened and reset to factory specs.

Don't do my own wrench'n, however if I did , I'd still let the dealer do the 1k. My .02
I let the dealer do my 1K since there's more to it than just fluids changes.
Besides I like the idea of them having the record for warranty purposes.

I did the same on another bike I had last year and during the 1K they found I had pick up a rock or two, as the rear sprocket was dinged in a couple spots, plus the belt was as well.
It was so slight I never would have caught it.
They replaced both under warranty and saved me a grand.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:58 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 1k

I would say it was worth it if they did every thing they are supposed to,but there is no guarantee that they will most dealers have them clock in on a job and out when finished. I went in for the one and five k check ups and I am sure I got ripped off . The two times I brought my bike in when I left I felt no difference at all. When I hit 10.000 I brought my bike into a independent shop who has a great rep. When I left the shop I could not believe it it was like riding a different bike the response was incredible I touched the throttle and could see a big difference when I shifted it was smooth as silk and that was the end of the dealer for ever. I change my fluids and do other maintenance but when it's something like cam tensioner or seals in the tranny I have a couple of great wrenches I use.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:34 PM
HD and VETTE
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jam436
I let the dealer do my 1K since there's more to it than just fluids changes.
I agree with this train of thought however I have done my other services myself. But the HDealer can get you, my son took his Heritage in for the 5k and later told him we should of done it. He said no big deal until I noted they changed plugs changed all 3 fluids and all this came to 4 bills, I told him I did my 5k for $80. parts. So just watch they will take advantage of you.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:35 PM
billatstarbrite
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 1K service will catch loose bolts, etc and stuff that should have been done at factory but might not have been.

It also is a key factor in ensuring the bike's warranty remains in effect. That alone is why you should strongly consider having it done as the MoCo says to do, by a HD-certified tech, not at Nick & Tony's pizza and oil changes.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:35 PM
sutphen871
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys seen the Ford commercials right with that Mike guy from dirty jobs. You think dealer's are going to stick their best techs on a oil changes. I laugh my butt off just watching the wrong perception they give people. Like I said new car dealers stick green horns on oil changes and good techs on cash maintenance items. That's why I can't justify the 400 that they want.

Quick Reply: 1000 mile service