Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ONE Breakout mirror solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 07:59 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts
Default ONE Breakout mirror solution

A number of Breakout owners have complained that they cannot see the road behind them through the stock mirrors. There is a solution.

First, the problem is not "really" the stock mirrors. It is the short overall length of the Breakout "drag bar" handlebar - just 33 inches.

This "narrow" bar length results in you getting a really nice view of your arms and shoulders, even with the stock mirrors that work just fine on many other HD models.

I spent some quality time at the local HD shop, measuring a bunch of available mirrors, but looking specifically for 2 attributes:

- a significantly longer distance from the center of the stem mounting bolt to the outside tip of the mirror. The stock mirrors measurement is about 6 1/4 inches, so I was looking for mirrors with a significantly longer measurement

- an overall height, from base of mirror stem to topmost edge of mirror, that was as low as possible, since the Breakout is all about "low", so to look right the mirrors should be pretty "slammed".

I found a pair of mirrors that fit the bill perfectly: The HD "Tribal" mirrors, part no. 92398-09. These mirrors have a stem bolt to outside tip of mirror that is about 8 inches - significantly more than the stock 6 1/4 inches. Plus, they are "convex" (show a wider area than flat mirror glass), PLUS they are truly "slammed" in height.

Here are photos:

Here is a photo with the stock mirrors, for comparison:

These new mirrors work GREAT. I can see everything right in the lane right behind me, in either mirror, and of course everything to either side. And by the way, I wear a size XL jacket, so it's not like I am tiny.

And, as you can see, the combination of low overall height, "slit" type shape, and the black color, really changes the appearance of the bike. Much more sinister.

A successful minor change.

Jim G

Old 03-30-2014, 08:05 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I have my mirrors pointed so I can see behind me, which makes my body reflection in the inner part of the mirrors. That's where I added those round, rotatable convex mirrors, which means I have zero blind spots.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Yo Nadz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can the stock mirrors be flipped to hang below the drag bar? If so, does that help at all with line of sight?

Old 03-30-2014, 09:27 PM
JiXeR
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

micro and i had MAJOR issues with the exact same problem. within a week or so of owning the bike, we got these:

Amazon.com: Magazi mirror Venom black iron gray motorcycle trike sportster bobber cruiser street naked road bike: Automotive Amazon.com: Magazi mirror Venom black iron gray motorcycle trike sportster bobber cruiser street naked road bike: Automotive

looooove these mirrors. adjustable at two points, so there's no problem getting them into a good spot. doesn't hurt that they look fantastic on the bike either.

Last edited by JiXeR; 03-30-2014 at 09:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
B.K. (02-13-2018)
Old 03-30-2014, 09:29 PM
JimGnitecki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Yo Nadz
Can the stock mirrors be flipped to hang below the drag bar? If so, does that help at all with line of sight?
No, on the Breakout they cannot be flipped because the turn signals are fastened to the bottom of the mirror shaft, and the signals will only fit in that location (they have a tab on them to align them correctly).

Plus, I'm pretty sure the mirrors, if mounted UNDER the bars, would hit the tank when turning. The Breakout handlebar is VERY low.

Jim G

Old 03-31-2014, 12:20 AM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JiXeR
micro and i had MAJOR issues with the exact same problem. within a week or so of owning the bike, we got these:

Amazon.com: Magazi mirror Venom black iron gray motorcycle trike sportster bobber cruiser street naked road bike: Automotive

looooove these mirrors. adjustable at two points, so there's no problem getting them into a good spot. doesn't hurt that they look fantastic on the bike either.
If I hadn't already shelled out the cash last year for the tribals I'm using on mine, I'd be buying a set of those. I still may, just haven't decided yet. Those Magazi's look really nice.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:11 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
No, on the Breakout they cannot be flipped because the turn signals are fastened to the bottom of the mirror shaft, and the signals will only fit in that location (they have a tab on them to align them correctly).

Plus, I'm pretty sure the mirrors, if mounted UNDER the bars, would hit the tank when turning. The Breakout handlebar is VERY low.

Jim G
Couldn't you just leave the signals, and run the mirror below them?

But, yes they will hit the tank with stock bars/risers. You may be able to swivel them way forward to clear, but then I don't think you could angle the mirror back enough to be able to see correctly.

BTW, I love the Tribals on a Breakout. I would still be running them if they had enough adjustment for me.

Last edited by 24v; 03-31-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:21 AM
Killer Squirrel
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With my Kuryakyn scythe mirrors I can see great as well, and they fit nicely into the lean look. I tried moving them below the bars and even with the turn sigs removed altogether they still hit the tank.

The following users liked this post:
B.K. (02-13-2018)
Old 03-31-2014, 05:06 PM
Breakout Boy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not "tiny" either so thanks for the info.
Scott

Old 03-31-2014, 07:56 PM
JiXeR
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Breakout Boy
I'm not "tiny" either so thanks for the info.
Scott
join the club. the membership fee is a bucket of fried chicken.