Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout front flush mount axle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 07:16 PM
puzzled1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Breakout front flush mount axle?

Has anyone installed a front flush mount axle on a Breakout yet.

I have pics of one from a show but don't recall seeing any anywhere else.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:23 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

The only one I have found so far that says it fits is the Adjure axle. There are many others that look the same, but say they are for touring bikes only. If you look up stock axle part numbers, most newer Softails, including the Breakout, use the same axle as the touring bikes. So, I figured we should be able to use the axles designed for the newer touring bikes.

I spoke with Hogpro about this and tried to get them to sell me an axle under the condition that if it did not fit I could get my $ back, and if it did, they got free r&d and a new model to market their axle to. No dice. Wouldn't even try it if I brought the bike to their shop.

Then I called FBI, they had an HD dealer try one on a Breakout and said it did not fit. Something about the end caps not being sized correctly.

Honestly, I'm not convinced that it will not work. Maybe a little work with a grinder on the caps or something, but from looking at the Breakout and Touring bikes at the dealer, I can't see what would be the issue.

I intend to try this at some point, just not ready to drop $100 on a guess at this moment as I am working on other projects on my bike. If someone found a black capped flush mount axle that would work for sure right now, I would buy it without a hesitation.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:12 PM
puzzled1
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the reply.

I've had similar experiences as you have.